Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had to show it off. Totally reworked with NOS Campy Record/Chorus. I ditched the Record ErgoPower shifters/levers for some sweet NOS Record downtube shifters. It's a circa. '94 Columbus EL OS Filet brazed frame. I raced this for years though the mid-late 90's. It's needed some TLC from hard use for awhile. Quality Italian steel road performance!

Attachments

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Nice "old school" ride...

Nice bro...

I never been a fan of DT shifters. STI/Ergo was a aesome thing IMO, but that fits the bike very nice.

My next project will be similar in a way. I am going to build an Italian steel roadie too, but will be a modern one. NO CF any where if possible, except maybe the fork. Hoefully tradtionallloking wheels of if needed slighty modern ones that will look fine with 06 or 07 Campy.

The bike will be nothing fancy or light-weight. More of a tradtional looking, nice casual rides and easy century riding.

Are you gettign the road itch again? I amd finding myself more and more on the raodie as it's easier and faster to get a ride in, espically if the daughetr wants to come along. Also with a another one coming soon it's gets harder to get out on the MTB weekly.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DIRT BOY said:
Nice bro...

I never been a fan of DT shifters. STI/Ergo was a aesome thing IMO, but that fits the bike very nice.

My next project will be similar in a way. I am going to build an Italian steel roadie too, but will be a modern one. NO CF any where if possible, except maybe the fork. Hoefully tradtionallloking wheels of if needed slighty modern ones that will look fine with 06 or 07 Campy.

The bike will be nothing fancy or light-weight. More of a tradtional looking, nice casual rides and easy century riding.

Are you gettign the road itch again? I amd finding myself more and more on the raodie as it's easier and faster to get a ride in, espically if the daughetr wants to come along. Also with a another one coming soon it's gets harder to get out on the MTB weekly.
Thanks. I still like the road. Fast is fun! I spend most of my time training on the road during the season but this bike has been sidelined for awhile awaiting my attention. The last two seasons I have done all of my road miles on my old Tommasini fixed gear which is good for the relatively flat MN geography around here but not really much fun to ride more then 50 miles IMO. I have TONS of respect for the old guys who rode tours on a fixed gear back in the day. They were real men! I liked the ErgoPower levers a lot but I still have a soft spot in my heart for DT shifters. The NOS record DT shifters on this bike were SUPER hard to find in 8 speed and really expensive. I think the old Chorus monoplaner brakes you see here are the most elegant Campy ever made. The Cinnelli Ti Grammo stem I found on Ebay for 50 bucks NOS. This was a 300 dollar stem back in the day. Score! Like you, this will be used for club training rides and day to day longer rides when I'm not on the fixie on the road. There is nothing like the ride quality of a good Italian steel frame. It has a livliness about it that just feels right. Now I need it to warm up a bit to get it out on it's rebirth ride. I just got back from a roller ski in 10 degree temp. Note to self: must wear wind briefs when its below 15 degrees. Anyway, here are some more pics.

Attachments

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sonyisdope said:
Hey man, I've got to ask (I mean this is the "Save some weight" forum)

How much does it weigh?
In race trim I had it down to 18 something. I'd say it's more like 20lbs now. Maybe a little less/maybe more. That's almost four pounds heavier then my VooDoo HT!:eekster:

·
I ride bikes
229 Posts
My Dad has a really old 1970 something Bottechia road bike in storage in his attic. I'm very tempted to take it down during a visit and see about restoring it as a retro project.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UberFly said:
My Dad has a really old 1970 something Bottechia road bike in storage in his attic. I'm very tempted to take it down during a visit and see about restoring it as a retro project.
Old bikes need love and attention too. Bottechia made very nice frames in the day.:thumbsup:

·
ACHOO
4,487 Posts
Now that we're using this thread again, I suppose this article makes sense here. Carbon composites have come such a long way in the past 20 years.

At this point, manufacturers are able to make mountain bike frames that rival, or beat road frames in weight, which is crazy. As one example, Specialized claims their 2018 Epic Hardtail frame is lighter than their S-Works Tarmac road frame - crazy!
Specialized's new S-Works Epic Hardtail World Cup is lighter than a Tarmac - BikeRadar

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now that we're using this thread again, I suppose this article makes sense here. Carbon composites have come such a long way in the past 20 years.

At this point, manufacturers are able to make mountain bike frames that rival, or beat road frames in weight, which is crazy. As one example, Specialized claims their 2018 Epic Hardtail frame is lighter than their S-Works Tarmac road frame - crazy!
Specialized's new S-Works Epic Hardtail World Cup is lighter than a Tarmac - BikeRadar
Agreed, but after experiencing failures in every CF frame I've ever owned (including a 4 grand Wilier Cento Uno SL Road frame) I'm looking for my first Ti-framed dirt rig and forgetting the CF repair guy's phone number. Let the debate begin!

·
ACHOO
4,487 Posts
No need to debate, everyone can purchase and ride whatever they like. I am surprised though that all of your CF frames have failed - that seems almost impossible to me. (Any warranty on those frames? Why the need for a CF repair person? Just curious.)

I'm building up what I believe is my 6th CF mountain frame, and I've owned 2 CF road bikes. No issues on my side.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The first was a bar strike to the top tube crack, two head tube cracks, a top tube crack from pulling out of a pedal in a road sprint and going down on the top tube too hard for that tube and now a cracked seat tube just below the seat post clamp- Beyond warranty period. The head tube cracks were warranty jobs, but the rest resulted in big checks to the CF repair guy. I probably won't bother to repair my current frame fail.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts