Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running 2.1 aspens on 27i wheels and even at 30 psi rear i can roll it over in the corners like its under inflated. It feels solid and harsh as it is so other than going to 35 psi im thinking its a lost cause.

I have some 2.2 120tpi xr1 tires i can run at 27 rear but they seem to have a stiff sidewall? Im probably going back to these for the time being.

Ive also tried 2.2 xr2 120 tpi at the same 27 psi and they roll over. I thought the narrower 2.1s would be stiffer on the wide rim but the aspens seem worse than the xr2s.

Thinking i got to stick to 60 tpi tires for rear or some kind of stiff sidewall protection? Ive never snake bit the tires but sliding around in corners is sketchy.

Im 6’2” 240 lbs on a XL top fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm 6'4"/220 riding 27.5's (WTB i29 rims) with 2.5 width DHF Minions (XL Kona Process 153). I've found that 20-22psi is perfect for me. If I get below 20psi I can feel things get squishy in corners. Not a lot of flowy high speed downhills around here (New England)...mostly rocky/technical single track so I may not be railing them as hard in corners as you. I've tried lighter 120tpi tires which are nice for climbing but sidewalls take a beating and are the first thing to go so I prefer beefier tires.

Folding over tires regularly sounds scary! I would think the lesser of two evils would be to go with a more robust sidewall. Added benefit is you can lower pressure to smooth out the ride a bit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You definitely need a stiffer sidewall. You'll need the EXO casing. I'm 6'4" and 195 and can feel my Rekon Race 120tpi with an EXO sidewall, squirm sometimes. Being in AZ I need EXO so I don't cut a sidewall on every ride. I don't think it's necessarily just the TPI for you. If you want very little squirm, I would do an EXO sidewall with 60tpi.

·
turtles make me hot
11,672 Posts
I used to get this all the time until I started using nothing narrower than 35mm.

The last regular 29er I rode had 35mm rims and 2.35" tires at about 24 psi. No problems.

Currently, I have a fat bike with 80mm rims and 4.8" tires that I run the rear at about 9 psi and my plus bike, 40mm rims with 3" tires, about 18-19 psi.

I'm 6'5" and 260, btw.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
235 here...

I've run 2.35 on 23id rims out back w/o issue.

EXO, SS, APEX, etc are your friends here.

Get some wider/better tyres.

'Born to ride!'

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I'm 155 pounds and the Aspens look too delicate even for me!
I just think you need a more robust tire. I can see your rationale, but I don't think any combo of TPI or sidewall defense will make the Aspen workable. XR2's, Rocket Ron's, etc. at your weight probably just won't do it.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,819 Posts
The Aspen is literally a "lightweight XC race tire". It's ultra light weight and NOT meant for guys who are 240lbs, especially as a rear!

You need a more robust tire casing. The TPI is not the problem.

Text White Line Font Brand

I've had good luck with my Maxxis Forekaster EXO tires. I'm 6'3" 215 with gear.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am 6’1” 225 (without gear)

For XC riding my current rear tires is a 2.35 Ikon on a 25mm ID rim. I find the 2.35 has burlier knobs than the 2.2, and the extra volume helps a lot with heavier guys like us. I also use the EXO casing. I would not personally go less than this tire for a heavy guy. I’m actually debating trying the Ardent Race 2.35 EXO next.

·
Registered
2020 Trek Fuel EX8
251 Posts
I'm currently running the Maxxis Aggressor 29x2.3" in the rear, I opted for the DD casing, the sidewall is plenty stiff, it handles my size just fine (I'm 260 ish), I run 30psi in the rear.

They roll well, grip well & wear well, I've got it on my new 35mm rim, but it was just as good on my old 29mm rim. (I run a Minion DHF 29x2.5WT up front)

They are just a little heavier than some others, but the pros far outweigh the cons IMHO.

This is the one I run: https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pr...mpound-tubeless-ready-double-down-2-ply-black

·
Registered
53 Posts
6'0"/245 here. Same issue with Continental Cross Kings. Rollover in turns and on hard off-camber g-outs. Actually "broke" 2 tires before I decided to switch. Sad to say it's actually a relief when you figure out you broke a tire instead of majorly bending a wheel. I ended up moving to a stiffer sidewall tire, Maxxis Aggressor, and so far so good.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Why are you running Aspens as a rider that big? Those strike me as super light duty like 150lb rider type tires. At least run an Ardent Race. Probably half of what I ride would be considered "XC" where most of the riders are on hardtails and 100mm bikes and I use a DHF up front and DHR2 in the back, both Exo. No washing out on i30 rims.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
You need to either go to a stiffer casing (more tread rubber certainly won't help with the folding issue btw) or use a lightweight insert like Rimpact or Cushcore XC. Something like an Bontrager SE3 or Maxxis Rekon would probably work and not be slow rolling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.