Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TRAIL CLOSURE: the City will be replacing this bridge on the bottom of the Finch switchbacks next weekend -Memorial Day weekend. This segment of trail will be closed for construction. The new bridge will be like the ones on Lake Loop. Spread the word - thanks.

Branch Plant community Leaf Forest Trail

·
Chump
75 Posts
TRAIL CLOSURE: the City will be replacing this bridge on the bottom of the Finch switchbacks next weekend -Memorial Day weekend. This segment of trail will be closed for construction. The new bridge will be like the ones on Lake Loop. Spread the word - thanks.

View attachment 1251982

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, that one has developed some extra bounce to it over the last year or so, hasn't it?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be modifying my loop accordingly.
Yep! I'm going to have to get even more creative than I planned this weekend.

I try to keep an eye on the safety of the bridges too, and hadn't thought too hard about this one. I'm glad the city, and/or volunteers caught it before someone broke it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The bridges on lake loop aren't super sanitized. I'd say they are actually skinnier than the one in the above pic, but much shorter also.

The real issue might be that the lumber is badly bowing/ rotting away. So they'll need to replace it sooner or later.

The bridge at the bottom of rambler was a legitimate skinny for while. Now it's 4 feet wide. Hope it doesn't get that treatment :nono:

You can always try riding up the truck ladder if you need more excitement :D

·
Registered
795 Posts
The bridges on lake loop aren't super sanitized. I'd say they are actually skinnier than the one in the above pic, but much shorter also.

The real issue might be that the lumber is badly bowing/ rotting away. So they'll need to replace it sooner or later.

The bridge at the bottom of rambler was a legitimate skinny for while. Now it's 4 feet wide. Hope it doesn't get that treatment :nono:

You can always try riding up the truck ladder if you need more excitement :D
Lake Loop bridges are reasonably fun in my opinion since you approach all of them with a descent and exit with an ascent and your speed can determine "techy-ness" Would definitely be sketchier if they were actual skinnies.

·
Registered
676 Posts
How about fixing that section of Canyon Creek where you almost go right into the creek when going around that blind corner at speed? Super dangerous, in my opinion.
Yeah Ive almost gone off that section a few times at speed. That would be bad!
I rode WD yesterday and rode up the switchback and the bridge seemed fine but its good to see work being done up there. Someone has been doing some weed whacking along the trails - THANK YOU!
Conditions were perfect in the trees and dry in the open.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah Ive almost gone off that section a few times at speed. That would be bad!
I rode WD yesterday and rode up the switchback and the bridge seemed fine but its good to see work being done up there. Someone has been doing some weed whacking along the trails - THANK YOU!
Conditions were perfect in the trees and dry in the open.
There's the FB group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2079772678916626/) that did quite a bit of work over the winter, including the new bridge at the bottom of Rambler. I think we can add this to the list of potential future projects. 4 of us weed whacked Lake Loop on Saturday, trying to clear back those goddamned thistles and face-whipping poison oak. That's the biggest challenge right now.

·
Registered
811 Posts
How about fixing that section of Canyon Creek where you almost go right into the creek when going around that blind corner at speed? Super dangerous, in my opinion.
Not saying anything about anyone's skills here, but a lot of the regulars, including myself, really do not like to see trail widening or lines added to accommodate more speed, or lower difficulty. The repercussions for messing this turn up are relatively low, if your speed is under control, compared to a lot of the more exposed trails at WD. I see this spot as a speed brake in an otherwise fast (for WD) downhill, which helps things stay a little friendlier when hikers are invariably coming up it during the busier hours.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not saying anything about anyone's skills here, but a lot of the regulars, including myself, really do not like to see trail widening or lines added to accommodate more speed, or lower difficulty. The repercussions for messing this turn up are relatively low, if your speed is under control, compared to a lot of the more exposed trails at WD. I see this spot as a speed brake in an otherwise fast (for WD) downhill, which helps things stay a little friendlier when hikers are invariably coming up it during the busier hours.
I totally agree. For me, Canyon Creek is a climbing trail. It's just way too straight and requires going mach 10 to be any fun.. which only increases chance of conflict.

Upper Creek trail is much more interesting DH.

·
Registered
795 Posts
There's the FB group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2079772678916626/) that did quite a bit of work over the winter, including the new bridge at the bottom of Rambler. I think we can add this to the list of potential future projects. 4 of us weed whacked Lake Loop on Saturday, trying to clear back those goddamned thistles and face-whipping poison oak. That's the biggest challenge right now.
Thank you to you and your friends for weed whacking Lake Loop. It's been on my mind recently going through that trail that it needs some trimming.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Agree as well!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.