Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great color! Is that a custom color?

Congrats, look forward to seeing your build get posted and reading the first ride report. Riding a new bike for the first is like that first drive of a new car! Enjoy.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trailadvent said:
Stunning color mudpie I do like those little green bushings too :D
Thanks, I am Glad it was a stock color as it was my first choice. The green bushings were unexpected but a cool surprise. Now I just need to take them apart and put my push bushings in there...;)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trailadvent said:
What ya not even gonna rde them green lantern bushing first :D

What's ya build specc mudpie? :thumbsup:
RS 2 step
Formula mega ones
king/dt 5.1 wheels
xo Grip & Rear D
xtr frt Der
rf atlas cranks
thomson/thomson
fsa gravity carbon bar
alias saddle
tires/not sure yet
time carbon pedals

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Finished the build and had a great ride tonight. I spent 3 hrs on the bike in the cold mountains of western NC tonight. I have to eat and shower but Have some very interesting thoughts, sorry......no time for the finished build pics. But I can leave you with this for now....
Sleep tight:ciappa:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
After Finally getting the build finished and time to ride I came away very impressed. Last nights ride was in the pisgah mtns where we have lots of roots and big rocks and in the past have felt like the Sultan was a little over matched IMO, not by much but a little.

The ride starts out with quite a bit of climbing so it did not take long to realize the dw set up surpassed my climbing expectations. Even with the pro pedal off it feels like there is no bob at all, almost like being on a hardtail. It really makes climbing a breeze by not bobbing around wasting energy. Climbing traction is right on as the wheel remains firmly on the ground when things get steep and techy the rear wheel sticks like glue. In most cases I do not enjoy long sustained climbs but I have to say the dw spot has brought a little bit of joy back for me in regards to going up, which is a good thing as there is Alot of good sized climbs near me.
On the top when things leveled out a little the Spot just flat out hammers. The improved acceleration is noticed immediately as the bike just rips and carves singletrack with ease, yes its faster. The rear is more stout then previous spots and this translates on the trail with a more laterally stiff rear end making the bike feel very solid in the turns even when leaned way over on it.

After being on my 08 RFX for a while I was concerned with what the downhills would be like without 6.75 of travel. That lasted about 5 seconds, all the spot wanted to do was hammer down. Whether you are picking lines and dart down or bombing over Rocks and roots either way the bike just gets it done. It may only be 5.5 inches of travel but it feels like alot more and the suspension feels balanced all the way through the stroke and again the rear is just planted to the ground. It really does feel like your on a rocket.

I have the lyrik 2 step up front and really felt like it is the ideal size fork for the trails I ride and I really enjoyed airing it out, as the bike just felt perfectly balanced while in the air. It just seemed to land perfectly after every jump.

Bottom line is I have had a few Turners and can say with out hesitation this is the cream of the crop IMO. I am always impressed when getting on a turner but this is different. It is a whole new ride, a whole new experience and I was impressed with every aspect of the ride. I look forward to getting to know this bike even more....

Set up
I weigh 205
I ran the shock with 190 psi which gave me 30% sag(seem to be right in my wheelhouse)
propedal was off /did not need it
rebound 5 clicks in

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
I pretty much agree with everything you said. I have enough rides on the dw sultan to proclaim it the hands-down winner in every regard. Amazing bike!

I'll let you have a spin on it when I swing through Brevard to pick up a frame. :thumbsup:

·
Ridin' in iRie meditation
312 Posts
Gorgeous bike and great write up!

I'll say this, if I had to describe my '05 HL Spot and the way it rides, I'd pretty much write exactly what you have here. That's not a knock on the DWL Turners at all - more like a compliment to previous incarnations and Turners in general.

Are the DWLs better? Probably. I know my wallet won't let me find out anytime soon.

Plus, I can't imagine getting much better than what I have. Especially when any shortcomings in riding are not the bike's fault, rather the sorry @ss on the saddle. :D

Glad your lovin' your new Spot. :thumbsup:

mudpie said:
After Finally getting the build finished and time to ride I came away very impressed. Last nights ride was in the pisgah mtns where we have lots of roots and big rocks and in the past have felt like the Sultan was a little over matched IMO, not by much but a little.

The ride starts out with quite a bit of climbing so it did not take long to realize the dw set up surpassed my climbing expectations. Even with the pro pedal off it feels like there is no bob at all, almost like being on a hardtail. It really makes climbing a breeze, to not be bobbing around wasting energy. Climbing traction is right on as the wheel remains firmly on the ground when things get steep and techy the rear wheel sticks like glue. In most cases I do not enjoy long sustained climbs but I have to say the dw spot has brought a little bit of joy back for me in regards to going up, which is a good thing as there is Alot of good sized climbs near me.
On the top when things leveled out a little the Spot just flat out hammers. The improved acceleration is noticed immediately as the bike just rips and carves singletrack with ease, yes its faster. The rear is more stout then previous spots and this translates on the trail with a more laterally stiff rear end making the bike feel very solid in the turns even when leaned way over on it.

After being on my 08 RFX for a while I was concerned with what the downhills would be like without 6.75 of travel. That lasted about 5 seconds, all the spot wanted to do was hammer down. Whether you are picking lines and dart down or bombing over Rocks and roots either way the bike just gets it done. It may only be 5.5 inches of travel but it feels like alot more and the suspension feels balanced all the way through the stroke and again the rear is just planted to the ground. It really does feel like your on a rocket.

I have the lyrik 2 step up front and really felt like it is the ideal size fork for the trails I ride and I really enjoyed airing it out, as the bike just felt perfectly balanced while in the air. It just seemed to land perfectly after every jump.

Bottom line is I have had a few Turners and can say with out hesitation this is the cream of the crop IMO. I am always impressed when getting on a turner but this is different. It is a whole new ride, a whole new experience and I was impressed with every aspect of the ride. I look forward to getting to know this bike even more....

Set up
I weigh 205
I ran the shock with 190 psi which gave me 30% sag(seem to be right in my wheelhouse)
propedal was off /did not need it
rebound 5 clicks in

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.