Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Watkins brand bug spray?

Is it effective in repelling ticks and mosquitoes?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,103 Posts
That is what they advertise it for. Should do the job

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,631 Posts
Permethrin on clothes, DEET on skin...ftw.
As someone who has to ramble through the bramble for a job, I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Use the kind of concentrated permethrin that you soak clothes in. It lasts for something like 8 washes if I'm not mistaken. I get a 32 oz. bottle for something like $45 with shipping included and that makes 16 gallons of solution for soaking clothes. That's a lot of clothes! Just be careful using it if you have a cat and don't let them come into contact with any wet solution.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As someone who has to ramble through the bramble for a job, I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Use the kind of concentrated permethrin that you soak clothes in. It lasts for something like 8 washes if I'm not mistaken. I get a 32 oz. bottle for something like $45 with shipping included and that makes 16 gallons of solution for soaking clothes. That's a lot of clothes! Just be careful using it if you have a cat and don't let them come into contact with any wet solution.
do you wash clothes permetherin along with detergent too?

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,631 Posts
do you wash clothes permetherin along with detergent too?
You just soak them while they're clean and then let them dry. Then you can wash them a few times before you do it again. So you don't really want to put the solution in the wash.

·
Fart smeller
17,756 Posts
Can use picardin to keep pesky Picards away ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Picardin doesn’t last a half hour here if you sweat. Permethrin soaked clothes work the best. Washing clothes is fine. Air drying is best. Apparently clothes bouncing around in the dryer knocks the permethrin off the fabric.

Deep woods off works for your skin, but it eats plastic, rubber and paint.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,075 Posts
Move faster.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Wait until tick and mosquito season has subsided then head to the out of doors to enjoy nature's bounty.

·
Registered
9,739 Posts
^^^ where I was riding that would be basically only when there was significant snow on the ground. Heck, even with snow there'd be ticks.

·
Registered
946 Posts
In my experience, picaradin and deet seem to both repel mosquitoes about the same. However, picaradin has a much more friendly toxicology profile and doesn't smell anywhere near as bad. My spouse encountered the registration materials for picaradin in her job and was part of the reevaluation of Deet that eliminated the high concentration Deet products. The cancer risk was too high at 98% deet, It is not as high with the lower concentration products, but it is still there.

I tend to use whatever is at hand but I use picaradin based repellents on dogs due to the strong deet odor and the dogs obvious dislike of deet.

I also spray my pants with the strongest deet product available before riding or hiking in tick infested areas. It seems to work ok.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I tried picardin scent free repel while just shooting target archery. Standing basically still, just sweating in place. Half an hour was generous. Mosquitoes,gnats,deer flies, and horse flies would bite right through. 40% feet works fine. Other than eating the rubber, plastic,paint etc I mentioned above.

Permethrin for the win!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Permethrin on clothes, DEET on skin...ftw.
Indeed. Works best with long sleeves.

Same as above. Though don't overdo it with concentrated permethrin, your skin might not like it. You may also combine it with mosquito repellent bracelets similar to these. I heard those are fine for their price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts