Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off hello.

I've had my Heckler for about 4 weeks now and already the Truvativ BB has had to be repacked due to there being a lot of water getting in through the seat tube. It has been pretty wet the past four weeks, but not so much that I'd expect there to be no grease left in the BB.

Has anyone else experienced such issues, if so have you found a way to minimise the amount of water that gets in, apart from moving to sunny California.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I live in an extremely wet climate and it just gets in there. I think it may go in through the pivot bearings - I've tried taping up the seat tube area with electrical tape (just to see what would happen) and the BB still filled up with water.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My heckler used to regularly fill up with water during wet rides, sometimes pouring out over a litre of water! I'd pick it up to put it on the car rack and on some occasions the water could be heard sloshing around in the frame.

I went the drill a hole in the BB shell route due to fitting a GD turbo post. The cabling is pretty tight so I couldn't remove the post without cutting the cable ties every time - I may consider lengthening the cable when I need to change it sometime in the future.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
My shimano BB has just started feeling gritty ,after 18 months , packed water resistant grease around the centre tube seals and around the bearings on the inside and on the axle so it squeezes out when all assembled, between the crank arm and the bearing outer, I've just replaced the shimano with a Hope and did the same only this time I popped off the outer shield and packed grease in there also, hoping to get 2 seasons , and the Hope BB you can replace bearings.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Black Dragon said:
There is an interesting thread somewhere in the Santa Cruz forum regarding water welling in the bottom bracket shell. Some of us have drilled a 1/8" weep hole in the bottom bracket shell for the water to escape. Pretty interesting pro/con thread regarding this. I'll add a link if I can find it.
I've done it, never had any troubles, no water in the frame. In my opinion it is just as necessary as facing your bb shell before installing an x-type bb.

·
Underweight Rider
439 Posts
Just sent a mail to [email protected] regarding drilling a hole on the BB...waiting for a reply.

....apparently that email is no longer valid. Sent another mail to their tech.

SC's reply :

I would not drill the frame. The drilling could potentially create a weak spot in the bottom bracket which could lead to other issues. What I would recommend is using a piece of an old inner tube to seal the seat post / seat tube junction. More than likely that is where the water is coming in.

Thank you,

xxxxx xxxx
Santa Cruz Bicycles
104 Bronson St. #22
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
www.santacruzbicycles.com
(877) 459-7560 x 227
(831) 459-7561 (Fax)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.