Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's official, I "popped" at Sea Otter:madman: :madman: :madman:
I did ok in the 45+, Cat 4 road race on Friday, got 7th, not as good as my 3rd place from last year, but not bad. felt really tired on Saturday, did all the right things to recover in time for Sundays XC race. Sunday morning I felt really tired, lethargic, no desire to do the race. But, I've felt that way many times before a race and did great. Half way into my first lap ( after a crash or 2) I could not keep up with group and knew this was not my day and decided to DNF after my first lap. I HUGE disappointment after getting 6th last year:madman: :madman:
What went wrong? Over trained? not eating right? Sick? I am 99% sure I "popped" due to a bunch of stress in my life that fried my nervous system, the jitters of the races put me over the edge. Since I DNF'D on Sunday I have been sleeping 10 -12 hours per night and still feel tired all the time, but each day I keep on feeling a little better as I take it easy and recharge the batteries.
There is a great article in this months Velo News by Rick Crawford on this subject. I knew I was taking enough time off the bike to recover leading up to the race, what I did not take in to account was, even though I was off the bike, my nervous system was being worked hard, by the stresses in my business and personal life leading up to the race.
Hopefully some of you can learn from my mistake. Hope to be back racing soon.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Great decision to pull off the course Sunday.

Congratulations on making a smart choice. it is a hard thing to do when highly motivated to keep moving forward.

I am interested to know how the race schedule and it's intensity this year compares to last year. Further, given your real life circumstances, how did this effect your training?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Berkeley Mike said:
I am interested to know how the race schedule and it's intensity this year compares to last year. Further, given your real life circumstances, how did this effect your training?
My race schedule and training are almost identical to last year, when I had my best results ever. I did train a little harder the 2 weeks leading up to the race, then last year. A few longer intervals, but only 1 time per week with plenty of time off the bike, my hours on the bike were even less then last year. I think it was the stress in my life off the bike, that basically screwed up my recovery. I have a big thing going on at work that I was loosing sleep over and I always loose some sleep the week leading up to a big race like Sea Otter. :madmax:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I get what your saying. While I'm not up to your level. I'm finding out now how much is mental. I quit my job months ago out of pure frustration. It felt great...at first. Perfect timing with the economy taking a dump. I thought, well no matter how bad it gets at least I'll have the time to train. Which I've done and I think I may have gotten stronger (first test is in a week). But I think the cost may be too great for what maybe 5 watts and probably not even enjoying it. Now I think stress of job searching is probably just as much stress as the job I left, at least I was getting something for my frustration. I Tried to find a link to the article you spoke of, is it on the Velo site I'd really like to know more about it? I'm sorry I don't have any cheery advise or solutions I'm just posting to say I get what your saying and I'm hoping for better days. It does remind me of a saying I heard though. When you're going through Hell, Keep going.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
"when in doubt, leave it out" - Friel

That's a great philosophy to live by, and you did exactly that.

"train hard, but rest harder" - unknown

The mental stress you had probably affected the latter part of that phrase. And with us being in our forties, quality rest gets even more important. I've even started naping in the car at lunch time just to get that little extra in.

Also, I saw some posts where you joked about being as skinny as Rassmussen. Significant weight lost may have affect on the ability to recover, as well. How much lighter are you than your typical race weight?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Milkman said:
I Tried to find a link to the article you spoke of, is it on the Velo site I'd really like to know more about it? I'm sorry I don't have any cheery advise or solutions I'm just posting to say I get what your saying and I'm hoping for better days.
The article is this months magazine, not online. If you get a chance pick it up, it is a great article! No need for the cheery advise, I'm feeling better every day and can even start to think about doing a long ride again, but will wait a few more days to play it safe

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poncharelli said:
"when in doubt, leave it out" - Friel

with us being in our forties, quality rest gets even more important. I've even started naping in the car at lunch time just to get that little extra in.

Also, I saw some posts where you joked about being as skinny as Rassmussen. Significant weight lost may have affect on the ability to recover, as well. How much lighter are you than your typical race weight?
Quality rest has always been an issue for me and now I finally paid the price :madmax: I learned my lesson.
As to Rasmussen, I don't remember ever saying I was as skinny as him, I think I said I get all my drugs from him;) ;) I'm 6", 154 right now, in the winter I was only a couple pounds heavier.

