Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done riding and my bike is all muddy. I washed it off at a self service car wash and now it's in the garage. Is it necessary to dry your bike after it's been soaked to keep things from rusting? Unf' unf'!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Well you don't have to dry the painted surfaces, but things like the drivetrain should be dried and lubed. There are other things you should be looking at that'll need maintenance.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
washing a bike at the car wash is probably one of the worst things to do to a bike. The pressurized water will force grit and water to get into places like bearings, hubs, bottombracket etc. I just use a warm bucket of water and a soft brush and dry it afterwards

·
bikes are people too
373 Posts
Definitely be careful washing your bike.. when I got my first mountain bike, before I knew what I was doing, I had two or three bottom brackets seize up because they had too much water in them from when I washed the bike. You might think you're doing yourself a favor but more often than not.. you aren't. If you do wash it, make sure you towel dry cables, BB shells, hangers, basically any metal parts and re-lube where you can.

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
Not The Car Wash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

High pressure car wash!?!??!?!? YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :madman:

Many years ago I worked in a bike shop. We could ALWAYS spot the bikes that were cleaned that way, when they came in SQUEAKY clean into our shop. Nice thing was we didn't have to get messy removing any grease when we repacked all the bearings and lubed it all up again, and usually had to replace all the bearings.

Best thing is to only wipe down the bike. If its really muddy, I will cheat and use a low pressure hose and be VERY careful to not spray anywhere near the bearings. Then wipe it dry.

I have been using Eagle 1 "Wax as you dry" spray "wax" on my cars for a few years which resulted in me trying it on my bikes. You can spray it on a rag and wipe down the bike while its wet. Besides shining up the painted bits, it generally makes the bike easier to clean on future wipedowns and its easy to apply. Its even working on my Magnesium rocker and anodized finish.

There are long threads on lubes, with MANY preferences and opinions. I tend to use a good quality teflon based lube for pivot points (brake and derailleur) and Pedros heavy duty chain lube for my chain. (at the moment anyway)

I bike in the wet and muddy Northwest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.