Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eastern Canada, near Toronto, ON

Wanted Waterproof lobster mitt / glove shells for wet/cold commuting weather.

Yes in theory nothing should get through WATERPROOF, but I am not holding my breath based on personal experience and drying time for my thinsulate(SP?) lobsters.

SO i am looking for a WP Lobster style shell, that I can wear over thin Wool or Synthetic gloves that I can swap as necessary for drying.

Chainstores are preferable if I need to order outside of Canada, but great service wins the order.

Thanks in advance for any help.:thumbsup:

Stosh
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
If you haven't considered pogies (bar / control covers), also consider that idea. I got some for US$18 at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OF91IS For gloves, I'm using military-surplus wool gloves inside a shell glove, which certainly does make it easy to dry them and/or swap to dry liners.
 

· Bedwards Of The West
Joined
·
5,327 Posts
I have the Pearl Izumi lobster gloves, and they're pretty good. They're too hot down to 20*F or so (-7 C) and not quite warm enough for me when used by themselves when you get down to about zero* F (-18 C). With liner gloves they are toasty, and would be good to go at much lower temps. They are pretty weatherproof. It's usually frozen up pretty good when I'm wearing them, so I don't deal with a lot of wet, but when I have had them on in the slush with no fenders, they have kept my hands totally dry.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
CommuterBoy said:
I have the Pearl Izumi lobster gloves, and they're pretty good. They're too hot down to 20*F or so (-7 C) and not quite warm enough for me when used by themselves when you get down to about zero* F (-18 C). With liner gloves they are toasty, and would be good to go at much lower temps. They are pretty weatherproof. It's usually frozen up pretty good when I'm wearing them, so I don't deal with a lot of wet, but when I have had them on in the slush with no fenders, they have kept my hands totally dry.
ditto. i am looking for some thin polypro liners to use with them.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,936 Posts
I think Pearl Izumi changed something about their gloves a few years ago because they suddenly sucked. Maybe they changed them back or I had a bad pair? My original gloves were great but the newer ones weren't warm at all. I've been wearing Walmart gloves the last two winters and they work better than any cycling glove I've tried.

I have no experience with these gloves but they might be worth a look.
http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/Satellite/MenGloves

Here's a cool video on Gore's winter products.
http://www.youtube.com/user/competitivecyclist#p/u/6/hUOKewZcH2g
 

· More than a little slow
Joined
·
654 Posts
limba said:
I think Pearl Izumi changed something about their gloves a few years ago because they suddenly sucked. Maybe they changed them back or I had a bad pair? My original gloves were great but the newer ones weren't warm at all.
Yeah, that's what I have been thinking too.

I've been doing fairly well with climbing gloves and wool liners, but I'm still willing to try something else
 

· Which way? Uphill.
Joined
·
838 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
12,026 Posts
Stosh (Canada) said:
Eastern Canada, near Toronto, ON

Wanted Waterproof lobster mitt / glove shells for wet/cold commuting weather.

Yes in theory nothing should get through WATERPROOF, but I am not holding my breath based on personal experience and drying time for my thinsulate(SP?) lobsters.

SO i am looking for a WP Lobster style shell, that I can wear over thin Wool or Synthetic gloves that I can swap as necessary for drying.

Chainstores are preferable if I need to order outside of Canada, but great service wins the order.

Thanks in advance for any help.:thumbsup:

Stosh
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302698971&bmUID=1261067798450

I have used these for three winters, work great okay for 30 minutes at -35 C, with wind.

Almost totaly wind proof and water proof...if your sweating pull out the liner and put them in your pocket.
 

· Mantis, Paramount, Campy
Joined
·
4,778 Posts
Yes

PI was bought out a few years ago and all their products went waaaaay downhill.
Ther're either on their own again or were picked up by another company so I'm hoping for better things in the future.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
The Mec stuff looks promising.

I liked the Pearls initially, but in the cold they leak air on the sides between the fingers and that transforms them into being useless on a day with some wind.

The pogies (ATV bar mitts) work the best for cold, but they will likely absorb water. I don't know about keeping the hands dry, as I've only used them in cold conditions. They were great yesterday at 3 F.

But I've had no luck in finding good waterproof gloves/mitts. I'm beginning to think they don't exist, because I've looked and tried a bunch over the years. Nothing has shed water well.
 

