Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
I was, yeah, but a different model. This is pretty dang nice though! A buddy of mine (hey Tasshi) passed this up @ VeloSwap a couple years ago. It'll be interesting to see what this goes for, compared to what he was asking there.

And, to ease your minds, this one's all yours fellas, I already got my Whiskey. They are indeed bonerriffic. Good luck!

I may know a guy with a 150-ish NOS Goat Quill stem too...

enjoy!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
flyingsuperpetis said:
I was, yeah, but a different model. This is pretty dang nice though! A buddy of mine (hey Tasshi) passed this up @ VeloSwap a couple years ago. It'll be interesting to see what this goes for, compared to what he was asking there.

And, to ease your minds, this one's all yours fellas, I already got my Whiskey. They are indeed bonerriffic. Good luck!

I may know a guy with a 150-ish NOS Goat Quill stem too...

enjoy!
What was the guy looking to get for it?

I'll make a cheap play at it...

If I win...can I have my stem back FSP? :p

·
If you have to ask...
717 Posts
Reminds me of my old Whiskey Lite

The paint job on my bike used the same jagged edges, but it was green on the bottom and dark blue on top- with burgundy Mako and Hammerhead sharks swimming through the sea grass.

I cried when I put my first gouge in the paint.

I cried even more when the frame broke at the bottom of the seat collar slot.

miles

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Shaun K said:
I know that bike, it used to be mine! Not my auction though. I bought that bike a couple of years ago from Margo Conover (owner/builder of Luna Cycles) and it was her personal bike and she was fanatic about taking care of it which is why it's in such good condition. At the same time I bought a MG Deluxe in my size which I always wanted and I've since restored.

Anyway, I was going to convert the WTR to a SS but couldn't bear to scrap the paint so it hung in the shop. When I found a first year Stumpy, I decided to bail on the WTR and passed it off to Brett who wanted to build it out. Funny, but that Amp F4 fork stuff he's selling looks familiar too since one still has an "Anvil" sticker still on it.... :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
So you got the Deluxe. I've been emailing a few people trying to find out what happened to it! This WT & her Deluxe as well were both at VeloSwap the year I couldn't be there, and a friend of mine was trying to decide between them or a bontrager. The bonty came with its comp fork, so...

Ah well, a boy can dream, eh?
Pics of your orange & purple zebra striped wonder would be ultra-keeeen. Where is that mt goat pics thread...

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
flyingsuperpetis said:
So you got the Deluxe. I've been emailing a few people trying to find out what happened to it! This WT & her Deluxe as well were both at VeloSwap the year I couldn't be there, and a friend of mine was trying to decide between them or a bontrager. The bonty came with its comp fork, so...

Ah well, a boy can dream, eh?
Pics of your orange & purple zebra striped wonder would be ultra-keeeen. Where is that mt goat pics thread...
I bought a Deluxe (frame & fork and other bits) but it wasn't from Margo and it wasn't zebra striped; it was orange though and I had it repainted in the original scheme of orange & copper. Pics of it are on the Spectrum website somewhere....dunno if I have any decent pics of it....I'll have to take some.

Someone else mentioned the top tube length of the WTR and I think they're right. The top tube is longer than listed, I'm pretty sure the seller measured it along its length and not its "theoretical" length, i.e., parallel to the ground.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
DWF said:
I bought a Deluxe (frame & fork and other bits) but it wasn't from Margo and it wasn't zebra striped; it was orange though and I had it repainted in the original scheme of orange & copper. Pics of it are on the Spectrum website somewhere....dunno if I have any decent pics of it....I'll have to take some.

Someone else mentioned the top tube length of the WTR and I think they're right. The top tube is longer than listed, I'm pretty sure the seller measured it along its length and not its "theoretical" length, i.e., parallel to the ground.
Any idea what the "theoretical" length might be? Any chance it's 23" or longer? no.... proabably not.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
laffeaux said:
Any idea what the "theoretical" length might be? Any chance it's 23" or longer? no.... proabably not.
23" is probably pushing it for a 17" bike from its era. I'd guess 22 and some change, probably 22.5" or a touch more. Your probably already know this, but bikes built back when it was new had slacker seattube angles (meaning longer cockpit length) and were designed to run a longer stem than is popular today. A 130 or so would be about right. For reference, I normally run a 23.5/23.75" TT on new frames and that bike was long enough for me with the Ibis 130 quill stem was I was planning on using for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts