Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Slave to the grind
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep getting water in my heckler BB.:madmax:

have to invert my bike to drain it out.. forgot to do it the last time and now my bb is seizing.

any of you guys get the problem?

also did anyone ever drill out the BB shell to drain their BB on the fly?

please post instructions if you have em.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
cherrybomber said:

have to invert my bike to drain it out.. forgot to do it the last time and now my bb is seizing.

thanks guys!
Where & why is the water entering ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Water in Heckler

Avoid aiming directly at the seatube/ seatpost area while hosing down your bike.
Also try a generous amount of waterproof grease on the seatpost inside the frame.
Outboard bearings on my Shimano cranks have been great.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
yagimax said:
Avoid aiming directly at the seatube/ seatpost area while hosing down your bike.
Also try a generous amount of waterproof grease on the seatpost inside the frame.
Outboard bearings on my Shimano cranks have been great.
If you hose a bike down you are going to get water where it shoudn't be so expect to do additional maintenance to rid the water. Last winter myy BB would collect water from the seat tube clamp slit - I taped it up after that. Water in the BB may be bad for the threads but a BB is a sealed unit.

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
cherrybomber said:

thanks guys!
been wondering about the same thing...I'm about to move to Hawaii so I'm worried about ambient moisture getting inside the frame and messing things up. My solution to these kinds of problems in the past has always been to grease the crap out of every threading or hole in the frame. It's worked fine so far. Drilling a hole in the frame might be overkill for this problem, plus it will probably void your warranty.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ambient moisture is really a non-issue so don't worry about that...

The only water I've ever had in my frames comes out of a garden hose. My Heckler is (oddly) watertight, the VPF on the other hand fills up with water after every wash. I put a hole in the BB shell, but it gets clogged with grease and won't drain... so I don't recommend doing that.

ps: Jesterman didn't mention that you need to remove the BB BEFORE drilling the hole, or you could f-up the BB and get shavings in the BB shell...

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
MTBKauai said:
Ambient moisture is really a non-issue so don't worry about that...

The only water I've ever had in my frames comes out of a garden hose. My Heckler is (oddly) watertight, the VPF on the other hand fills up with water after every wash. I put a hole in the BB shell, but it gets clogged with grease and won't drain... so I don't recommend doing that.
good to know. When I first got my Heckler I noticed that whenever I raised or lowered the seatpost a little bit of air would escape from the headset. I've never seen another bike do that, but I guess it just means the water bottle mounts, etc, are nice and tight.

oh yeah, T minus 3 days to Kauai, man...see ya there.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Water inside the BB shell is very normal if you regularly was your bike or whenever you ride in wet/rainy condition...

Water can easily get in from your seatpost clamp area or your saddle mount...

So Whenever I ride on wet or hose my bike, I normally removed my BB to let the water come out... :)

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Simple solution that I use is cut a small piece of road inner tube about 4 inches long and stretch it over the seatpost clamp and post to cover any openings.Make sure it is long enough to cover the split in the seat tube. Works like a charm. Cheap simple and it works.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Oh.

fat_weasel said:
No ChuckD here...I was on the HI board a couple months back asking about bike recommendations and such. Whats a mahilini?
That's a Hawaii Noob.

I'll PM you my contact stuff (can't remember if I did that already and I've lost my old messages). ChuckD will be here in mid August. I'll be in BC from August 2nd to the 10th so you won't hear from me then...

Aloha.

·
Slave to the grind
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys!

i should just invert my bike and dry it out more often.

hey bullit_cn! long time no see.

isnt it a b*tch to take out your BB all the time?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
cherrybomber said:
i should just invert my bike and dry it out more often.

hey bullit_cn! long time no see.

isnt it a b*tch to take out your BB all the time?
I used to remove the seatpost and put the bike up-side-down but it doesn't help much.

Since I rarely wash/hose my bike (just wipe it off with a wet rags) then I just take off the BB ( XT Hollowtech II) which is very quick and easy every now and then(say every 3mos).

OT: by the way, I was there last July 1-10th but unfortunately no time to ride...If you don't mind, you can PM me your mobile# so I can hook up with your ride next time...

Cheers:thumbsup:

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
I would suggest you use calking like you would on a window. That is, if you don't put the seat down. There is no harm in this as it will come off as easy as it goes on. Very easy to apply. Watertight! Do drilling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.