· Bedwards Of The West
Joined
·
5,327 Posts
^^ I haven't noticed an air leak in my lobsters...maybe I got lucky in an era of poor quality control? I've had them for a year and a half...not sure if I have 'old' ones or 'new' ones.

I have some nice Burton snowboard gloves. They are totally wind/waterproof, have liner gloves, and are as warm and waterproof as you need...but they are super bulky on the bike. I don't like wearing them on the bike at all. But it's an option if you haven't looked into it.

Also, I have heard a few guys talk about Ice Climbing gloves as being really good for the bike. They are waterproof/windproof, and designed for using your fingers...I'm going to try these next. There are several brands out there. My softshell jacket (mountain hardwear) is designed for ice climbing, and I can't stop gushing about how much I'm in love with it, so I have high hopes for the gloves.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CommuterBoy said:
Also, I have heard a few guys talk about Ice Climbing gloves as being really good for the bike.
Hmmm. Had not looked at this route. Gotta look it how long it will take to dry the liner when I screw up though.

Between this or ATV/Motocycle pogies I think you all have found different solutions to the same problem

Thanks again

Stosh
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
I have a pair of OR Pro Alti ice climbing gloves and they are the deal. I bought them when I lived and worked in Valdez AK and did a lot of snowshoeing as well as making trecherous work trips in the winter to place like McCarthy. Fun for sure, but crazy cold -45 degree temps dictate quality cold weather gear you can trust. The Alti's have a gore shell and a nice long cuff with speed draws to help keep the cold, snow and wet weather at bay. The gloves have nice pre-curved fingers which makes them a little easier to use and they are pretty grippy to boot. The downside is they aren't cheap, and they are a little bulky, but in my opinion still usable for things like cycling and other activities that require finger dexterity.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Rode last weekend 25 degrees, Plant Bike Borealis. Hands warm. Supposedly waterproof, but if its raining here in the PNW its not as cold so I would be wearing a lighter waterproof Endura Gore Tex glove. Have a newer pair of Castelli that are not warm or dry.
 

· Off the back...
Joined
·
2,305 Posts
It was -30C on the ride to work on Monday here in Calgary, colder still with the windchill. I am using Dogwood Designs pogies from Fairbanks, AK. At those temps, my hands were quite comfortable. In fact, my wrists were slightly sweaty. My mitts are the old style MEC lobsters. They have holes in them and smell bad, but they really work. The current generation of MEC lobsters are almost as bad as the PI version. If you want a Canadian pogie supplier, there's a woman here that makes them custom. I didn't find out about her until after I had the AK versions, but you see her products on a lot of courier bikes around town.
 

· Off the back...
Joined
·
2,305 Posts
pursuiter said:
I must have an old set of PI lobsters 'cause my hand sweat like a butcher unless the temp is below 20*F (same experience as commuter boy). I bought 'em last year in November @ REI.
I think our varied experiences show that everyone's warmth levels are different. My PI lobsters couldn't keep my hands warm past freezing, much less 20F. They only got me 3 degrees past my regular mtn biking gloves. I've heard from people who have used the MEC lobsters that they were sweating like crazy at -20C, whereas that's the limit of comfort for me unless I'm using the pogies. Diff'rent strokes...
 

· Bedwards Of The West
Joined
·
5,327 Posts
^^ I agree. I sweat like a hog in my lobsters unless it is in the teens, basically. Can't wear them above 20. I have a mid-weight pair of windproof gloves for that range. I have experienced tingly cold fingers in the very low single digits with the lobsters. I'm wanting to add a layer at about 5 degrees F.

What I want to find is a good waterproof pair of mid-weight gloves, since the lobsters are only broken out when it's far enough below freezing to not be wet. I need my 20-40 degree gloves to be waterproof, and all I can find is windproof ones.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
CommuterBoy said:
^^ I agree. I sweat like a hog in my lobsters unless it is in the teens, basically. Can't wear them above 20. I have a mid-weight pair of windproof gloves for that range. I have experienced tingly cold fingers in the very low single digits with the lobsters. I'm wanting to add a layer at about 5 degrees F.

What I want to find is a good waterproof pair of mid-weight gloves, since the lobsters are only broken out when it's far enough below freezing to not be wet. I need my 20-40 degree gloves to be waterproof, and all I can find is windproof ones.
My hands sweat in them above 20 when I am climbing. They are valuable for downhilling in the 20's and low 30's.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top