Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow, water gets into the frame on my Kona FS.
I am not sure how, maybe down the seat tube.

Is it acceptable to remove the bottom bracket and drill a small hole underneath it, to allow the water to escape?

It is not a lot of water, but l figure that it cannot be the best thing to have sloshing around in the bottom of the frame.

Although being aluminium l guess it won't corrode like steel.

·
Registered
973 Posts
yes the seat tube can certainly be a major contributor...is you seat post clamp compression slot facing forward or backwards? The slot can let water enter off the rear tire...regarding the hole in the BB tube, I'd make sure that it won't cause a frame warranty issue, but yes it is done. If you have an external bearing BB, it most likely will have a tube to connect and seal each bearing and not allow the bearings to become contaminated...in theory anyway

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it does have a plastic tube to protect the bearings, as l already replaced the bb once.

The slot in the seat tube faces to the rear. Is there any way l can seal it? I thought greasing the seat post would stop the water getting in, but it seems not.

·
Registered
973 Posts
the only "fix" I have seen is pretty tacky, but I am told it helps...clear silicone caulk. At face value, it sounds like it could be effective...there also could be water getting in from seat stay and fender mount bosses. These can be effectively plugged with bottle cage mount button-head bolts...if it makes you feel better, this happens to a whole bunch of bikes!

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
You should have some sort of drain hole in the bottom of the BB shell, unless your frame is in the 1% of bikes that don't. It's hard to say where the water is coming in from. Do you leave the bike outside or have you transported it in the rain recently? Do you ride in wet conditions or through many creek crossings? A layer of grease on everything that threads or slides into your frame should help keep water from getting in from regular use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One routine that could severely cut down the cost and wear of bb's, if you do not have a hole in your bb (on many bikes there is a hole, but it's either plugged with dirt or with the screw for a cable-guide) is to simply remove the seatpost, and flipping the bike upside down ta make water come out. This can, depending on your frame be a very effective way of drying out the bb, if you make it a routine, when doing a post-ride clean up, remove your post, place the bike upside down to let it dry. But there is also no problem in drilling a drainage hole in the bb-shell. Just make sure you put some paint on the raw metal once you're done, and be confident that the hole is att the lowest point of the bb shell. Makes me remember when i changed the bb on my winter bike... Norwegian and swedish salty, snowy roads with a plugged drainage hole equals 2-3 dl of rusty water in the bb-shell alone...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts