Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone at this bike shop just today, 1/2/10, sold a relative a used Bontrager 31.8 120mm stem as new. It was zip-tied to a card that listed the specs for a 60mm stem instead. Now that's integrity!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know. It's not a "new" stem if it's a take-off! It may be like new depending on the bike it came off of but it's still not new. That's why sellers 'usually' divulge that an item is a take-off. My brother doesn't know any better & doesn't want to make an issue of it but I surely will let it be known far & wide what was done. That's low!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Also wouldn't be unheard of for a shop to get a stem from the manf. on a wrong placard.
just sayin'...unless the stem is obviously used, i.e. dirty, rusty bolts, boogered bolts/threads how can you be 100%? I've seen plenty of take-offs sold as new because they are. It just could've been a stem that was swapped out for a bike sale. It still would be a new stem, IMHO.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just because you've (DSFA) seen plenty of take-offs sold as new doesn't make it right. I didn't take a close look at the stem but the 'card' it was zip-tied to had obviously seen better days. It looked like it had been pulled out of the trash.

A take-off is not new! It may be like new but it's not new. That's why it's 'normaly' divulged as a take-off.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not going to get involved either on the new/used debate but what does this have to do with Trek bikes? Maybe should have posted in the Florida forum if you were going to insist on posting it somewhere.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steamer19 said:
Not going to get involved either on the new/used debate but what does this have to do with Trek bikes? Maybe should have posted in the Florida forum if you were going to insist on posting it somewhere.
Bontrager is a Trek brand & the shop is a Trek dealer.

·
Custom User Title
371 Posts
Sometimes said:
Bontrager is a Trek brand & the shop is a Trek dealer.
OK, I am sure that many of us have had the stem (seatpost, handlebar...) replaced during the purchase of a new bike to make it fit better. That is common practice and is a free service that most dealers offer. If everybody would piss on themselves like you do right now and say that it is wrong for them to sell those take offs as new (which they are 100% with warranty), then dealers will stop performing those type of services for free.

Think!

I am a small business owner myself, and I can honestly say that it is people like you that prove no matter how hard you try and make everybody happy, there is always someone that will crap all over you and will screw it up for the rest of the consumers.

Go shop online and leave your LBSs in peace. Sheesh...

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
Dude, the stem is new. When bikes are sold new sometimes a good bike shop will fit the customer with a different stem if that works better for them. Then they sell the stem from the bike to make back the money they spent on the smaller stem. This is really no big deal. Unless the stem is scratched or bolt heads are marred, you're totally overreacting. If it really makes you that upset just take the stem back. There is no reason to blast the bike shop in forums for this.

·
Banned
18 Posts
If that is the best you could come up with to bash a bike shops reputation, then that's pretty lame. If the stem looked used or had blemishes then your brother should have realized that the stem obviously wasn't new. If it was just one that was taken off a new bike, then it IS new. Did the shop do something else that pissed you off or are you just that big of an jerkoff?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Did you bother taking this issue up with the shop, stating your dissatisfaction face to face, or did you just bushwhack them on the internet in a lame attempt to discredit them?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.