Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I wash my Nomad, I find that a LOT of water collects in the bottom bracket. I usually remove the seatpost and let it dry out upside down, but I see that SC did not drill a hole in the BB shell.

How many of you have drilled this out or found another solution?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I have a 2008 Heckler and there's from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water that I pour out of the seat tube after every ride. It's muddy water - I live in the Pac. NW and there's just mud and water everywhere.

WhereTF is that water coming from?????

·
It's Quick
227 Posts
Water logged!

jminn8086 said:
Every time I wash my Nomad, I find that a LOT of water collects in the bottom bracket. I usually remove the seatpost and let it dry out upside down, but I see that SC did not drill a hole in the BB shell.

How many of you have drilled this out or found another solution?
Actually someone needs to talk to SC about this cause I have an 07 Nomad with the same friggin problem. I didn't realize it until last week when I got an insane creak and started looking for the culprit. Found about the same amount of water in my BB and one of my bearings seems to be shot. Anybody who figures out a solutino, please post!

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Guys...this isn't specific to the Nomad, or SC, or most of the other brands out there. I work at a shop, and you can find water in most BB cavities. If the BB cavity is open to the other frame tubes, water is very likely to collect at the lowest part of the frame...the BB shell. I suspect many bikes allow the most water through their seattubes, but obviously not the only source location depending on frame design...and how one cleans their bike...and if the bike sits outside or sits on a vehicle rack during transit during a rain...and how much submarining a given rider does on their bike. I tend to think most water found in a BB shell doesn't usually come through the BB bearing and spindle interface. It probably comes through those other sources I mentioned. That being said, most BB bearing and crank designs are not waterproof.

For many with particularly wet environments, a BB valve or drain hole is a good idea. Regardless, it's hard to keep all water out of a BB on most bikes without some creative or heavy duty engineering. Basically, bikes and water don't mix no matter how much some like to play in it...or how clean they desire to keep their bikes.

·
It's Quick
227 Posts
Solutions?

TNC said:
Guys...this isn't specific to the Nomad, or SC, or most of the other brands out there. I work at a shop, and you can find water in most BB cavities. If the BB cavity is open to the other frame tubes, water is very likely to collect at the lowest part of the frame...the BB shell. I suspect many bikes allow the most water through their seattubes, but obviously not the only source location depending on frame design...and how one cleans their bike...and if the bike sits outside or sits on a vehicle rack during transit during a rain...and how much submarining a given rider does on their bike. I tend to think most water found in a BB shell doesn't usually come through the BB bearing and spindle interface. It probably comes through those other sources I mentioned. That being said, most BB bearing and crank designs are not waterproof.

For many with particularly wet environments, a BB valve or drain hole is a good idea. Regardless, it's hard to keep all water out of a BB on most bikes without some creative or heavy duty engineering. Basically, bikes and water don't mix no matter how much some like to play in it...or how clean they desire to keep their bikes.
TNC, What should be avoided to help alleviate the problem when you wash your bike. (I am one of those neat freaks) Any special soap that would penetrate lessbut still get the bike clean?

Have you ever done the BB hole thing? I know you have a Nomad, would you do it?

·
Justin Vander Pol
1,732 Posts
Living in Seattle, I've drilled little holes in the bottom of my BB's. On top of that, I try to minimize the washing of my bike and turning the bike upside down overnight whenever I hose it. Washing with a hose shortens the life of you parts - big time. Oh yeah, and never use detergent since it'll dissolve the grease in your bearings when it seeps in.

If possible, I just let the dirt dry and then brush it off later. I'm one of those people who doesn't care what my bike looks like, I just want it to run perfectly. If you're into a nice looking ride, you might be best just hosing it and paying for new bearings more often.

But this winter & spring it's been just stupidly mucky on our trails so I've had to hose the bike off way more than I like. I'm already planning on replacing my BB and re-packing my bearings since all the hosing has surely killed them.

Finally, it's sunny here today! Thank goodness, riding soaking wet was starting to get a wee bit old.

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
jminn8086 said:
One solution is to drill a 1/8 inch hole in the BB but I was curious if anyone has found another solution to this ...
Outboard bearings - don't wash with a hose, use a stiff dish washing brush, get different kinds for all the nooks and crannies. I have a SS for rainy rides.

I've never had that problem personally, water in the BB. It is common though for many it seems. I maintain my bike regularly, BB threads are greased with Phil waterproof.

Maybe I'm not riding in sloppy enough conditions and I use a bucket and brush when I use water 1x a year when I bike gets a bath.

·
MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
283 Posts
Toasted several XTR "sealed" BB's until X-types came out and no more problems. You can then either drill a hole or just take off your seat post and turn the bike upside down for a while if the water bothers you.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
juice said:
Living in Seattle, I've drilled little holes in the bottom of my BB's. On top of that, I try to minimize the washing of my bike and turning the bike upside down overnight whenever I hose it. Washing with a hose shortens the life of you parts - big time. Oh yeah, and never use detergent since it'll dissolve the grease in your bearings when it seeps in.

If possible, I just let the dirt dry and then brush it off later. I'm one of those people who doesn't care what my bike looks like, I just want it to run perfectly. If you're into a nice looking ride, you might be best just hosing it and paying for new bearings more often.

But this winter & spring it's been just stupidly mucky on our trails so I've had to hose the bike off way more than I like. I'm already planning on replacing my BB and re-packing my bearings since all the hosing has surely killed them.

Finally, it's sunny here today! Thank goodness, riding soaking wet was starting to get a wee bit old.
Yeah - I live near Seattle as well. Winter has been exceptionally nasty this year. It's exactly why I bought a single-pivot bike this year - only two pivot bearings. My S-works enduro has four just in the rear shock link plus more in the other pivots. It's going to be a FORTUNE to replace all of those!

BTW - when I built my Heckler I put **liberal** amounts of Phils "water-proof" grease on every single part that slid or screwed together. As a test I pulled the BB and it's all gone after 3 rides.

The best grease EVER for conditions like this is this blue marine grease that motorcycle shops around here sell. You can run a hose directly on a part with it an it won't get nasty or wash off. Just don't get it on your hands or you will be greased till it wears off.

·
It's Quick
227 Posts
I ride in CA basically whnever conditions permit. Some of the ride have a clay type property to it and it sticks to the (annodized) frame like glue. Wish I went powdercoat now. But in any case how often should I inspect my BB. I rode 6 hard months before I did anything and found my none drive BB bearing hard as a rock. No wonder I was so tired...

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Not a good info source.

Ixquiac said:
TNC, What should be avoided to help alleviate the problem when you wash your bike. (I am one of those neat freaks) Any special soap that would penetrate lessbut still get the bike clean?

Have you ever done the BB hole thing? I know you have a Nomad, would you do it?
Because I periodically pull my seatpost and pour several quarts of motor oil down the pipe to keep the water displaced and my BB bearings nicely lubed. Yeah, it's a little messy, but I never have to lube my chain.:D

Seriously though, I'm one of those guys who absolutely avoids washing my bike. My main source of water is when I'm traveling with bike on the T2 bike rack during a good rain storm on the highway. The drain hole in the BB is probably the best solution. It doesn't void the warranty...unless you use a hacksaw.:D

·
Justin Vander Pol
1,732 Posts
Ixquiac said:
But in any case how often should I inspect my BB. I rode 6 hard months before I did anything and found my none drive BB bearing hard as a rock. No wonder I was so tired...
Well, usually I just wait for it to squeal, moan, grind, click or wobble, then I replace it :D Kind of strange that your BB wasn't making aweful noises before it locked up, but hey, they're BB's and they do strange things.

·
Registered
48 Posts
TNC said:
Because I periodically pull my seatpost and pour several quarts of motor oil down the pipe to keep the water displaced and my BB bearings nicely lubed. Yeah, it's a little messy, but I never have to lube my chain.:D

Seriously though, I'm one of those guys who absolutely avoids washing my bike. My main source of water is when I'm traveling with bike on the T2 bike rack during a good rain storm on the highway. The drain hole in the BB is probably the best solution. It doesn't void the warranty...unless you use a hacksaw.:D
Did you mean to say QUARTS?! I'm going to assume you meant squirts right?

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Lol!

Scottie3000 said:
Did you mean to say QUARTS?! I'm going to assume you meant squirts right?
No, I meant "quarts"...but I assume you missed my comment, "seriously though"...and the little smiley face.:D Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.