Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't believe there isn't a separate section for clothing especially with all the reviews in the review section....

What waterproof jacket do you wear?
I normally wear a fleece and get wet - getting abit fed up of this - wind chill factor is affecting me as I get older (hey im not that old, only 27)
I've been looking at a few jackets
to name a few
Altura Night vision
Endura Venturi and
Endura stealth (softshell)
What would you recommend?
I don't want a jersey.... as they do not suit my "physique"

edit : I should point out - waterproof and breathable.... and i'm the UK
 

·
Air Pirate
Joined
·
2,037 Posts
I obtained an Endura "Rebound" jacket from Nashbar on sale. I intended to use it as my "always have" jacket, as it is extremely lightweight and folds up into itself. Perfect to keep in the Camelback. My intent was to use it over my cycling specific fleece jacket as the outer layer in cold or wet conditions. I am a not so small guy myself, so I ordered the largest size offered, the XL. When I received it the fit was rather snug. I do not know about other Endura jackets, but this one was advertised with a "Low drag anatomic fit", which seems to translate to "sized for spindly little Euro-cyclists, not well-fed American dudes". The function of the jacket is great, it is super light but warms me up when I put it on, even over just a jersey. The fit is slowly getting better as my weight is dropping.

Best thing to do if you have issues with fit is to find the product you want locally, so you can try it on for fit, as opposed to buying online with no idea if you are getting what you really want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bokchoicowboy said:
I obtained an Endura "Rebound" jacket from Nashbar on sale. I intended to use it as my "always have" jacket, as it is extremely lightweight and folds up into itself. Perfect to keep in the Camelback. My intent was to use it over my cycling specific fleece jacket as the outer layer in cold or wet conditions. I am a not so small guy myself, so I ordered the largest size offered, the XL. When I received it the fit was rather snug. I do not know about other Endura jackets, but this one was advertised with a "Low drag anatomic fit", which seems to translate to "sized for spindly little Euro-cyclists, not well-fed American dudes". The function of the jacket is great, it is super light but warms me up when I put it on, even over just a jersey. The fit is slowly getting better as my weight is dropping.

Best thing to do if you have issues with fit is to find the product you want locally, so you can try it on for fit, as opposed to buying online with no idea if you are getting what you really want.
I've heard alot about the sizing being a little out
Living NEXT TO europe, in the United Kingdom - nearest cycling shop that sells endura products is about 200 miles away - 400 mile round trip!
I have emailed a few shops to learn that L is a 42-44 chest - which personally i'd say is more a medium

Having a quick search of the internet the "Endura rebound" is sold as a shower proof... it rains alot here... shower proof is next to useless but thanks for the warning about the sizing -
what chest measurement (if u don't mind me asking) are you? / what size is XL in reality?
Many thanks

SkUG
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
waterproof

won't work, you need clothing that breathes. Waterproof would turn your upper body into a self contained sauna. Check out your local REI for soft shell and similar wear, if it's colder layer with a jersey underneath (not cotton!) and assume you will sweat and wind up wet anyhow regardless. The soft shell should break the wind for you, if not, then add a single layer wind jacket like runners use.

Jim
edit-oops. You're in Europe. check out Sugoi, they will ship and have a world class product line: http://sugoi.com/category/86966
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes JimC, I really should have included that in my first post (now edited)

The jackets listed are waterproof and more importantly breathable :)
Do you think soft shell is the way forward? I have a lined soft shell breathable fleece which I use as a everyday jacket but not on my bicycle, this becomes warm very quickly (i'd also worry about cleaning it!)
What is REI? I do not speak in abbreviations sorry

The united Kingdom is not part of europe... we have the British Pound - not the euro - like the rest of europe!
I've not heard of the Sugoi brand, I shall investigate - a quick online search reveals (on the few reviews i read) that performance on average is about 8-9 out of 10

I should point out that i'm not a roadie, more downhill, cross country orientated (lots and lots of hills in Wales - yes there are 3 countries in the united Kingdom - 4 if you count northern Ireland)
 

·
Air Pirate
Joined
·
2,037 Posts
SkUG, may I direct your attention to Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK and their Cycle Jackets page:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...4&CurrentPageIndex=0&SortExpression=PRICE_ASC

Looks like some good prices there. I have heard good things about Chain Reaction from people here in the US who have ordered from them.

