Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, I got a warning ticket today...coming down Blue Blossom, past the open part, right in the middle of the single track are 2 rangers who stop me. They couldn't get a reading on my speed, but 'it was over 15mph' so they gave me a warning. Also was told not to skid...um, yeah i wouldn't have to come to a screeching halt if they weren't in the MIDDLE of SINGLE TRACK.

I'm peeved about all of this. :madmax: I'm not blaming the rangers, they're doing the their job. This law is absolutely ridiculous. I got off on a warning (because they didn't have a reading of my speed), and she was nice to not 'take it further' because i gave fake info in the beginning and they actually verified in NY! But a $200 fine, and they could have prosecuted me for providing fake info because I WAS GOING TO FAST ON MY BICYCLE!!!! It's not like i was burying a dead body, or hiding drugs in the woods, i was riding my mtb 'too fast.' Excuse me for not categorizing this as horrendous of a crime that would warrant tax payer $$$ to prosecute and pay a high end attorney, and judge for a guy that was riding too fast on a bike trail and didn't want to deal with forest rangers and gave them a different name. San Quintin here I come!

Lets go thru possible arguments people will make so i dont' have to call you douchebags later:

1. "someone has to pay for our beautiful trails." up yours. You pay like 10% just to buy stuff in SF! And state taxes are ridiculous here! A $200 for riding your bike fast?! Lets put this in perspective and realize how stupid that sounds!

2. "you can't lie to them, they have authorization to arrest." Great, so lets put them in cities like Oakland where they can do a community good and take criminals off the street.

3. "everyone has a right to enjoy the trails." Yeah, everyone except mtb'ers. I am not really riding my bike to the extent of the sport at 15mph. 15mph on single track including blue blossom, and steam donkey! Why can't a mtb be given the right of way on downhill singletrack ever and let others (hikers, horses, and mtbers climbing) be given notice to be aware? We can't compromise?!

If a mtb can't enjoy single track, then maybe skeggs should just prohibit mtbiking there instead of creating a criminal environment there by luring riders in with sweet single track then dinging them for riding it to it's full extent.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
crapaccount said:
Lets go thru possible arguments people will make so i dont' have to call you douchebags later:
LMAO!

It would be nice if CA was like CO. When we were there a few months ago, mtbking was totally accepted and supported. There were even trails designed to help beginners learn how to ride, and gave general trail guidelines. It was awesome. It seemed like there was a mutual understanding between hikers and bikers too. Everyone was super nice and got along great. Too much tension in CA....

·
Registered
670 Posts
No doubt. I was back in CO for a month visiting my parents (I grew up there) and went out for a ride in at Dakota Ridge, just outside Denver. I was about to go down a steep rocky section when I saw a couple of women hiking, probably 40-45 years of age. I slow way down and before I could stop they step off to the side and one of them says "You need to keep your momentum through this section"

Heard about the speed trap when we were at skeggs. Someone gave us the heads up, so we went the other direction.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lucky you got warning! I should have known something was up when the parking lots were super bare. They had f'ing radar guns! Seriously, this is the type of 'crime' our taxpayer money is going towards? Was there a statistic that 90% of mtb riders who ride 'fast' also molest children? I must be missing something on why this is important.

·
Older than I feel
1,903 Posts
crapaccount said:
Seriously, I got a warning ticket today..
So you didn't get a real ticket and you're still b!tching? Call the waahmbulance.

Yeah, 15 MPH is a stupid law, and I wouldn't have expected radar rangers on that section of Blue Blossom, but YOU DIDN'T ACTUALLY GET A TICKET. So what's the problem?

·
Recreational Terrorist
425 Posts
They were out today in Steven's Canyon at their usual spot. If anyone isn't aware, it's the speed trap at the bottom of the fast fire road heading to grizzly flat. They stand as far left as possible around the corner so that you don't see them until it's too late.

