Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was test riding a bike i was working on through my neighborhood when a lab type dog (it had a much larger head than any lab i've seen before) came out of the woods growling and bit me on my butt. 1 tooth got through my jeans...so i'm not hurt. he backed off as i yelled at him and started to dismount to put the bike between us.

no collar on the dog and it is apparently aggressive. animal control will not respond unless the dog is restrained or confined in some way (i guess so it'll actually be there when they come to get it). i don't think i want to wrestle this dog....he apparently doesn't like me.

i'm afraid he may attack a child or something. i'm going to go back out in my truck to locate him....maybe he's 'living' in the woods or someone's yard or something. assuming this was someone's pet at one point.....i'd like to know why this dog is out and is so aggressive. maybe i'll find the owner's too. i'll have some words for them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
jgsatl said:
animal control will not respond unless the dog is restrained or confined in some way (i guess so it'll actually be there when they come to get it). i don't think i want to wrestle this dog....he apparently doesn't like me.
What? They won't come get it unless it's restrained? That makes no sense. Call the cops then, maybe they can just shoot it. If the bite broke the skin, you need the dog for testing. Rabies is some serious shiznit, although tetanus is more likely.

Wrestling dogs one at a time isn't that big a deal, wear lots of padding and protect your neck. One trick is to jam your arm as far back into thier throat as you can get it. This prevents them from closing their mouth. Packs of dogs are far more dangerous.

The safest way to retrieve the dog is with a long stick and a noose.

Az

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
no luck re-finding the dog. i heard a big commotion of other dogs down the street (they were in their backyard) but didn't find him.

i have a bruise pattern and some welting, but no broken skin, thankfully.

i'm just glad he got me and not some small child whose instincts would probably be to scream and run and possibly cause the dog to continue it's attack.

thanks for the tips...i think i may look into some sort of dog mace or something. my wife walks our border collie mix through the neighborhood all the time. i want them to be able to protect themselves.....this dog wouldn't have much trouble with a 40 lb. border....

·
Registered
50 Posts
i had a similar deal happen a few months back while walking.

when I got home I called our sheriff and was told to catch him and they'd come by.

WTF??? I was already bite once!!!

other than that, nothing they ccould do.

I replied with fair enough, what should I do with the corps after my next walk?

(silent pause)... then 'what do you mean sir?'

I told them I wasn't going to let someone's stray and aggresive animal dictate where I can walk in town and that I was going to shoot it next time.

they advised me that I would be in a lot of trouble for having a conceal weapon.

i told them that I had a holester in plain sight and wouldn't hide it from the dog.

they were at my house in about 15 minutes

;-)

they started knocking on doors in that area and found the owner. of course, 2 weeks later he was out again.

we've moved now, and at the risk of being flamed by the 'huggers', i can promise you that dog would be finished one way or the other if I was still there and having to deal with it walking through town. just not sure if I would be blatant or underhanded, but it WOULD be done

and yes, I myself am a huge animal lover, but I also know that its a problem that needs to be dealt with in no uncertain terms

M

·
Three sheets to the wind
736 Posts
I would feed him to my dog....lol, just kidding. We have an animal control officer, and if there is a problem animal they will stay on it.
Once I worked on a matter where the ACO could not keep up, and the dogs (there were 2) were a threat to other animals, I wound up arresting the owners which initiated a court matter. One of the dogs had to be put down, which upset me, but this dog was a killer. But that took care of the problem.
As far as being on the bike, a dog hasn't caught up to me yet....

·
Registered
28 Posts
1-Inform Law Enforcement. Maybe they can find an owner, or capture the dog
2-Even though it's one tooth you are subject to rabies now. Seek med advice.
3-If it's like were I live LE is going to do nothing. If the dog continues to be a problem. I'd kill him in a minute. Rather any of you like it or not I don't care.

·
Registered
339 Posts
go to the hospital!!! now!!! if an bacteria gets into a cavity in your leg or knee your fcuked over. My friend doesnt hav a hand for that reason. Rabies shot too!!! im and emt and i kno wat im talking abt

·
Registered
339 Posts
if they prescribe cephlexin (which they will) try your best not to taste it b4 u swallow it

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
fookin dogs. Things to do:

- got to clinic or ER and get it cared for properly. Also get documentation of the visit.
- file a police report. Seriously, call either 911 or the non-emergency number and get it documented.
- find out who owns the dog.
- if you're not interested in filing a suit to teach the owners a lesson at least get the police to issue a citation for dog off the leash. Owners of dogs are ALWAYS legally responsible for the actions of their dogs whether on or off the leash. If you felt like litigating you could do so.
- as for Rabies, getting the local pubilc health department involved is easy once you get the animal. Here in Wisconsin, Animal Contol will either quarantine the beast or remove the head. If they remove the head for rabies testing they send it to the State Lab of Hygiene http://www.slh.wisc.edu/services/rabies.php to my former coworkers.

So do what you want but don't sit there and let it get worse.

·
Registered
312 Posts
And just remember, if you're on the ground being while the dog is chewing on your arm, push your finger in his eye and try to lift his head via the eye socket. I haven't tried it yet but in theory it would work really well.

-Rob

·
Registered
156 Posts
It was probably abandoned by the owner after being abused. I volunteer at a shelter, and people abuse their dog and when it gets too much for them, they just let it go in the woods. When we get them some of them can be taught to be semi nice again (which we adopt out to families with no small kids, but in a lot of cases they are too far gone, which is sad. If it didn't break the skin, I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
663 Posts
RSP_RIDER said:
And if your dog got out and was being playful and bit someone, and they fatally wounded your dog, you wouldn't mind? Please.
my dog or not, a dog that is a biter is a dead dog. I love dogs, but a biting dog is very dangerous, no matter its size.

A few years ago my neighbors had 3 dogs that got out of their kennel and attacked my Springer Spaniel. My dog just wanted to get away and did not fight back at all. I killed the smallest of their dogs (a beagle) with a bat, and got a pretty good swing in on one of the others (both springer spaniels). All told, we ended up in court and the neighbors had to pay for all of my dogs medical bills, and put the other 2 dogs down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
RSP_RIDER said:
And if your dog got out and was being playful and bit someone, and they fatally wounded your dog, you wouldn't mind? Please.
i don't think anyone is talking about playing with the neighbors dog, if so, I missed that part. the one that bit me wasn't playing.

really, its the owners that need to be kicked in the sack... repeatedly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.