Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Who's riding today?
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, 6/21/09, 7 riders celebrated the 1st day of summer on a fun little jaunt from Cuyamaca Rancho Park to the Laguna Mtns and back. Was a sweet day, 27+ miles and 4500+ feet of gain, all at "altitude" for us lowland creatures. It was a BLAST.....:thumbsup:

So, I gathered up a couple of the guys that did it with me last week and a few more that missed the ride for a 2nd run at the same route....... 6/28/09 was MUCH hotter day:eek:

7 of us started, 6 finished. With all the classic signs of heat exhaustion, We played it safe and ditched one rider to sit in the shade, cool off, DRINK water laced with EmergenC powder. He agreed he felt fine enough for us to leave (and later admitted that within a half hour he wanted to JUMP BACK ON THE BIKE!!). Good thing he didn't! We continued our little journey, and by the time we got to the place in the photo below, if it wasn't 98 degrees, then it must have been 100! Wonderful to report our pooped out rider was more embarrassed than anything else.:D

Play it safe! Take lots of water and drink it all. BUT, sometimes that alone will not help. Extreme heat + exercise = electrolytes lost NEED TO BE REPLACED. There are many brands, just get some and USE IT.

...... O.K.: back to your regularly scheduled lurking.......;)

Attachments

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
Sorni, Porter, and I did East Mesa to Champagne to Noble to Pioneer Mail to East mesa one day. well over 100! Boy was that dumb!

·
Registered
729 Posts
120.7 surface temp and 101 air temp on top of the mountains above Santa Barbara on 6/28. Funny thing was we could see the fog at the beaches less than 10 miles away.

·
Go Lakers!
233 Posts
Perhaps you could have all used this to keep you cool

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts