Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did do a search for this but it seems like a difficult inquiry. My fiancé and I, along with my other siblings would like to buy our youngest brother a new bike as a graduation gift next month. He has been riding my old ’96 Hoo Koo E Koo for some time now and needless to say after all the “tough times” I put it through including bike messenger duty for a summer in Boston it is in bad shape. If we buy him a bike can he still make use of the warranty or is that considered transfer of ownership even though it will be brand new and owner registration card has not been filled out. I guess, how exactly would that work out?

Thanks for you help!

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
just

fill out the card in his name and retain the receipt, you'll be fine and fully covered. Gifts/warranties are very normal, just think of Christmas gifts alone for example, or new appliances in a home bought by the builder, not the homeowner. Transferability implies transfer of ownership for resale, so you're fine. Jim

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. He should be sure to register as the owner when he gets it. Make sure he gets the purchase receipt so he can prove that it was purchased as a new bike. With the receipt in-hand, he can explain that is was a gift.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that is what I had suspected but I wanted to be sure. It's not that I distrust dealers but I have had sales personell tell me something just to make a sale. I've learned it doesn't hurt to double check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.