One jacket that I have seen others use for mountain biking is the Marmot Precip. Waterproof, breathable, durable. I may purchase one sometime soon. It is not a cycling specific jacket, but it can be used multi-sport. I don't know if anyone in the UK carries it but there are a lot of online stores that will ship to the UK. I remember trying one on in my local REI (Recreational Equipment Incorporated, a co-op outdoor equipment outfitter) and found it was warm and rather roomy for layering and movement.
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
some answers...

SkUG said:
Yes JimC, I really should have included that in my first post (now edited)

The jackets listed are waterproof and more importantly breathable :)
Do you think soft shell is the way forward? I have a lined soft shell breathable fleece which I use as a everyday jacket but not on my bicycle, this becomes warm very quickly (I'd also worry about cleaning it!)
What is REI? I do not speak in abbreviations sorry

>>>Never mind REI, it's American. A light soft shell jacket is best. If you get hot, unzip it. You'll need to wash it lots due to perspiration odours. They last for years.

The united Kingdom is not part of Europe... we have the British Pound - not the euro - like the rest of Europe!
>>>from the colonies you look like Europe to me. Call me an upstart.

I've not heard of the Sugoi brand, I shall investigate - a quick on line search reveals (on the few reviews i read) that performance on average is about 8-9 out of 10

>>> sugoi is an excellent brand. their stuff is tops and lasts forever.

I should point out that I'm not a roadie, more downhill, cross country orientated (lots and lots of hills in Wales - yes there are 3 countries in the united Kingdom - 4 if you count northern Ireland)
>>>figured that. here's a photo of me below in an old Sugoi soft shell on the North shore in Vancouver. It gets drenched from sweat and rain, but keeps you warm in temps down to -5C (20F) If you can't find one, it's a smooth surface on top with a very limited fleece feel inside, but not bulky. Incredibly warm for what it is, as long as you keep moving. As with most outdoor wear, when you stop, you cool down and in 15 minutes or so you get [email protected] cold.

Layer up with synthetics and sweat wicking apparel from a good outdoor store. X-C skiing shops, mountaineering shops, and similar all carry proper clothing for keeping warm and dry. While (whilst) the sweat drenches you and rain too, the layer next to the skin stays dry, so you're warm. Unless it's a deluge or flood, then you're screwed.

Jim
 

Attachments

·
Technology is my friend.
Joined
·
101 Posts
Windtex

Check out clothing made from Windtex. After buying a Parentini Windtex jacket a few years ago, I'm very impressed with the stuff. It does a great job cutting the wind, yet it is breathable and comfortable over a wide range of temperatures. It is supposedly waterproof too, though I elect to wear real rain gear when I'm going out in the soup. (It's done fine in damp conditions, I just have not tested it in hard rain.)

I now have Windtex gloves (Giordana), shoe covers (L Garneau), and long sleeve jersey (another Parentini). So, it is available from a variety of manufacturers. I would definitely recommend a jacket made from Windtex.
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
here's a UK mail order place

with the sort of jacket I would recommend, unfortunately never having seen one I could be wrong, but it appears to be very similar to the ones we've had success with here.

