Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had a less than enjoyable ride today thanks to a downed tree which was hanging across the trail.

The tree in question is the one closest to where I took the picture. I was coming from the opposite direction and had just cleared that first log pile. I looked down to the seccond pile and just as I started to lift up the front end over the seccond pile I had a close encouted with the said tree. The collision had a sort of sickening crack to it and I just about had my helmet (which fits quite well) knocked off my head. Here are the results...

So, my beloved Giro Havoc is done. (cracks colored red for clarity)

As far as me, I was dizzy for a few minutes and had a nice headache for about 30 min. My hurts quite a bit now too. I'm really glad I was wearing a helmet, I can say this is the first time I've ever truely needed one, and it makes wearing one for all these years worth it.

I think I'm going to try to pick up an 05 Giro Xen as a replacement.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
That sucks, you must have nailed your head on that limb or had a helmet that has gone through some abuse.

I seem to have a problem with those low lying branch types. I've hit my head hard enough to black out the vision and send me into the bushes, but never cracked my helmet.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That happened to me brother a while back.

I was riding behind him, saw him duck down and smack his head. After we determined he was ok he asked how it looked from behind and the funny thing was he wasn't even close to clearing the tree.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ouch. You should write the helmet company and say thanks for making a product that works. What's the worse that could happen? A coupon? A gracious letter back?

Looks like a fun trail though!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've konked a tree more than once out where I ride. Thankfully I've rarely been going fast enough by them to cause much damage. They will sure make you learn to ride low on your bike though.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
The exact same thing happened on our group ride last night. Rider was distracted by a bit of debris caught in his shoe, reached down to brush at it, and hit an overhanging tree just as he straightened up. He's ok, thank goodness, but he broke his helmet in exactly the same place.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drewdane said:
The exact same thing happened on our group ride last night. Rider was distracted by a bit of debris caught in his shoe, reached down to brush at it, and hit an overhanging tree just as he straightened up. He's ok, thank goodness, but he broke his helmet in exactly the same place.
Yeah, I'd hate to know how bad off I would have been if I had no been wearing a helmet. Probbably woudl have spent some quality time lying on the trail unconcious. I was nto going particularly fast at the time, maybe 10MPH, but the fact I stood up/pulled up into it as I was clearing that log pile probably doubled the impact velocity.

Mynamesrob said:
Ouch. You should write the helmet company and say thanks for making a product that works. What's the worse that could happen? A coupon? A gracious letter back?

Looks like a fun trail though!
Done, good idea. The trail is okay, it has its ups and its downs (both literaly and figuratively). Hopefully once I get my liscense I'll be doing some group rides abit further from home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.