Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
CEO Product Failure
2,079 Posts
LOL Harold.

Yes, coin-op washer or we try to stay somewhere with a washer (AirBNB, hotel, etc.). If no washer, wear your ride clothes into the shower and shower twice-once fully clothed and once normal. To dry your ride clothes, use a dry towel, lay clothes on top of fully open towel, roll up towel (like a cinnamon roll), then ring towel in both directions, and hang clothes to dry. Credit on this hack goes to MF from an old BIKE article circa 2002.

·
well mannered lout
3,263 Posts
Good to see Harold in a kind and generous mood today.

Yes, Picard, wash your clothes in a clothes washing machine.

I'm pretty sure this MGTOW thing isn't going to end well for you.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I've taken a couple trips with a guy whose a huge cycletourist. He'll wear the same outfit for a week. He's pretty rank near the end, but if i tease him he gets insulted.

I bring fresh socks and undies for every day. Shorts get rinsed off every other day, tshirts daily. A laundromat resets the wardrobe. I bought 2 weeks worth of riding gear a long time ago, and its been a good investment.

·
No known cure
5,629 Posts
There is no where to wash clothes in Reykjavik* so I paid the neighbor lady next door to the place I was staying with beer to wash my clothes. That was easier than doing laundry in the sink with shampoo and drying it on the radiator like the Euro tourists, and it led to several dates.

*The Laundromat Cafe, which was the only game in town is no longer open.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Wash clothes on a bike trip? Like on vacation? I do not wash clothes when I'm on vacation! I'll either have extra clothes or stink. Doesn't matter to me, 'cause I'm on vacation! On occasion, I may buy something new to wear along the way.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My only experience has been on the Tour Divide.

Keep in mind, the loadout is very minimal. I don't wear padded bibs, only Lycra shorts (3 pairs) and base layers (2 pairs top and bottom - one for riding and one for sleeping).

I have rinsed out clothes in streams and hung them on branches a few times. I've even hit the laundromat in Eureka for a quick wash when the mud and dust got too much.

·
4,287 Posts
1. Rinse dirt & sweat out of individual items before washing together (otherwise you make a salt/silt soup).
2. A few drops of Dr. Bronner's soap* with water in a ziploc; add a few items; shake & squeeze. Repeat as needed.
3. Wring soapy water out of items.
4. Repeat #2 & 3 w/out soap to rinse.
5. Wring out & hang to dry.

Dump waste water away from natural water sources.

* For true back- & bike-packing weight weenies, Dr. Bronner's soap can double as "toothpaste." :p

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.