Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this is meant to be a warning only for everyone here who rides in briones, not a discourse on the politics involved or whether i'm an idiot or not.....

that being said, and while it was bound to happen to me at some point, i'm still pretty ticked off about it. i was doing my normal loop late this afternoon in briones (about 6pm) up out of the alhambra staging area. i go up orchard to the pine tree trail to old briones road. pine tree trail is the narrow steep uphill trail that that park district staff wanted to make legal for bikes in the uphill direction--and which was rejected by the board along the normal 5-4 anti bike lines.

so there i was, huffing and puffing at about 3mph up the trail with not a hiker or equestrian (or other biker) anywhere near me, but there was a park police officer standing at the fence. i was pulled over and given a ticket, whatever that means. the officer told me that there have been increased complaints from equestrians about bikes in the park which has 'forced' the officers to increase their patrols.

the absurd thing is that, on this trail at three mph, i pose zero risk to anyone going in either direction. not only that, but my 'legal' option is to ride up old briones road which is a one lane paved road with two way traffic and very sharp, blind curves. literally i got a ticket for taking the safer route....but i did know that the board rejected the staff's request to make the trail bike legal uphill, which seemed amazingly logical to me.

so i'm going to see how bad the ticket is, and i may go to court if i can get a date when i can make it. as i said, it was probably bound to happen to me at some point, but now that it has i am going to stop supporting anything having to do with the ebrpd, including the donations i have given them each and every year since i've been using the parks. i'm pretty moderate on the trail issues generally but this hit home for me.

so be careful on the singletrack in briones as it sounds like there's an increased likelihood of getting busted. the one thing i did enjoy however was seeing on my ticket under the vehicle section, 'specialized' and under the model, 'sworks'..other than that, nothing funny about it.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Equestrian/Cyclist ride Saturday at Briones

Ride starts at 10 with free BBQ. I will cook. Maybe we should take them on the Pine Tree Trail and then when they go there tell them we aren't allowed to ride there.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
We were at Birones last night in the Bear Creak parking lot when a officer from E.B.R.PD. rolls up and telkls us that there has been complanits about mountain bikers speeding and riding single track.Last week there was a rumor that there was a officer waiting at the bottom of the Alhambra single track. Watch out there.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's a likely spot for them to hang out as it's a great singletrack trail that i can imagine could cause a problem between horse and bike. in my case i got the ticket even though it was impossible for me to be bothering anyone...cost of riding in briones i guess.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'll keep riding in the park, but want to see how bad the fine is before venturing again. the officer really had zero idea about the park, the trails or anything else. he was just sitting there at the easiest spot to find someone. imo if they really wanted to make a safety difference they need to get inside the park and ticket people on the trails where bikes can really cause a problem..some of the singletrack in the woods. fining someone for riding up pine tree, while perfectly within their purview, is pathetic. but yes, it's my donation to the ebrpd for several years.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Maybe it's time for bikers to go on the offensive instead of always being on the defense. Start taking pics of horse crap, hikers going off trail, trail damage from hoof, trash... and start complaining about it. If you come across an a-hole hiker/equestrian, report it and let them know it ruined your experience in their park. We should start asking for bike only trails too. I know it will go no where though...

Maybe our sport needs a bunch grumpy old retired people with nothing better to do than complain about stuff......

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
dan51 said:
Maybe our sport needs a bunch grumpy old retired people with nothing better to do than complain about stuff......
That's coming. It's a young sport still. Just sucks it takes so long.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the only 'incident' i've ever seen in briones is an injury to a mtn biker from a horse that got loose on a trail and knocked a couple of bikers over...i don't think they filed a formal complaint even though i was begging them to.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,330 Posts
cohenfive said:
the only 'incident' i've ever seen in briones is an injury to a mtn biker from a horse that got loose on a trail and knocked a couple of bikers over...i don't think they filed a formal complaint even though i was begging them to.
So you poach a crappy trail, and come complain on the board!!! :madman: Don't you know that poaching a trail is a crime (like stealing and killing)? If you don't like the law, you should work to have it changed! Blah blah blah [end of sarcasm]

Sorry you got caught. Living in the EBRPD is pretty much hopeless...

·
Registered
633 Posts
HBR.com

cohenfive said:
i'll keep riding in the park, but want to see how bad the fine is before venturing again. the officer really had zero idea about the park, the trails or anything else. he was just sitting there at the easiest spot to find someone. imo if they really wanted to make a safety difference they need to get inside the park and ticket people on the trails where bikes can really cause a problem..some of the singletrack in the woods. fining someone for riding up pine tree, while perfectly within their purview, is pathetic. but yes, it's my donation to the ebrpd for several years.
" on the trails where bikes can really cause a problem." - seems to me this comment would be more appropriate in Hiking Boot Review than in here.

·
Pale-ale-ontologist
130 Posts
Donation? WTF!! They get more than their share of $ from bond measures, taxes etc. I was riding through Bear Creek parking lot this week an anEBRPD truck was idling in the lot, windows up and an employee snoozing away inside. Where can I land a job like that?
cohenfive said:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got a ticket up there 2 weeks ago. We were coming out of the creek trail and he was waiting at the bottom. I haven't recieved a notice about the cost of the ticket yet but I'm hoping it's $50 or less.

Does anyone know what this is going to cost me?

·
Paper or plastic?
10,330 Posts
JMann said:
I got a ticket up there 2 weeks ago. We were coming out of the creek trail and he was waiting at the bottom. I haven't recieved a notice about the cost of the ticket yet but I'm hoping it's $50 or less.

Does anyone know what this is going to cost me?
Got no idea, but in lake Chabot, there is a single track with a sign that says "$250 fine if riding it".

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
zorg said:
Got no idea, but in lake Chabot, there is a single track with a sign that says "$250 fine if riding it".
I think that's about the standard fee, but if you show up in court and explain that you were riding on a seldom used trail to avoid traffic on a hazardous road, I have to think that the fine would be significantly reduced. If I got caught on a fun single track and got a ticket, I would count that as the price of admission. But getting a ticket where cohenfive did is just irritating.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Well there are other parks that aren't frequented often by rangers and the like... And many trails within those parks that are relatively secret to the point where rangers wouldn't even know they existed. But I'm not telling where.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jmann, there's no way it's only a $50 ticket...i'm hoping it's only $200 or so....and the creek trail is unfortunately an easy spot for them to sit and wait...what a great trail, or so i've heard.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts