Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never rode Waterdog or Skeggs so I will be heading over for a Saturday ride. Planning on going to Waterdog first and then Skeggs if there is enough time. Plan on riding from about 9am to 2-3 pm. Any suggestions on trails? Do you really have to watch the speed limit on the trails? I have the info from Passion Bikes about the trails but any other advise/info would be great. I don't live in the area so I want to make the best of the day. Like nice flowy single track, not looking for any long hard climbs. I consider myself an average skilled rider.

Thanks

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,461 Posts
Riding both in one day would be a challenge, I think. Skeggs in particular has this way of tiring one out more than the miles and climbing would make one believe.

I agree with baycat also - Skeggs is more of a destination place, where Waterdog is a great backyard park.

On rangers, not as likely in Skeggs as other MROSD parks. They like to choose spots where riders can get real fast (steep downhill fire roads) where they can tag everyone that goes by (yes, that is as sad as it sounds), where Skeggs is more flowy singletrack which keeps speeds lower. Stick to descending mostly on singletrack in Skeggs and you won't have any trouble.

Web site (http://www.openspace.org/preserves/pr_ecdm.asp) says that everything is open to bikes now, but check the signs at the gate to make sure. The suggested loop on the map on the Passion site avoids most of the regular trails that get closed. But that means you miss the Leaf trails, which are quite fun in a technical way.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
mb2boost said:
...not looking for any long hard climbs.

Thanks
maybe skeggs isn't your place...
;)

have fun, and try to enjoy the climbs. Try to hook up with cm08 group ride.

doing both is possible, but I'd rather spend the whole day at skeggs than try to squeeze in both..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought I would check out Waterdog because one of the guys going with me has not done alot of mountain biking, plus I have never ridden with him so I have no idea of his skill level. If he can hang then we will check out some of Skeggs too.

Thanks for the info

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Waterdog CAN be somewhat technical due to the narrowness of some trails but for most who've had some experience riding it'll be fine. You can do a loop then decide if you want to run it in reverse. Save Skeggs for a full day ride.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
I agree with you Jay. Waterdog is more fun (to me) than Skeggs. More of a technical challenge than Skeggs, IMO.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NoBalance said:
Waterdog CAN be somewhat technical due to the narrowness of some trails but for most who've had some experience riding it'll be fine. You can do a loop then decide if you want to run it in reverse. Save Skeggs for a full day ride.
We may do that, I figure we will go through Waterdog once then decide if we want to go through it again or run over to Skeggs for a few hours. We will be back for more coastal trails in about 5-6 weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.