Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am visiting my folks in Warren, VT this weekend. Can you still access the camel's hump state forest trails from near the sugar run condo complex at the top there? I read in a valley reporter a while ago that there was some talk of closure of that. is there some other access? didn't someone make traps or something?

thanks.
jh

·
stoneblender
380 Posts
It's a tough go from Sugar Run proper to get over the top of Tucker Hill these days. The one direct connection is not open, however you can ride up German Flats a couple hundred yards to Two Ponds Road and get back in the woods there. If you go Two Ponds, look for a sharp 90 deg right off the end of the road. This will put you over towards the SB Inn and then on up behind Southface. From Southface/ Eurich Pond area, you can easily connect over to the top of Tucker Hill or Dana Hill on any number of trail choices. My favorite route is Hell Hill(not my fav, but it is a necessary evil) > Race Course >Ridgie > Maple Twist to the top of Tucker Hill and then into Camel's Hump SF. If you haven't been following our progress, we are close to legitimizing the trails in CHSF and have been doing lots of maintenance work in there this year. The trails are in the best shape ever.

All the trails above Sugar Run are still open and riding well, except for Hill which is overgrown near the Tucker Hill end, like it always is this time of year. Stop in Stark Mountain Bikes for more info on how to link it together. Consider supporting VMBA/ MRR too. We have been working hard to maintain trails and grow access in the area.

Good luck and have fun!

John
www.vmba.org
[email protected]

p.s. Aside from one trail, the old Techie, that isn't open now, the Sugar Run stuff to Marble/Harris Hill and out to German Flats is still really sweet. We traditionally climb through here, but the other day we ended up descending it. Man, it is ripping! Rolling fast, wheelie drops, carving corners, jumping, hopping, bobbing and weaving.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
atkinson said:
It's a tough go from Sugar Run proper to get over the top of Tucker Hill these days. The one direct connection is not open, however you can ride up German Flats a couple hundred yards to Two Ponds Road and get back in the woods there. If you go Two Ponds, look for a sharp 90 deg right off the end of the road. This will put you over towards the SB Inn and then on up behind Southface. From Southface/ Eurich Pond area, you can easily connect over to the top of Tucker Hill or Dana Hill on any number of trail choices. My favorite route is Hell Hill(not my fav, but it is a necessary evil) > Race Course >Ridgie > Maple Twist to the top of Tucker Hill and then into Camel's Hump SF. If you haven't been following our progress, we are close to legitimizing the trails in CHSF and have been doing lots of maintenance work in there this year. The trails are in the best shape ever.

All the trails above Sugar Run are still open and riding well, except for Hill which is overgrown near the Tucker Hill end, like it always is this time of year. Stop in Stark Mountain Bikes for more info on how to link it together. Consider supporting VMBA/ MRR too. We have been working hard to maintain trails and grow access in the area.

Good luck and have fun!

John
www.vmba.org
[email protected]

p.s. Aside from one trail, the old Techie, that isn't open now, the Sugar Run stuff to Marble/Harris Hill and out to German Flats is still really sweet. We traditionally climb through here, but the other day we ended up descending it. Man, it is ripping! Rolling fast, wheelie drops, carving corners, jumping, hopping, bobbing and weaving.
thanks. my folks live near the upper end of things, so i wanted to at least decend down through the trails and then ask at the bike shop about what's to do. i will try to follow your instructions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts