Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So twice in the last week I've stopped for water at different water fountain spots in the East Bay where the drinking fountain has been turned off due to Covid, but where there is a working water faucet for filling bottles.

At the first spot, I filled my bottle at the tap and was surprised to notice a yellow jacket swimming in the bottle. Next time I stopped, I was more cautious and gave the faucet a few gentle kicks before filling - and watched the wasps fly away.

It seems that the wasps are crawling up inside the water taps to get at the moisture inside the plumbing. I'm not sure if this happens seasonally and I don't notice because I usually fill from the fountain, or if the wasps usually drink from the fountain but are now forced to the taps.

Either way - a little extra caution is advised.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Up until I wrecked my hip, I rode Mammoth each year in the first week of September. I would camp in a few places north of Mammoth off of 395. We would fill the water tank in the camper at the rest area just north of Mammoth and could depend on each outdoor faucet being swarmed by hundreds of yellow jackets. We'd fill out containers and shlep them to the camper anyway but with some trepidation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.