Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on my warranty. I purchased a Rz140 5 about 3 months ago. I absolutely love it, but have a problem with the elixir r rear caliper. Basically the pads are rubbing against the disc whilst riding (brakes unengaged). I have tried all the usual stuff like pushing the pads back in, bleeding, cleaning etc. However, after about 10 mins the rubbing returns with an awful squeak. I have come to the conclusion that there is a bigger problem with the caliper. I have 3 questions -

1) is this covered by warranty?
2) will any cannondale dealer sort this issue ( as I purchased the bike through mail order)?
3) I use the bike regularly so would the dealer supply a brake to use whilst this issue is being sorted so I am not without a bike?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I need some advice on my warranty. I purchased a Rz140 5 about 3 months ago. I absolutely love it, but have a problem with the elixir r rear caliper. Basically the pads are rubbing against the disc whilst riding (brakes unengaged). I have tried all the usual stuff like pushing the pads back in, bleeding, cleaning etc. However, after about 10 mins the rubbing returns with an awful squeak. I have come to the conclusion that there is a bigger problem with the caliper. I have 3 questions -

1) is this covered by warranty?
2) will any cannondale dealer sort this issue ( as I purchased the bike through mail order)?
3) I use the bike regularly so would the dealer supply a brake to use whilst this issue is being sorted so I am not without a bike?
I'm sure Avid have a 1 year warranty on their products.

I have have a few sets of various Avid brakes, they all have rubbed at some point to degree. Its possible you just have a bit to much fluid in the system or your calliper simply needs realigned.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Take it to your shop, let them look at it. If its not a bleed or set-up issue, it could be something like a sticking piston.

If you have not already, do a search or repost in the brake section, im sure others will have had similar issues.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
I think they're crap honestly.
Thank you, someone had to say it.

I've seen this many times with Avid brakes over the years, and it seems to be getting worse.

Regardless of these observations, they are a good company who stands behind their product. Your LBS should be able to easily sort it out with Avid for you.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am sure I could do it, but I thunk it should be done under warranty. I am worried that if I don't I could invalidate it. However, I need to know whether it is covered.
Avid's warranty is a year, or it is in the UK, as i have had various problems fixed on warranty before with Avids.

Call the bike store where you got the bike.

Once they are fixed, sell them and buy some Formula R1's :thumbsup:

·
Registered
562 Posts
R1 are not much better IMO, they're good, more consistent but they overheat waaaay too easily. Older Formulas were the best though and I haven't tried newer, other models.
I really can't agree with your statement about R1's, as its certainly the first time i have heard that they have heat problems, in fact its normally the opposite that's said or concluded after comparison or lab tests that i have read.

I have ridden European Enduro gravity events using R1's where i could be almost constantly descending for two hours or even more, and i have never had any over heating issues.
In fact many of the top Enduro riders, including Remy Absalon who is a Euro Enduro Series winner and Mégavalanche Alpe d'Huez winner uses R1's on his Commencal's.

But your entitled to your own opinions, as that's what makes the world a more interesting place :) :).

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yep, everyone has an opininion. One thing you will find though, is that most people agree that the Avids are pretty much worthless. The only brake I've ever had cease up on a ride and not retract were avid elixir. Just to give my 2 cents, the old Magura Martas are very hard to beat. Just got a pair the new MT8's to try out. Hope they are better than the R1's, as I really didn't like them. R1's have great modulation, but to me, they just don't have the stopping power I like to feel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems that my brake problems are a common problem. I have now booked the bike on with Evans here in the UK. They said they should be able to sort it out under warranty. My front brake works Brilliantly so guess if they van get the back one like that I will have no problems with keeping them. To me it is not whether or not things go wrong (as they always do), it is the manner in which the problem is resolved that is most important.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, the saga continues. I dropped my bike off at Evans in the UK to have the faulty break looked at under warranty. They now tell me that even though the faulty parts are covered under warranty, they will have to charge me £35 for labour (their standard break service charge). After arguing that I should not have to pay anything if the break is faulty (which it is), I had to agree to the charge as they said it was standard practice with Cannondale and other manufacturers not to pay for labour on warranty issues!
What is the point of having a warranty if you end up coughing up money to have things put right!
I would appreciate some advice on what I can do about this as it has left a very bitter taste in my mouth!

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,264 Posts
Ok, the saga continues. I dropped my bike off at Evans in the UK to have the faulty break looked at under warranty. They now tell me that even though the faulty parts are covered under warranty, they will have to charge me £35 for labour (their standard break service charge). After arguing that I should not have to pay anything if the break is faulty (which it is), I had to agree to the charge as they said it was standard practice with Cannondale and other manufacturers not to pay for labour on warranty issues!
What is the point of having a warranty if you end up coughing up money to have things put right!
I would appreciate some advice on what I can do about this as it has left a very bitter taste in my mouth!
That is BS or as you guys would say, "rubbish"......

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Yep, standard procedure. The shop should lose $ installing new parts for you? What did they do that requires them to lose $ on this situation? Warranty covers the part, not the labor. Any shop I ever worked in, you break a frame/part, you get a new one free, and pay for the rebuild/install.

If you'd prefer to have to buy the new replacement brake, over being given one, I'm sure that the manufacturer would be delighted to take you up on your offer. :p

If you are a great customer, and the shop knows you, and they feel like being nice, sure, they can opt to do it for free as a perk to you, but labor is not part of warranty. Never was, never will be.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I guess that is the way they do it in cycling. In my opinion, this is not a proper warranty. It is a good job that the car industry does not operate on the same principal! Bike manufacturers are conning their customers and making them pay for substandard components or assembly!

At the end of the day, it is only costing me £35 so i can live with it, but it has been caused by Cannondale selling a bike that is not fit for purpose.

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,264 Posts
Yep, standard procedure. The shop should lose $ installing new parts for you? What did they do that requires them to lose $ on this situation? Warranty covers the part, not the labor. Any shop I ever worked in, you break a frame/part, you get a new one free, and pay for the rebuild/install.

If you'd prefer to have to buy the new replacement brake, over being given one, I'm sure that the manufacturer would be delighted to take you up on your offer. :p

If you are a great customer, and the shop knows you, and they feel like being nice, sure, they can opt to do it for free as a perk to you, but labor is not part of warranty. Never was, never will be.
I never heard that...especially after only 3 months...so if a Lefty breaks after 3 months, the customer needs to pay for a complete rebuild only because an o-ring busted?
The only time I heard of labor costs is when parts were swapped over to a new frame in case of a frame failure....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.