Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cycologist
10,324 Posts
Pretty sure all companies will not honor a warranty beyond the original owner.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,874 Posts
I got a lifetime on a second hand Trek 5500 ....back in the day.

BB cracked, got a brand new US Postal TDF frame as replacement, free.

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
Specialized is starting to offer warranty for a second owner within 2 years of the original purchase date, but it might only be on their e-bikes. I've even heard rumors of bike lease agreements coming next year.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So how does Trek check if you're the original owner?

I bought a used Stache and got the original receipt from the first owner. Registered the bike online with Trek shortly after.

Knock on wood I havent had any issues but would be nice to know

·
Registered
147 Posts
Buy a bike as a gift, no warranty?

The reciept has no name on it. Just a date of purchase, shop and price.
My Stache came with the previous owner's invoice with his name and address on. Pretty standard here in Europe.

My road bike from last year was gifted to me and the invoice does not have my name.

Just curious on how they handle it.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,874 Posts

I bought a used Stache and got the original receipt from the first owner. Registered the bike online with Trek shortly after.

if you have original receipt (I did) and bike shop didn't make an extra effort to mention I was the second owner, Trek replaced frame. again this is BITD, nowadays prob much stricter

·
Cycologist
10,324 Posts

Did the original owner register the bike or did the shop do it when he/she purchased? If so, not sure Trek would honor. If not, you may be covered, though they may ask for a copy of the receipt and then question the difference in name.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My Fuel 9.7 was bought at a Trek Superstore. I bet it’s registered or something. If I damage my frame I’ll probably buy a ex5 and swap parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.