Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a cheapt bottle that does NOT have a spout to store extra water under my downtube. just a cap that seals up on a ~20 oz bottle. I don' want anything that has a spout because dog poo. I took a cage into the grocery store the other day and was surprised to learn that none of the "sports drink" bottles fit in a cage. I was going to buy one of those and just reuse the bottle with a velcro strap.

i'm not racing so I do not mind stopping to retrieve it. I hate the feeling of backpacks but I use one when the weather finally cools off. it is over 100 degrees every day in Texas so even a one-hour ride requires 2-3 bottles. I sweat buckets. I have a few alternatives in mind so please do not bother with all those. I just need to know what kind of bottle fits in a cage but does not have a spout that is going to get clogged with dog poo. yes, dog poo everwhere.

This sounds like a Picard thread.

·
Cycologist
10,329 Posts
Someone pointed me toward the Camelbak PODIUM® DIRT SERIES 21 OZ BIKE BOTTLE when I asked a similar question, $13. It does have a spout but it also has a cover that covers the spout. I don't have much trouble with dog poo but even on the road bikes (big mud puddles on MUPs), and especially the CX, my bottles get so filthy that I don't want to drink out of them. And I've been thinking about adding a bottle to my mtbs for some electrolyte drink on these really hot rides.

Not sure how well that will work if you really just want to refill another bottle, though. Maybe just retire an old bottle; you could remove the nozzle and seal it up or just always remove the cap and don't mess with the nozzle.

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Camelbak PODIUM® DIRT SERIES 21 OZ BIKE BOTTLE ... I don't have much trouble with dog poo but even on the road bikes (big mud puddles on MUPs)
I have that and the Nalgene atb bottle on my radar. I'll get one if needed, but I was hoping there's something like a Gatorade bottle that will fit, considering how likely it is to get lost of bashed on a rock.

Those puddles are probably 47% horse piss. Think about that.

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because I don't want dog **** all over something that I will eventually put near my mouth. Maybe I am a germaphobe, but 100%, not using a bottle with a spot for that. If I relegate one specific bottle for under-bike duty, I will forget which one it is.

·
Registered
17,503 Posts
Because I don't want dog **** all over something that I will eventually put near my mouth. Maybe I am a germaphobe, but 100%, not using a bottle with a spot for that.
You could use an old one and mark the top cap with xxx or something to remind you it's the downtube dog$hit bottle. Not trying to push that idea but just saying it's something you probably already have and it's made to fit the cage. Anyway that's what I'd do if I lived in a dog$hit infested area.

Also, bunnyhop that $hit! :p

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Someone feel free to steal my idea:

"Hey eletrolite sports drink company! Start packaging your product in bottles that fit a bicycle bottle cage!" The instant revenue from triathletes would cover the cost of retooling in a single day.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Why not use a standard bike water bottle and just leave the spout closed and unscrew the cap when using it?
This.

You're inventing a solution to a non problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, he's not. If there is horse crap, mud, and/or water it will make its way into the threads of a standard cycling water bottle.

OP, I have used a normal CamelBak bottle in my downtube, but I made a "sleeve" with suguru, which is moldable rubber. I molded it around the bottle and the cap for about an inch lower than the threads and it keeps it from getting fouled when unscrewing. It works great, but sorry I don't have a picture.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,503 Posts
Someone feel free to steal my idea:

"Hey eletrolite sports drink company! Start packaging your product in bottles that fit a bicycle bottle cage!" The instant revenue from triathletes would cover the cost of retooling in a single day.
Too many plastic trash islands in the ocean already.

Have you seen dog ****?
I have 2 dogs but I've never seen dog$hit anywhere, ever. Weird.

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Too many plastic trash islands in the ocean already.

That's why I buy plastic containers and reuse many times. If they were more reuseable, maybe others would do the same.

I have 2 dogs but I've never seen dog$hit anywhere, ever. Weird.
They're eating it. great at recycling, those dogs! Do you let them lick your face?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any interest in putting one behind the seat? I'm putting one of these on my Christmas wish list.

https://www.xlab-usa.com/mini-wing-105.html

I've used a under the downtube holder years ago and hated it. Used some of the cheap-o behind the seat holders and liked them. The big downside was they would work loose so they had to be checked before each ride.

Since I don't drop my seat real far contacting the tire shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any interest in putting one behind the seat? I'm putting one of these on my Christmas wish list.
I'd be interested to know of those cause a weird bouncing sensation, get ejected on bumps, or interfere with dropper post operation. Going forward, I would assume that most mountain bikers are using droppers. Behind the seat looks like a good position for road bikes though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Never noticed any bouncing unless the clamps worked loose which is why I'd check them each ride. Again that was with real cheap ones that were poorly designed.

Getting ejected on bumps can be a problem but X-labs makes some with a stronger grip for mountain biking.

I was wondering about how it would work with a dropper as well. According to my measurements on my bike it shouldn't be a problem even with my seat all the way down.

FWIW, I ride a medium Foes Trail Mixer so I have a 27.5X2.6 in the back. I suppose it could be a problem on different frames.

The reason I was looking at X-Labs is because they seem to be a little better designed.

One of the drawbacks to the Trail Mixer is that it does not have any water bottle mounts in the frame. Some times I need more water then the 100 oz I can carry in my pack. When I was ordering it and talking to Bobby from Foes about it, he told me that he would use a Revelate mountain feed bag. Showed me a picture of him using it during a race. Maybe another option, although I'm going to try a behind the seat one.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/cockpit/MountainFeedbag

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah, that Relevate product is cool. not sure it's worth $50 for my needs though. that would be useful if my goal was to have easy access to the bottle during a race or something. I just want to carry an extra water bottle on my bike and use the extra braze-ons under my bike for something. seems like a wasted opportunity, but most things that can fit down there are susceptible to getting poop splattered on them.

I might just use the cage to carry a re-purposed plastic jar with tools ans spares in it. I can probably use a peanut butter jar, and if I don't clean the jar too carefully, I'll have some extra peanut butter residue to snack on in an emergency.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,874 Posts
no one is going to solve this for you

rejected ideas

-don't ride in dog poop

-cover the top of [any] bottle

-behind the seat, but you said:
'Going forward, I would assume that most mountain bikers are using droppers.' but nothing about if you use a dropper or not...
anyhow rear seat bottle mounts won't interfere with dropper and you won't know the bottles are there until you reach for them, but might make bottles hit rear tire when dropped

until you find that magic fairy that invents your bottle I think not riding on dog crap is the way to go here

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.