Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just curious your favorite water bottle holder? I am riding a Fathom 29er 2 and need 1 or 2 holders that will allow me to do some trail riding and not lose bottle. Im not doing any crazy drops, so don't need anything crazy, but also don't want to go the cheap aluminum style.

Let me know the Brand/Model you rock.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey everyone. Just curious your favorite water bottle holder? I am riding a Fathom 29er 2 and need 1 or 2 holders that will allow me to do some trail riding and not lose bottle. Im not doing any crazy drops, so don't need anything crazy, but also don't want to go the cheap aluminum style.

Let me know the Brand/Model you rock.

Thanks
Fidlock

·
One ring to mash them all
2,575 Posts
I just use inexpensive (not "cheap") aluminum holders. I ride a rigid bike and have never lost a bottle despite blasting through some pretty cobbly hard pack and baby heads that once caused my Garmin to eject off the stem mount.

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
1,963 Posts
I have a couple Salsa Nickless Cage holders and really like them. I like holders that can be bent back into shape after I crash.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Depends on the bike. If it is a tight squeeze, say in a FS frame, I like the specialized zee cage ii, because:
  • I can slide the cage up and down before bolting it down, since the bolts go in slots, so I can get a better fit
  • side load means I don't hit my shock with the bottle when I take it out
  • it sits really flat against the frame because the plastic is flat where the bolts go through, and nothing is sticking out much, so I have enough clearance to put a frame pump mount under it and still leave plenty of space for the shock
Side load can be a little annoying though, if you don't need it

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,424 Posts
Depends on the bike. If it is a tight squeeze, say in a FS frame, I like the specialized zee cage ii, because:
  • I can slide the cage up and down before bolting it down, since the bolts go in slots, so I can get a better fit
  • side load means I don't hit my shock with the bottle when I take it out
  • it sits really flat against the frame because the plastic is flat where the bolts go through, and nothing is sticking out much, so I have enough clearance to put a frame pump mount under it and still leave plenty of space for the shock
Side load can be a little annoying though, if you don't need it
I have this one on 4 bikes, with the attached Specialized tool on each. I also attach my pump to it. With a Specialized Bandit on my hard tails and a reverse swat box on my Druid, I can ride packless for anything under 2 hours.

The Zee Cage II with mini tool is awesome. The only thing I don’t like is that sometimes the tool gets mildly jammed in the storage slot.

I’ve never lost a bottle and the side load allows zero clearance above and below it.

Reactions: b rock

·
Registered
308 Posts
Don't laugh, but out of my cornocopia of bottles and holders, the $7 bottle+cage combos from Walmart are doing as well as any. They fit each other and pretty light too. I have cages on the fork of my rigid cargo bike and things really bounce out of them but so far these are doing good. And they are $7.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just use an inexpensive planet bike cage. I bought it after my last cage broke after about 20 years. I was looking at a nicer Salsa cage but couldn't bring myself to spend four times the price on it. I haven't had any issues with the Planet Bike cage despite riding plenty of rocky trails and some drops with fairly flat landings on a hardtail.

Reactions: bigdrowe

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I wanted to get one of their bottles that you can mount anywhere so i could put one on my top tube for long rides but $60 was too much for me.
Yeah they are cool but that now scares me away. I bought a strap on one so I would have an extra bottle in the summer. On my test ride I lost the bottle. I don't know if I didn't get it seated but away it went. I rode the trail out and back again and didn't find it. damn bottle was $30 to replace. I did but no more. My wife's ebike is a small and doesnt have a bottle cage mount so I use it on hers and it's a road bike so not as much jostling.

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
1,963 Posts
If you guys are looking for a cage to mount in odd spots that you won't have to worry about losing a bottle with, check out the Lezyne Power Cage. I've got a couple of these and ran them in every position possible and never even jarred a bottle loose. They're not great for racing type applications because you have to really pull to get your bottle out, but for running on the bottom of a downtube or something they are amazing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts