Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone recommend one?

Lezyne had one that looked good, but reviews on Amazon say the lid does not tighten and comes off.

Looking for something low profile, that attaches to the cage mounts to hold some things.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ Specialized makes (made?) what looks like a short water bottle with a screw lid that fits in a cage. Inside it has a neoprene roll to hold items to prevent rattle. There another small screw topped compartment inside the lid. I have one lying around somewhere I got a swag at a Spec event. Never used it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’ve used a Kraft shaker cheese container which screws on top, is clear, and fits cage nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4,287 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't think the OP is asking about using a water bottle for a storage container but rather a cage with a tool box attached.
You mean like the Topeak Ninja multitool cages, or the Specialized Zee cage or EMT, Synchros Matchbox, Lezyne Flow, Tallac Designs Tool Pouch, etc?

No, by the description of screwing the lid on, I think the OP is asking about the numerous tool keg style containers that mimic the shape of a water bottle to fit in the cage.

Me, I decided to forgo the water bottle cage and am using a WolfTooth B-RAD Roll-Top Bag with the optional mounting plate. It fits the cage bolts under my downtube.

I chose it because, though it's not strictly waterproof, it was probably good enough. Because it's soft sided, it's not going to rattle, and at 1 liter capacity, it could hold more. Fitting a 29" tube in the tool kegs doesn't leave much room for anything else. I guess that's how not to have rattles too. And ithe WolfTooth is wide enough I can squeeze my hand in and reach all the way to the bottom. I'm not going to be able to do that with anything rigid that's the diameter of a water bottle.:

In addition to the tube, I've got a <goes out to garage and checks> CO2 inflator and two spare cartridges, multitool, chain tool, chain link pliers, quick patch, and tire levers. And there's still more room. Actually, it's a gravelish tube, say 700x32c, but a 29x2.3 would fit instead.

I did need to space the mount farther away from my downtube for a couple of reasons. First, the underside of the mount has ribs that would have dug into my frame, and second, I wanted it farther from mywith exposed shifter cables. I think WolfTooth has B-RAD fittings that would work, but I made my own spacers since I was too cheap to buy some and too impatient to wait for shipping.

There are other similar pouches that also don't really need the bottle bosses and can strap directly to a frame tube, but I chose the WolfTooth because it did have a mounting plate, so I could be sure it wouldn't slip towards my chainrings and the strap wouldn't dig dirt into the paint.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You mean like the Topeak Ninja multitool cages, or the Specialized Zee cage or EMT, Synchros Matchbox, Lezyne Flow, Tallac Designs Tool Pouch, etc?

No, by the description of screwing the lid on, I think the OP is asking about the numerous tool keg style containers that mimic the shape of a water bottle to fit in the cage.

Me, I decided to forgo the water bottle cage and am using a WolfTooth B-RAD Roll-Top Bag with the optional mounting plate. It fits the cage bolts under my downtube.

I chose it because, though it's not strictly waterproof, it was probably good enough. Because it's soft sided, it's not going to rattle, and at 1 liter capacity, it could hold more. Fitting a 29" tube in the tool kegs doesn't leave much room for anything else. I guess that's how not to have rattles too. And ithe WolfTooth is wide enough I can squeeze my hand in and reach all the way to the bottom. I'm not going to be able to do that with anything rigid that's the diameter of a water bottle.:

In addition to the tube, I've got a <goes out to garage and checks> CO2 inflator and two spare cartridges, multitool, chain tool, chain link pliers, quick patch, and tire levers. And there's still more room. Actually, it's a gravelish tube, say 700x32c, but a 29x2.3 would fit instead.

I did need to space the mount farther away from my downtube for a couple of reasons. First, the underside of the mount has ribs that would have dug into my frame, and second, I wanted it farther from mywith exposed shifter cables. I think WolfTooth has B-RAD fittings that would work, but I made my own spacers since I was too cheap to buy some and too impatient to wait for shipping.

There are other similar pouches that also don't really need the bottle bosses and can strap directly to a frame tube, but I chose the WolfTooth because it did have a mounting plate, so I could be sure it wouldn't slip towards my chainrings and the strap wouldn't dig dirt into the paint.
That looks nice! Going to look into the mini version.
Thanks for that!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
For tool storage on the bike in a water bottle cage, I use a...........water bottle.
Seriously, I can fit 2 large CO2's + the inflator head, a 27.5 tube, a tire lever, and a mini-tool w/chain breaker, and a small bundle of bandaids and duct tape. Now that I think about it, I don't even need the tire lever, there's one built into the mini-tool. I could even get my weed in there, if need be. The tube doesn't need to be in there rolled up all pretty, just stuff it in there like a sleeping bag in a stuff sack - no rattling.

Like bar ends, it impossible to not look dorkish with a bottle that's not a bottle on your bike. Everyone's going to think you're hiding a battery in there too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.