I saw them on the climb up and made extra effort to go slow as I was decending. One of the rangers said, "Common, I know you ride faster than that." I just laughed.

Ticketing mountain bikers is easy money for OSP.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just moved here from the EastCoast and can honestly say that I've never heard of speeding tickets/radar on trails before I moved back to the Bay.

So Chucko.... "the problem" is that receiving warnings or tickets is a pretty unique burden being placed on local riders. By your logic, just because an unfair law doesn't affect one personally, one shouldn't feel outraged because of it. Glad you aren't in govt!

Anyways... I'm down to add my signature somewhere if possible. I just went to Arastradero over Skeggs to avoid this BS.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
dan51 said:
Everyone was super nice and got along great. Too much tension in CA....
Seems to me it's just NorCal. In 6 years riding in SoCal I never saw a ranger with a radar gun. I was really shocked the first time I saw them while coming down on Kennedy.

Everywhere else rangers do ranger work, but not here: I wonder why...
ZT

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,570 Posts
gee *****ing about the rules on trails that aren't owned or paid for by your taxes, that you get to ride for free. and unless you are one of the few souls that actually get out and work on trail days Shadddup

LOL

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is problem for us mtbiker, when rangers go there and point their radar on us. I believe this stems from complaint coming from hikers and equestrian. I see some riders who doesn't slow down when there are hikers or equestrian. We have to ride on posted limit as it is the regulation here. Only two option we have to go somewhere or take a chance.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
chucko58 said:
So you didn't get a real ticket and you're still b!tching? Call the waahmbulance.

Yeah, 15 MPH is a stupid law, and I wouldn't have expected radar rangers on that section of Blue Blossom, but YOU DIDN'T ACTUALLY GET A TICKET. So what's the problem?
The problem is the law is retarded. And these 'cops' are taking their jobs too seriously saying they have the right to prosecute me because I gave them false info (like I said, I'd love to go to court and waste all of our money justifying why I felt it was insignificant to lie to a ranger about riding my bicycle too fast). It's the principal of their power wasting time, $$$, and ruining mtbing (15mph!!!!!). You can refer to comment #2, because I didn't have a specific response to your concern.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Buzz Cut said:
gee *****ing about the rules on trails that aren't owned or paid for by your taxes, that you get to ride for free. and unless you are one of the few souls that actually get out and work on trail days Shadddup

LOL
Funding

The District's primary revenue source is a share of the annual total property tax collected within the District. This amounts to about 1.7 cents per $100 of assessed property value, which currently provides $23.9 million in tax revenue (fiscal year 2006-2007). Other revenue sources may include federal and state grants, interest and rental income, donations, land gifts, and note issues. The overall financial health of the District remains strong and stable, and the District remains committed to a precautionary approach in spending.

The District covers an area of 550 square miles and includes 17 cities (Atherton, Cupertino, East Palo Alto, Half Moon Bay, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Los Gatos, Menlo Park, Monte Sereno, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Portola Valley, Redwood City, San Carlos, Saratoga, Sunnyvale, and Woodside).

So since our tax money gives them money for radar guns, you can apply any of my douche comments to yourself as well. If these rangers can enforce the law, put them to use enforcing real laws.

·
Bomber
982 Posts
What about a critical ass ride. If we find out about the radar soon enough we can get like 20 riders blazing past at 25mph. Man that would be fun.

Idiot moment over.

·
Older than I feel
1,903 Posts
crapaccount said:
The problem is the law is retarded.
So get involved with MROSD and get the law changed.

This isn't new. MidPen's been enforcing this limit for years. I've seen those radar rangers in Stevens Canyon myself, over a decade ago. How come you never heard about it?

Oh, and calling Buzz Cut a douche doesn't help your cause. He's a volunteer fire fighter at a firehouse on Skyline Blvd. He might be the guy who saves your sorry ass on a bad day on the trail.

Be thankful there is public land you can ride on, and public servants who will scoop you up when you screw up.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts