Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo. Our commuters live outside and often sit in the rain. Leather saddles or seats with any holes in the upper material turn into sponges which soak your butt when you sit on them and squeeze the water out of the foam. I have an old Avocet O2 which has a synthetic material and no nics so it does not absorb much water which is nice. Have any commuters found particularly butt-not-soaking saddles they like? A waterproof saddle cover is another possibility but they often don't fit well and feel odd. Throwing a bag over the seat to keep it dry is a total bother. The saddle does not need to be that comfortable per se, but it would be a bonus.

Happy pedaling.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I picked up a Lookin saddle cheap from Nashbar a while ago, it repels water very well. A quick wipe with a glove and it's dry. Not the most comfortable, but for an hour or so it's fine. Don't know the model, I checked Lookin's site but it's a big Flashy mess.

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
for my commuters i go through the box of factory saddles that customers upgraded when buying a new bike at my lbs. I've gone through a few but my favorites are the Marin saddles. I have 3 now, got them for a couple of bucks each, and they seem to have just enough padding, are comfortable, and waterproof.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,771 Posts
Selle Italia Flite Evolution?

Sure, its a bit spendy for a commuter but what the heck. The carbon shell repels water great; it just rolls right off. Super comfy too (well in my opioion anyway)!

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,771 Posts
Yup

They're "softer" than a regular Flite saddle. They give more and conform to your butt.
I was a little leary at first but it's the only saddle I put serious miles on now.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Shayne said:
They're "softer" than a regular Flite saddle. They give more and conform to your butt.
I was a little leary at first but it's the only saddle I put serious miles on now.
I didn't find mine soft or giving at all. It was a hard, carbon shell. Needless to say I didn't own it for long.

·
Bicyclist
2,974 Posts
The old (circa 1998-2001?) WTB SST.X Flash is a great commuter saddle. Don't confuse it with other synthetic covered WTB SST.X's though because these have thicker, very firm padding under the waterproof glitter vinyl cover. They're very comfy and pretty hard to kill. You used to be able to find them for around 5-10 bucks new but they're getting harder to find.

https://cgi.ebay.com/WTB-SST-X-SADD...ryZ22693QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have 5 or 6 of them I think.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.