Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal, I ordered a custom frame from a highly regarded builder on here that you can get in about 20 colors. On the order form there is only 3 options black, white, raw and thereafter you can discuss custom colors by email.
Afterwards I communicated I wanted one of the custom colors. He received the email with the color and stated he would call to discuss.
Never received the call and the frame was delayed for some time. OUt of nowhere I receive an email stating the frame shipped. Thinking I am getting the custom color I open the box to see i received black.
Go back and forth with the option to send it back he wanted me to drop ship to another customer here in the states and i refuse. Covering my butt in case I need to deal with the credit card company to get my money back.

He pretty much tells me to go eff myself and I have to return the frame on my dime.

So what would you do? Keep it? Return it on your dime? Re decal it to say Piece of **** and ride it?

Give me some advice.

· Registered
1,071 Posts
No way should you be stuck with the wrong color, return shipping charges or the responsibility of shipping to another client (what if it gets damaged in transit? would you have to file the claim and worse be responsible for the cost of the frame?)

Here's something. If you paid by credit card, you can dispute the charges and have them hold or with draw payment if he is being unreasonable.

· Old man on a bike
12,390 Posts
So, "highly regarded builder on here" is a regular forum member?

I'd like more information on a few things, as your description and timeline are vague.

Did you originally specify black on the order form then expect to be able to change it or did you leave all three choices blank?

If you did leave them blank or even filled one out, how did this supplemental communication hook up with the order? Is this a mail/email/internet order form? When you communicated later, what exactly did the response to your specific custom color choice say (i.e. did he confirm your color choice) and when was it sent? How long between the last communication from the builder and the shipping notification email? What was your custom color choice anyways?

Feel sorry you didn't get what you wanted but sounds like there's room for fault on your part the way you describe events so far....why would you not agree on a color before you paid for the frame? Sounds weird but if you post a link to the order form or post up a copy maybe it might make more sense.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
So, "highly regarded builder on here" is a regular forum member? I think so. Not positive.

I'd like more information on a few things, as your description and timeline are vague.

Did you originally specify black on the order form then expect to be able to change it or did you leave all three choices blank? I dont think there was an option to leave it blank, too far back to remember. The new way to order on the site gives an option of custom.

If you did leave them blank or even filled one out, how did this supplemental communication hook up with the order? The builder emailed us the options we can change like color, decals and such. Is this a mail/email/internet order form? Yes this was a internet order form and we first communicated about the order through email When you communicated later, what exactly did the response to your specific custom color choice say (i.e. did he confirm your color choice) and when was it sent? He said he would call me to confirm. as far as when it was sent the time was over the quoted time for the frame. How long between the last communication from the builder and the shipping notification email? I am guessing a couple of weeks. I have it all in email but i'm not going through that right now. He said we were getting pictures and that never happened. Then I received the shipping notification.What was your custom color choice anyways? Dark blue

Feel sorry you didn't get what you wanted but sounds like there's room for fault on your part the way you describe events so far Explain how I am at fault. I left the guy alone and didn't want to bother him thinking he had everything under control. He does run a business so with that I would think he would double check.....why would you not agree on a color before you paid for the frame? Only a deposit was taken then i was chraged the full amount when the frame shipped. Sounds weird but if you post a link to the order form or post up a copy maybe it might make more sense.
Your questions sound all too familiar. Especially were you say i am partly responsible. You sound just like him.

Anyway I wont post a order form cause I wont bad talk anyone. Ever.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Ok I should have just posted this before. I think you have 3 options.
1. Get your CC company to stop payment and force him to take the frame back and walk away.
2. Put it on ebay and get as much of your money back as passable.
3. Keep it send it to some one and get it panted or powder coated in the color you want and don't have any decals so you don't advertise for the company.

What ever you do I would never ever ever deal with any one that tells me off. I have spent YEARS working in retail and you NEVER NEVER NEVER do that ever. I there is NEVER any excuse not to resolve the situation. And allot of my time in retail was spent in bike shops I know the industry and the damage a bad reputation can do. I did a pro deal with Castelli years a go. They took me money and then told me they didn't have what I ordered in stock. After waiting months I started calling them. I think after calling them once a weak for a month the rep told me to Eff off. I eventually got my order but i will never ever for any reason ever buy any thing from them ever.

· Single Speed Junkie
3,101 Posts
Call the guy back asking for their FedEX / UPS shipper # and they can ship it where ever. Expectation is for them to refund 100% of your funds for being non-responsive in finalizing the order and prematurely shipping. Continuation of poor customer service there is always the BBB and credit card company that will handle these issues.

As a consumer I believe that the supplier of any good should make appropriate steps towards customer service. The supplier should expect the consumer to be realistic as well. For example I bought a new frame earlier this year. The frame arrived damaged to the point of the rear suspension swing arm bolts not lining up with the main frame and the rear triangle crushed to the point where the axle was off by 14mm. Owner of the small frame shop recommended that I purchase a new rear link and triangle. UPS box was not crushed or damaged in any way. Even with photos I provided highlighting damage the expectation was still that I spend more of my hard earned cash for faulty product. Called VISA & the BBB filing complaints. The frame sat in the shop until the frame supplier figured that I was not pay for additional parts or shipping.

Give the guy one final chance then start protecting your rights as a consumer.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
crux said:
Call the guy back asking for their FedEX / UPS shipper # and they can ship it where ever. Expectation is for them to refund 100% of your funds for being non-responsive in finalizing the order and prematurely shipping. Continuation of poor customer service there is always the BBB and credit card company that will handle these issues.

As a consumer I believe that the supplier of any good should make appropriate steps towards customer service. The supplier should expect the consumer to be realistic as well. For example I bought a new frame earlier this year. The frame arrived damaged to the point of the rear suspension swing arm bolts not lining up with the main frame and the rear triangle crushed to the point where the axle was off by 14mm. Owner of the small frame shop recommended that I purchase a new rear link and triangle. UPS box was not crushed or damaged in any way. Even with photos I provided highlighting damage the expectation was still that I spend more of my hard earned cash for faulty product. Called VISA & the BBB filing complaints. The frame sat in the shop until the frame supplier figured that I was not pay for additional parts or shipping.

Give the guy one final chance then start protecting your rights as a consumer.
I don't know if I totally agree with you. After being on both ends of the phone in situations like this. I feel that once the Eff you comes out of the mouth of the Retailer then its time for you to stuff the product back on them and make them eat the cost of doing business.

· Old man on a bike
12,390 Posts
Dropout33 said:
Your questions sound all too familiar. Especially were you say i am partly responsible. You sound just like him.

Anyway I wont post a order form cause I wont bad talk anyone. Ever.
Could be your communication skills, as I did not say you were partly responsible. It's still not a clear story, although a little clearer now. Without more specifics hard to say you've done all that you should/could. If you want internet validation of just your side, you've already got other responses but so far I can't tell who did what during the order process let alone what you're actually doing about rectifying it. Good luck.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
His answer to me about not getting the color I wanted was to send me some new decals after riding it for a year or so and repowdering it. Obviously I would have to get it repowdered at my cost.
I received some local quotes on repowdering the frame and he said he could not cover the cost and to just return the frame. So I get nothing? I obviously ordered the frame and I wanted the frame. So return it and get nothing??? He should have offered to send me another frame in the color I wanted. That is a reasonable solution. That wasn't offered.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Could be your communication skills, as I did not say you were partly responsible. It's still not a clear story, although a little clearer now. Without more specifics hard to say you've done all that you should/could. If you want internet validation of just your side, you've already got other responses but so far I can't tell who did what during the order process let alone what you're actually doing about rectifying it. Good luck.
Im sorry you said "room for fault on my end"

I will admit I am not good at talking over the computer.

Communication was poor on his end. He should have called the 10 or 15 of us when the order was gonna be delayed and went over the details. Never happened. Just emails and unresponded to emails.

What do you recommend I do Bikinfoolferlife?

· Old man on a bike
12,390 Posts
Dropout33 said:
Im sorry you said "room for fault on my end"

I will admit I am not good at talking over the computer.

Communication was poor on his end. He should have called the 10 or 15 of us when the order was gonna be delayed and went over the details. Never happened. Just emails and unresponded to emails.

What do you recommend I do Bikinfoolferlife?
Who are the 10 or 15 of us now? I still can't decide who did what without seeing all the facts, so hard to say what best options might be. For instance on rereading your message I assume the builder is overseas and that shipping costs are significant? You didn't even save a copy of your order? What were the terms of sale? Was there an invoice involved? What documents do you have to even show your credit card company what happened?

If you're positive that the builder did you wrong I think you should just lay out all the facts exactly here for all to see/judge (order, communications, everything), especially if you want opinions on what your best options are. If you are indeed in the right you might even name names and get some community action going (or is that already in process with these 10 or 15 others?).

Personally I wouldn't have got myself into this situation let alone come on the internet complaining about it without specifics and naming names. When you're right, you're right so name names and include copies of the correspondence/forms, etc to prove it.

If it's a good reputable/desireable frame you shouldn't have much trouble recouping most of your costs by selling it in the worst case, at least would save absorbing any return costs if that's how you need to back out of the situation.

Do you dislike the black finish that much?

· Single Speed Junkie
3,101 Posts
pulser said:
I don't know if I totally agree with you. After being on both ends of the phone in situations like this. I feel that once the Eff you comes out of the mouth of the Retailer then its time for you to stuff the product back on them and make them eat the cost of doing business.
True. However you at least need to have one final conversation before taking further actions. I forgot to mention that the third method is in contacting the attorney general in their state filing a complaint. When you reverse the charges have all the documentation in hand and keep it for at least 6 months. The frame I returned they tried to recharge our account for full value of the frame months later. Guess they thought we would not notice a major jump in the bill. I reversed the charges once again and escalated the issue legally sending a formal letter.

Funny all the company would of had to do is resolve a simple issue. The consumer would of been happy about it and spread the word most likely capturing additional business. Nope that seems to be to difficult these days. Retailers are more concerned about saving a few dollars then saving consumers. I say fine save the $10 bucks and you will loose multiple consumers for life. Odd how this new economic math is working out for everyone these days.

· Always Learning
9,593 Posts
Dropout33 said:
Heres the deal, I ordered a custom frame from a highly regarded builder on here that you can get in about 20 colors. On the order form there is only 3 options black, white, raw and thereafter you can discuss custom colors by email.
Afterwards I communicated I wanted one of the custom colors. He received the email with the color and stated he would call to discuss.
On the surface it sounds like that's about all I need to hear. You emailed your color choice to him, he received it and replied he would call you to discuss your custom color choice of dark blue. He never called and suddenly, pardon the pun, "out of the BLUE" a shipping notification arrives in your email box followed by you receiving a box filled with a BLACK frame.

Hmmmmm.......

It sure seems - at least from the information you provide in the description of what transpired in the ordering process - that a mistake was made on the end of the builder and a replacement frame in the color you ordered is due.

Dropout33 said:
Go back and forth with the option to send it back he wanted me to drop ship to another customer here in the states and i refuse. Covering my butt in case I need to deal with the credit card company to get my money back.

He pretty much tells me to go eff myself and I have to return the frame on my dime.
He actually told you to go phook yourself? Wow! Now that's great business.:madman: Did he really use that word? :nono:

All the best in a resolution. Mistakes happen.

BB

· Registered
568 Posts
The business aspect from what you are saying is all arse backwards.

But you can always paint your frame yourself, and thats a lot of fun! Or shell out about a hundred and get it powder coated! But whats color anyway, bikes get beat up, and Id rather see a beat up bike than a bike that looks pretty.

· Registered
341 Posts
If what you are telling us is true and accurate, than I would return the frame for a full refund. If he treats you like dirt over his small mistake, than how will he treat you if something big happens, like a warranty issue.
I work for a company that has been awarded many times by JDPower for our customer service, so I know a thing or two about the subject. If what you say is true, he does not sound like he needs or wants your buisness. Shop with a company that wants to do buisness with you. It does not matter how good his product is if he can't give good service.
DO NOT DROP SHIP. That is just asking for trouble. Only ship it back to the builder, and insure it, even if you have to pay for it. Always cover your A$$!
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.