Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was riding home from my gym last night around 8pm riding along the market street sidewalk. ( I know ride in the street - but there were very few peds and cars scare me)

I think I look hot with scars

So I'm riding along and from about 5 feet away this dude (Black about 5'10" tall shaved head or bald wearing a black SF 49'rs jacket and white hoodie tucked under it mid 20's) lunges at me saying "I don't need this **** comin' at me" (I wasn't anywhere close to him) and pushes me and the bike to the ground and then keeps on walking like he's going to grandma's house. My face hit the pavement, not too bad and my ankle and neck are all twisted. I started to yell bad things at him and go after him but two witnesses verbally talked me out of it saying it was a bad idea. (which I'm sure it was) After a few more insults hurled back and forth he just keeps walking. So I call 911 and give the dispatch his description. After about 5 minutes one of those suburban cop trucks rolls up with four officers inside. They said they had the description from the dispatcher and had actually been looking up and down Market street for the guy. Never saw him. They asked if I need to go to he ER which I refused. They took my info and asked if I would sign a complaint if they found him. I said I would. Apparently pushing a biker to the ground is only a misdiemeaner in SF. So have at it folks. It's like getting a few too many parking tickets.

My face is scratched a little, my ankle has been on ice all day and my pride is in the dumper. WTF is wrong with people these days.

Going for a great ride on Sat while this crack head sleeps off his crack. I hope he dies alone on the floor of a dirty ER somewhere. :thumbsup:

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
6th and Market?

Good to hear you are ok. I would not ride on market either. To much chaos, sidewalk is way big.

You actually got cops to respond! Given their track record recently in the City.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
baycat said:
6th and Market?

Good to hear you are ok. I would not ride on market either. To much chaos, sidewalk is way big.

You actually got cops to respond! Given their track record recently in the City.
The actually call that went out was 'biker down with spilled doughnuts"

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
Thats the one intersection on Market that you have to really watch your back. Good thing you didn't go after him. They usually carry something to hurt you with. I work at 5th and Mission, I've seen plenty of fighting going on in this part of the 'hood.

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
General Hickey said:
If that happened to me I'd be reaching for the lock in my back pocket.
*riding on the sidewalk- ticketable infraction (BFD, show me a cop that would ticket you in that situation and i'll show you a real dick)
*knocking someone off their bike- Battery, a felony
*bashing someone's brain's in with a bike lock- murder, a capital offense.

As much as this whole thing ge's my blood pumping and i might have been inclined to do the same thing I think you made the right choice to listen to the witnesses. The only thing that would have been better to do would be to catch up with the guy and take his picture but even that is open for debate and would require not only a camera(or cameraphone) but would require the presence of mind and courage to risk another encounter. not to mention risking it while already injured.
I'm glad you're not seriously hurt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. You have much more self-control then me and I applaud you for that.

Personally, I would've gone the bike lock (heavy, sharp, etc) route. I consider any attack towards me as a threat to my life and I will react accordingly. I hope that piece of sh** gets what he deserves.

·
another bozo on the bus
1,244 Posts
I had a similar thing happen about 15 years ago while working as messenger in DC. A guy aggressively pushed me off my bike while I was track standing waiting for the light to change. I stood there for a moment before running up behind the guy and blind siding him in the ear, breaking my hand. He went down but still got the better of me in the end. Vengeance is not always sweet. Sorry to hear about your encounter.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I hate to say this, but this has never occurred to me riding on the streets.

6th and Market has a lot of pedestrians, particularly the crazy kind.

On the streets, even the nut bags know to keep moving or a truck will run you over.

Just get used to riding on the street, and you will probably be safer.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GoGoGordo said:
Ride on the streets in the bike lane and that probably won't happen to you.:)

Yea good call - it was pretty much all my fault some nut job assaulted me. Thanks for the great advice.

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
Since when is riding in the bike lane automatically make it safe? Plus the punishment for riding on the sidewalk is NOT having some brute knock you to the ground. That's just an idiotic analogy. Unless the next time somebody changes lanes without using their signal (you know we've all done it) they should expect to have the guy in the next car ram them off the road.

·
YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
2,960 Posts
UUHHH sorry ya faks

Probably doesn't mean automatically.
I ride my bike by/at that corner Everyday for, oh i don't know let's say almost everyday for 20 years, and haven't had that happen to me (Doesn't mean anything).
All i was sayin was you PROBABLY would have a better chance of that not happinin if you rode the bike lane,(unless you couldn't).:) then your only probs are the lights, and the gas guzzlers.
To the rest of you, let me use the right words, arrogant self-righteous prickX...fark off:p
Sighned
The Idiot
G-out

Attachments

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
jhruth said:
Yea good call - it was pretty much all my fault some nut job assaulted me. Thanks for the great advice.
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

I find the internet to be a miserable place to look for sympathy.

I can give you plenty of advice about why to avoid sidewalks and how it is safer to ride on the road, but take this:

Are you in control that nut job that shoved you? Or are in control of your bike, yourself, and your fears?

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
took the words out of my mouth

GoGoGordo said:
Probably doesn't mean automatically.
I ride my bike by/at that corner Everyday for, oh i don't know let's say almost everyday for 20 years, and haven't had that happen to me (Doesn't mean anything).
All i was sayin was you PROBABLY would have a better chance of that not happinin if you rode the bike lane,(unless you couldn't).:) then your only probs are the lights, and the gas guzzlers.
To the rest of you, let me use the right words, arrogant self-righteous prickX...fark off:p
Sighned
The Idiot
G-out
Below is GoGoGordo's profile picture.
Assuming that is you jumping, when the 'sighn' clearly says no jumping, i think that 'sighning' your posts 'The Idiot' is more than appropriate

I hereby move that GoGogordo, from now on, be known to all as 'Sighned, the Idiot'.
Anyone opposed?

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
EBrider said:
Are you sure it wasn't someone from the Women's forum?
?????

To the OP - that really sucks, sorry to hear it but glad you aren't more hurt.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts