Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought an Endura Event Pants. Its a very nice pants but there is a problem. The hip part of the pants is made from reinforced fabric (in order to prevent seat damage) and the problem is that this part is not fully waterproof but its water-resistant.

Im riding in the rain, when the roads are very wet. I dont use a fender so my hips were very wet today.

Is this a defect or all the cycling pants are the same? (water resistant in the reinforced crotch?)

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
If you have purchased

pants that are designed for DH or FR use, then no they are not waterproof.

If you need waterproof pants try a outdoors outlet like REI or similar. They will not be heavy duty material for DH/FR, but for commuting.

Jim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JimC. said:

If you need waterproof pants try a outdoors outlet like REI or similar. They will not be heavy duty material for DH/FR, but for commuting.

Jim
Jim all the parts of the pants is water-proof. But how come the reinforced seat area is not? This is weird.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
the fabric probably has a DWR coating on it ( durable water repellent) but as to WHY they didn't use a water PROOF fabric, any possible reasons
- cost of the best waterproof fabric
-waterproof coatings don't take the abuse/strain of the crotch area too well and tend to crack, break, peel, disinter grate and become not waterproof in a hurry

Unless you spend top dollar on some heavy duty waterproof gear ( ie, Alaska fishing wear) you'll probably get wet. Truly water proof stuff will be a sauna suit for bike riding. Goretex doesn't vent aerobic activity fast enough to keep you dry, or lightwear rain gear probably won't hold up to the abuse of mountain biking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
formica said:
the fabric probably has a DWR coating on it ( durable water repellent) but as to WHY they didn't use a water PROOF fabric, any possible reasons
- cost of the best waterproof fabric
-waterproof coatings don't take the abuse/strain of the crotch area too well and tend to crack, break, peel, disinter grate and become not waterproof in a hurry

Unless you spend top dollar on some heavy duty waterproof gear ( ie, Alaska fishing wear) you'll probably get wet. Truly water proof stuff will be a sauna suit for bike riding. Goretex doesn't vent aerobic activity fast enough to keep you dry, or lightwear rain gear probably won't hold up to the abuse of mountain biking.
formica, thanks a lot for the great reply. I was going to give the pants back and get another brand with waterproof reinforced seat. But i think as all the cycling-specific pants have a reinforced area, all of them are water-resistant (not waterproof)

There are fully water-proof pants also but if i use them, they will soon tear in the seat area, so it will be useless...

I better use Fenders?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wearing waterproof clothing while riding is a losing battle. If you get something that is very waterproof it'll just trap sweat. Even so-called 'breathable' fabric such as gore-tex.

If it rains you should just accept that you're going to get wet. Fenders will help slightly but won't stop you from getting wet. If you wear proper wicking fabrics you won't get cold even in the coldest temperatures. 'waterproof' shell wear is only really useful to prevent wind chill or abrasion.

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
JimC. said:

Jim
I just got a pair of these. i haven't tried them, but will find out how well they hold up this week. i felt they fit better over pants then the cycling version.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Well, Endura does use the term water proof in their description of the product (http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=133&prod_id=30) but that's just up to a degree as they also promote that it's breathable; there's a tradeoff somewhere. I'd rather have the breatheability rather than absolute waterproof. A good rear fender might keep you a bit drier (I've had rear fenders that mount to your seatpost swing off center during rides, getting the nice ass shower anyways).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.