Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
75% Mountain cycle
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be wrong - please know, I understand that, but I believe this Racer-X auction was a scam from last Sunday. Ebay add number 250070017879.

I was just scammed last Fall and it's the same exact MO.

If you won this acution, don't send the money without a better confirmation.

Here's why:
1. katnose40c9 has 29 feedback but they are from 2003 - nothing since.
2. The seller will only take a money order or wire transfer - this is a big clue! In the scamethey got me on, he said he would take Paypal in the payment section but in the body he said only money orders.
3. They always have a steller story about the bike, how they got it, and why they are selling it. It's really convincing but not true.
4. It's always a super high end bike with all the trimmings to fetch the highst $$.
5. They never say where they are from in the location section, probably to discourage a local sale.
6. They always use the "Private" deal for the bidders list. That way, you cannot contact the bidders to warn them. Why would anyone want to protect the identity of their bidders on a bike auction. It's fishy.
7. In the scam that got me, they had two high end bikes for sale at the same time. Look at item number 250070018700, same seller, different story about the sellers reason for selling than the Titus add. This guy has had no action since 2003 and all of a sudden he's got 2 really high end bikes for sale.
8. I sent various questions and nevr got an answer.

If you know who won this auction, warn them not to send the money order if it's not too late. The get them to get more proof the bike really exsists, get phone numbers and call, get other pictures, find out where they live.

Unless I am a paranoid freak (and I may be) this is a scam. You'll see katnose40c9 have negative feedback and be removed from ebay in the next three months.

The bad thing is, as my sacm thread shows, there is nothing the police, IC3.gov, or USPS will do about it. Never send a money order or wire transfer for anything, ever. It's a lost cause for me, but maybe not for you.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Wow... I hope the winner sees this message or realizes this before losing his/her money... (or hopefully it's a false alarm, though you make a very good point on it)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
yea that's quite possibly a scam. although they do take paypal (at least its indicated in their auction) so you still have some recourse if things go bad.

always try to pay with paypal or a credit card so you have some protection. never pay with money order unless you are almost certain they are legit.

also stay far away from any auction that instructs you to contact the seller direct via email, 99% of the time you can be sure it's a scam

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was the winner of that auction, but I did not send any money! I became immediately sucpicious for most of the reasons you listed plus quite a few others. I insisted that I talk with the seller by phone, but the number in his contact info was just an automated voicemail. He finally did call me when I wouldn't agree to pay unless he took paypal. He know nothing about the details of the bike and repeatedly insisted on my sending him a money order. Based on the callback number on my cell phone, he called from Ukraine! When I sent him an Email saying the deal was off I never heard from him again. Now he is no longer a registered eBay member. This was a cheap lesson for me!

·
75% Mountain cycle
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great!

I hope more people see this thread and learn the same lesson.

I was so tempted to bid this acution up and win it so no one would get rooked but there always that chance you are wrong and it's legit.

I wonder what happened to the guy who won the Epic fromt he same seller?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Great call SanAnMan!!! And I'm glad to hear John sniffed it out. I do A LOT of buying and selling on EBay and I look at all of the points SanAn brought up. You can really do well on EBay, but if you're not careful or are a newbie to the game, you can get burnt. Sorry that happened to you SanAn....but thanks for spreading the experience!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.