Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm I've been brainstorming.... that usually means a torture fest is soon to follow.

The Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure is a one-day event, 6-12 hours, 50-70 miles. What if we started a new race that's a two day ordeal? Maybe start at noon, require veryone to be back at the start/finish/camping area by midnight, restart at 6a.m. cutoff at 6p.m.... The most checkpoints wins... or the first team back with all the checkpoints wins...

Would anyone be interested?

Eric

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
How bout....

Pre race meeting Friday night at Davidson area, set up camp.
Sat am everybody leaves their camp set up and drives to Bent Creek for start.
Course is anything goes (legally) with a few checkpoints everybody hits on the way there.
(if you actually make them hit the checkpoints in order volunteers would know when they could leave?)
End up at camp
Sunday AM the race heads back to Bent Creek, all new checkpoints, (offer to haul one bag of gear per racer back to finish).

Keep the checkpoints secret till each day starts.

Alot more logistics than the race you have now. Where does everybody camp/park? I don't know.

Hey Eric,
If Josh and I drive up Friday night is there a place around the start to crash in the vehicle? If we go to the big open field where the start is would that be a problem? What about after the race? Say I drank a little too much free beer. Would sleeping in a vehicle be looked down upon Sat night?
I got a vehicle I can sleep in, not the Sammy if you are having a hard time picturing Josh and I snuggling in a mini-Jeep.

·
H8 H8 H8
864 Posts
Or maybe...

Could you get one of the group camps reserved a-la Swank 65? Cove Creek would be
perfect.....

I like the idea of the out and back, but the logistics would be a drag, and trying to get
camping areas for everybody would be a drag, and campground hosts are DEFINITELY
a drag.

Hmmmm.... maybe you can throw in a rally stage where we have to drive from Bent Creek
to Davidson via the FS roads. Competitive XC endurance shuttling..... I like it.

ZB

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
My thinking

With the format Eric mentioned (having the racers get back by midnight) there seems to be room for bad things. What happens if you don't make it back, or make it back late, you still need camping for all the people.
When I look at what is being accomplished to pull of the TransIowa I think participants could be capable of the vehicle/camping logistics. It would be a few truckloads of gear, but there would be hours to shuttle them all to the vehicles. I think the fee would have to go up with all the logistical difficulties.
The out and back just sounds better in my mind.
It would be easier to drink Saturday this way :)

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Constructive (I hope) criticism

pisgahproductions said:
Hmmm I've been brainstorming....

Would anyone be interested?
Sometimes it seems as if down here in the southeast there's an underground endurance race thingie going on whereby if you don't already know the trails then you're not really welcome. The way your events are organized is like that, and (for example) the Firewater 50 is too. I can ride Pisgah, but I don't know the trails so the kind of event you're talking about really has no draw for me. I can spend the day lost pretty easily all by myself. ;)

If on the other hand there were an event with a decent map and/or cue sheet, and maybe some support, I'd be all over it. Doesn't sound like your cup of tea, but I thought I'd put it out there. I do wish someone would step up though because I'm tired of the driving all over the place to get to a decent ride when Pisgah and N. GA are so close. And the thought of going around and around in circles for 12 or 24 hours just depresses me.

And now I think I'll have some cheese to go with that whine. :)

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wooglin,
I understand the frustration that goes along with the fact that the locals have an advantage in my races. I want to clarify though that everyone that feels they can survive 50-70 miles of Pisgah is welcome. My goal is only to provide a common experience to bring people together in a beautiful place and to make people realize that they are capable of incredible things, when challenged.
I've modeled my race after the multi-sport adventure races that my girlfriend participates in. Just as the locals had the advantage in the Primal Quest in WA, the locals had the advantage in the Beast of the East in TN. Pisgah happens to be the place I know best and feel comfortable sending people off into.
Now, as you said, anyone can come and get lost in Pisgah and probably even have a great time doing it. That's one reason why I keep the entry fee so low. $25 per head. If you give me $25 I'll organize the game and the afterparty. I'll get the insurance, the permits, the kegs, and the porta-johns. You can come and visit the national forest anytime you like. My race is about the shared experience, not who comes in first or last (but the prizes are much better for first than last!).
Eric

oh, there is a map available. National Geographic map #280 Pisgah Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest. It has every trail, in great detail, that will be used in the Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure and the .... Double Dare.

wooglin said:
Sometimes it seems as if down here in the southeast there's an underground endurance race thingie going on whereby if you don't already know the trails then you're not really welcome. The way your events are organized is like that, and (for example) the Firewater 50 is too. I can ride Pisgah, but I don't know the trails so the kind of event you're talking about really has no draw for me. I can spend the day lost pretty easily all by myself. ;)

If on the other hand there were an event with a decent map and/or cue sheet, and maybe some support, I'd be all over it. Doesn't sound like your cup of tea, but I thought I'd put it out there. I do wish someone would step up though because I'm tired of the driving all over the place to get to a decent ride when Pisgah and N. GA are so close. And the thought of going around and around in circles for 12 or 24 hours just depresses me.

And now I think I'll have some cheese to go with that whine. :)

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Thanks for that reply Eric. Guess I'll just get up there and start learning my way around. Just ordered the map, and I'm surfing Jeremy's site now. Could be a fun weekend.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
The Double Dare

Great name, Eric.

Rich, what happens if you don't get back by midnight? I would think you're out. That's part of the logistical planning. I could see getting back at 11 just to be sure you're not missing the cut off.

Eric, I think this is a fantastic idea for an event. It will give you the chance to send us places like Courthouse Falls or frickin 5 points. Talk about a challenge...

Also, Rich suggessted anything goes for legal routes. Please keep the highways and all but isolated streches of the Parkway off limits still...but I agree in this format, all FS roads could be open instead of some becoming off limits.

Wogglin, there's always an advantage to locals in every event. They know the trail, where to put the hammer down, where they can recover, etc. It's not just his superhuman powers that enable Jeremiah to win Shenandoah year after year- it's also the fact he's from the area. The only added dimension here is the locals to sometimes know the trails better- but I've made the "wrong" route choice every time in the first 3 Death Marches.

All that said, I'm going to get out of the kitchen before too many chefs spoil the stew, or some mixed up analogy like that.

Peace, Mike

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
Wooglin, I am aware of at least two groups (myself including in one) trying to put together an epic race/event in N GA. I'm shooting for more of an off-road century type feel that will attract both the hardcore racers and those just out for a challenge. Not an easy task.....stay tuned.

Eddie O

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Eddie O said:
Wooglin, I am aware of at least two groups (myself including in one) trying to put together an epic race/event in N GA. I'm shooting for more of an off-road century type feel that will attract both the hardcore racers and those just out for a challenge. Not an easy task.....stay tuned.

Eddie O
I know that. I'm watching the SORBA board for that as well, and looking forward to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.