Here's a deal I found, GoreTex may keep you too warm though: https://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/limited-soft-shell-windstopper-hoody-ec017735

Jim
Click Here


Polaris Niteride II - Long Sleeved Cycling Jersey
Item ID: CCUK2638
Price: £44.99
Postage: £2.50 per total order

Updated Design for 2008
Improved Fit
Micro Fibre windproof front lining
Made from Therma-Stretch™ - a super-stretchy brush backed fabric designed for comfort, fit, warmth and breathability
Retro relective flash print details and added piping for night visibility
YKK Full length front zip
Three rear elasticated pockets
New design zip pullers
Colours: Black/Grey, Red/Grey
Sizes: S - XXL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oracle7775 said:
I live in Wisconsin, and am toasty warm and dry wearing one of these over my other layers:

http://www.columbia.com/Product/1/Mens/11010/Shells/8758/Thunderstorm-Jacket.aspx?viewAll=False

Not cycling specific, but it works great, is packable, has lots of room for base layers, and a bunch of pockets for your crap.
I sell the columbia branded stuff at work! the ones i have left in stock retail for £199 (thats about - gee *thinks* $250-$260? they are very short and definitely ride up my back
Again goretex material so good breathablity (again abit over rated in my personal opinion)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cartman said:
Check out clothing made from Windtex. After buying a Parentini Windtex jacket a few years ago, I'm very impressed with the stuff. It does a great job cutting the wind, yet it is breathable and comfortable over a wide range of temperatures. It is supposedly waterproof too, though I elect to wear real rain gear when I'm going out in the soup. (It's done fine in damp conditions, I just have not tested it in hard rain.)

I now have Windtex gloves (Giordana), shoe covers (L Garneau), and long sleeve jersey (another Parentini). So, it is available from a variety of manufacturers. I would definitely recommend a jacket made from Windtex.
I've sold a few Windtex gillets (body warmers) at work, they where sold as water resistant... which normally means shower proof in my experience!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JimC. said:
with the sort of jacket I would recommend, unfortunately never having seen one I could be wrong, but it appears to be very similar to the ones we've had success with here.

Here's a deal I found, GoreTex may keep you too warm though: https://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/limited-soft-shell-windstopper-hoody-ec017735
Wow price looks good! I shall investigate (can't see waterproof anywhere in the description at the moment)

JimC. said:
Jim
Click Here


Polaris Niteride II - Long Sleeved Cycling Jersey
Item ID: CCUK2638
Price: £44.99
Postage: £2.50 per total order
Woah at tiny sizing... i'd be an XL - don't like the idea of a jersey... plus is it waterproof?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
I just piked up a Nike ACG storm fit jacket...Reg $120 on sale for $60 at Dick's Sporting Goods(In store only) I'm 6'1 225lbs and bought an XL...They fit great because they stretch a little plus they are wind & water resistant...Pretty nice...



DICK'S Sporting Goods Exclusive. The Nike® ACG men's Royal Isle softshell jacket is crafted using the wind- and rain-resistant Storm-FIT® performance fabric construction that is still breathable enough to let moisture from the inside of the jacket evaporate to keep your temperature regulated. The ergonomic fit allows for an enhanced freedom of movement. Nike Grind is an innovative material created from recycled athletic shoes.
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
Whoa...

SkUG said:
Wow price looks good! I shall investigate (can't see waterproof anywhere in the description at the moment)

it's not waterproof, it's windproof microfiber.

Woah at tiny sizing... I'd be an XL - don't like the idea of a jersey... plus is it waterproof?
Once you wear an undergarment made of wicking material, you'll never wear anything else. find some ski wear or mtn. climbing wear for a (winter riding only) long sleeved top that wicks, it can be cheap, you just want the sweat wicked away.

this is perhaps overkill, but you get the idea.http://www.cycleclothinguk.com/item...y&Subject=Cycling+Base+Layers&ItemID=CCUK1851

stop thinking you don't want this and that, try what the rest of us wear and swear by before you decide what's right.

good luck, Jim
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
Forget Goretex

it's no good for riding unless you are using it for torrential downpours to stay dry. Any other time you will heat up and overheat, and it becomes a great sauna-causing garment that you won't use. Don't waste your money. Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JimC. said:
and Dick's isn't, fyi. Jim
I'm sure there are a few other people who sell Nike products :p - I shall use the search function of the internet to investigate :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JimC. said:
it's no good for riding unless you are using it for torrential downpours to stay dry. Any other time you will heat up and overheat, and it becomes a great sauna-causing garment that you won't use. Don't waste your money. Jim
when it rains it rains!
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top