Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the frame back in Oct, but finally got all the parts together about 3 weeks ago. This is my first 29er and I am thrilled with the way it rides.

Reba fork, Chris King HS, Ritchey WCS crank, stem and post, Salsa ProMoto bars (620mm), WTB Rocket V saddle, XTR ders, SRAM Rocket shifters, Hayes MAG brakes, Hayes Superlight hubs, Bontrager Mustang Asym rims.

Attachments

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Beautiful Bike,
I have a Waterford Fixy nearly the same color. I was unaware they built Mountain Bikes anymore. How was it constructed; Brazed, Tigged, or a combination with some lugwork? I love their roadbikes, real classics. It’s awesome when you call them up and talk to people whose last name is Schwinn.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Endomaniac said:
Beautiful Bike,
I have a Waterford Fixy nearly the same color. I was unaware they built Mountain Bikes anymore. How was it constructed; Brazed, Tigged, or a combination with some lugwork? I love their roadbikes, real classics. It's awesome when you call them up and talk to people whose last name is Schwinn.
It's TIG'd - getting lugs that work with the geometry is very difficult. They still do MTB's, but you gotta ask for one. The color is Celeste - Bianchi Green - with a blue pearl coat. In the sun it really glows.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
A work of art!

Congrats on the build!
I think I would go completely nuts if I had my frame for that long and couldn't ride it. You have more patience than I could ever hope for. :p

Forgive my ignorance, but is a Waterford MTB the same as a custom Gunnar?
Really love the blue/celeste with white panels. I am sure photos cannot do it justice. :cool:

OGG

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Waterford vs. Gunnar custom

There's only minor differences between the Waterford and a custom Gunnar. Brazed seat color vs clamp and Silver-brazed stay bridges vs TIG'd. The Waterford also allows any PPG color, plus clear-coat (the painted panel is extra), vs the stock Gunnar colors plus C-of-the Month. The cost differance between a Waterford vs a custom Gunnar gets pretty close. Since I already had 3 Gunnar's (#4 is in paint right now), I went for the Waterford.

The bike also has an EEB in case I over want to run it SS. I'll try to get some more pic's up soon.

·
Registered
236 Posts
HHL said:
I'm curious. Why did you go with a Waterford over a Gunnar? Any differences in the material or frame, geometry or otherwise?
Gunners don't have "made by monkeys..." on their frames for nothing. That is one nice paint job Russell, picks don't do it justice. I agree with soupy ditch the stickers!

e

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
more pics would be great!

1BADMAN said:
There's only minor differences between the Waterford and a custom Gunnar. Brazed seat color vs clamp and Silver-brazed stay bridges vs TIG'd. The Waterford also allows any PPG color, plus clear-coat (the painted panel is extra), vs the stock Gunnar colors plus C-of-the Month. The cost differance between a Waterford vs a custom Gunnar gets pretty close. Since I already had 3 Gunnar's (#4 is in paint right now), I went for the Waterford.

The bike also has an EEB in case I over want to run it SS. I'll try to get some more pic's up soon.
Thanks for the great explanation, 1B. Sounds like you are a real collector of Gunnars and now Waterfords!

OGG

·
Wood chips are stupid
779 Posts
sweet

1BADMAN said:
I got the frame back in Oct, but finally got all the parts together about 3 weeks ago. This is my first 29er and I am thrilled with the way it rides.

Reba fork, Chris King HS, Ritchey WCS crank, stem and post, Salsa ProMoto bars (620mm), WTB Rocket V saddle, XTR ders, SRAM Rocket shifters, Hayes MAG brakes, Hayes Superlight hubs, Bontrager Mustang Asym rims.
Hello folks....I am expecting a Gunnar 29er anyday now. Bright metalic orange.Chomping at the bit to say the least! I own a Waterford and a Gunnar. Those guys really know how to build a bike. When it arrives I will post some pics.

akdeluxe

·
Registered
323 Posts
akdeluxe said:
Hello folks....I am expecting a Gunnar 29er anyday now. Bright metalic orange.Chomping at the bit to say the least! I own a Waterford and a Gunnar. Those guys really know how to build a bike. When it arrives I will post some pics.

akdeluxe
Just finished building my Gunnar 29er...sweetness, just waiting for my Ruffian now. In combo with my Crosshair, that makes 3 Gunnar bikes for me. A guy I know has a Waterford 29er...one of the first they made.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.