·
Registered
177 Posts
thanks for the post. good to know that other more experienced racers are going through the same things that I am. I just had a crap race, mostly due to outside stress (finals at school, plus wife, two kids and a job...college ain't easy when you're old!). I just wasn't sleeping enough, couldn't recover from workouts so I took it easy, and wasn't able to ride hard in the race.

it's a tough pill to swallow, but I guess it's better than being at your best with no stress and perfect training and still sucking, eh? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kngpengwin said:
but I guess it's better than being at your best with no stress and perfect training and still sucking, eh? :thumbsup:
YES! Thank god for good excuses :thumbsup: ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
kngpengwin said:
thanks for the post. good to know that other more experienced racers are going through the same things that I am. I just had a crap race, mostly due to outside stress (finals at school, plus wife, two kids and a job...college ain't easy when you're old!). I just wasn't sleeping enough, couldn't recover from workouts so I took it easy, and wasn't able to ride hard in the race.

it's a tough pill to swallow, but I guess it's better than being at your best with no stress and perfect training and still sucking, eh? :thumbsup:
That makes 3, or 4, of us on this thread. Had my inaugural race of the season last weekend and did horribly. I just ran out of gas and watched everyone ride by, which does obvious damage in and of itself. I did NOT want a DNF so I marched on. :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman:

This after training 'better and smarter' than in yrs past.

Very disappointing, in spite of keeping a chin-up approach but that only last so long.

Gotta admit defeat, assess the possible reasons for the outcome, and gear up for the next gig.

Possible reasons...less sleep prior few nights, busy w/family, forgetting the need to rest up a few days prior, forgetting the importance of the mental component.

In terms of training, more intense efforts are needed with rm for recovery.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Make it 5. Training up to the sea otter, diet and all then BAM. Broke my chain. Well first of all my brother raced, which I usually use his hardtail, so I used my 6" Teocalli, overkill for the course. Anyways, I DNF the xc race also, due to having "on trail assistence" to fix my chain, even though others podiumed with it, and the worst part is the people who got 1,2,3 are the people I usually ride with.

·
Natural body armor
2,176 Posts
This is definitely something to learn from. I'm in the first year of planned training and I had put Sea Otter as first A priority race (After five B/C races this season).

I can't say my race didn't go well but I felt empty and unmotivated: I can't believe how different it was from the second and third race this season where I felt strong and motivated.
I missed my target time by over 8 minutes...

I can see I went too hard too soon and ended up 'popping' at SOC. A good lesson for next year.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ThrashNY said:
That makes 3, or 4, of us on this thread. Had my inaugural race of the season last weekend and did horribly. I just ran out of gas and watched everyone ride by, which does obvious damage in and of itself. I did NOT want a DNF so I marched on. :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman:

This after training 'better and smarter' than in yrs past.

Very disappointing, in spite of keeping a chin-up approach but that only last so long.

Gotta admit defeat, assess the possible reasons for the outcome, and gear up for the next gig.

Possible reasons...less sleep prior few nights, busy w/family, forgetting the need to rest up a few days prior, forgetting the importance of the mental component.

In terms of training, more intense efforts are needed with rm for recovery.

Make it 6
Wow, exactly what i went through about 3 weeks ago, i trained well, smoked a couple of my buddies a week before the race while training, race day i felt like crap, no energy, did the final lap just for pride, 2-3 days prior to the race i couldn't sleep well, i had trained early in the am or in the evenings, race started at noon with a 95ºF temp, so i think that played a factor in my poor performance as well...!!!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Preaching to the chior

merlin said:
Quality rest has always been an issue for me and now I finally paid the price :madmax: I learned my lesson.
As to Rasmussen, I don't remember ever saying I was as skinny as him, I think I said I get all my drugs from him;) ;) I'm 6", 154 right now, in the winter I was only a couple pounds heavier.
Jeeez, I soooo identify with your initial post. You have my sympathies. My life situation would be similar - and I paid the price @ Boggs III myself, and I really couldn't figure out what went wrong until reading that Velonews article and your post. Makes as much sense to me as anything.
And if you're "Rasmussen like" I'm reeeallly in trouble - 6'2' @ 155 lbs.
:thumbsup: Merlin, you'll get them @ Downieville.

·
Registered
154 Posts
jms said:
Jeeez, I soooo identify with your initial post. You have my sympathies. My life situation would be similar - and I paid the price @ Boggs III myself, and I really couldn't figure out what went wrong until reading that Velonews article and your post. Makes as much sense to me as anything.
And if you're "Rasmussen like" I'm reeeallly in trouble - 6'2' @ 155 lbs.
:thumbsup: Merlin, you'll get them @ Downieville.

Wow, how do both you guys not get blown away by the wind? I guess those weights are good for road riding but I would think you could use a little more muscle for tech sections on the MTB. I am 6'1 175lb down from 180lb over the winter and thought I looked pretty skinny. I guess I don't really know what skinny is.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pmac83 said:
Wow, how do both you guys not get blown away by the wind? I guess those weights are good for road riding but I would think you could use a little more muscle for tech sections on the MTB.
Tom Rassmussen was the world MTB champion 10 years ago...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
merlin said:
Tom Rassmussen was the world MTB champion 10 years ago...

That pic was from the Tour 2 yrs ago. He may have had a bit more beef on him in the mtb-ing days.

Disgusting pic nonetheless.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts