Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
WTF
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated!!! Asking my gf to marry me, how to?

Update; see last post

warning, not mtbing related but passion related so this is in the passion forum.

Me and my gf are both avid mtb'ers, (me more than her, but she does love it) and I will be asking her to marry me this Christmas. But with the xmas coming full speed I still have no idea how to do it. :confused:

So gimme some ideas!:thumbsup:

(remember, must be low budget/plannable between now and 25th) THANKS

·
Registered
362 Posts
congrats!

Since you need an engagement ring anyways, that could be your present to her. To be opened last. She will be speechless, then pop the question. Would be nice if it was in front of her family.

good luck!

·
MFin' Princess
5,488 Posts
spartan034 said:
So gimme some ideas!:thumbsup:
Avoid cheese. Which generally requires avoiding horse and carriage rides, hidden boomboxes and hokey mixtapes, and rings hidden inside of champagne glasses.

My vote: spontaneity. It's your single best insurance against cheese. Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
This is how it started...
341 Posts
Yup. What oscarc said. Put the ring in a small box, have her open it last and when she sees it.....pop the question! Simple and effective.
It worked for me!
Congratulations on making the decision to commit to someone who loves doing what you do!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Just ask her and give her the ring.

My wife knew the ring was coming, she picked it out. However, the surprise was a little ruined when she heard the message on my machine from the jeweler that the ring was ready. I got home and she was in my apartment asking if I had something for her.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Dude women are so different about this that one may think a particular way of asking is stupid and hokey and others would think it is perfect. The good news is that, if she really wants to marry you, I don't think she'll give a rat's ass how you ask as long as you ask.

My suggestions:

Looking stupid and fumbling all over yourself when asking a woman to marry you is probably one of the only times she would love to see you look stupid and fumble all over yourself. So don't worry about being nervous. She would probably like it.

Don't presume a yes answer, or at least be good at faking the fact that you don't presume a yes answer.

However you ask, it should be heartfelt.

·
Registered
319 Posts
spartan034 said:
(remember, must be low budget/plannable between now and 25th) THANKS
This is truly one of the best posts of the year. You, sir, are a true mountain biker: posting the above on December 23rd, asking how to ask your girlfriend to marry you in less than 48 hours, indicates exactly the right kinds of priorities. I admire you greatly- and I'm not being facetious. If I could sack up, I'd probably ask mine to marry me. No advice, but good luck to you, and merry Christmas!

·
Registered
390 Posts
a coworker that lived in another state gave me my idea. Buy a journal, write in 1st person as your girlfriend. Describe everything she did that day - typical day, blah blah blah. Then get to the part of where you are going to take her and start to describe the proposal. Then take her to that place. Give her the journal and have her read it. As she is doing this get on one knee and have the ring ready. My now wife was in full tears (so was I when she said yes - i know i am a puss). She told everybody about the method and they loved it. It snowed that day and I took her down to the parkbench in denver where we first kissed to give her the journal. It was perfect with the snow and the cold weather gear and our dog. And she can use the journal to describe significant moments in her lives and let the kids read it later.

congrats dude.

·
Registered
270 Posts
wow man exciting time in your life... my advice is have love in your heart when you pop the question. and maybe if weather permiting (and she is REALLY into riding) maybe propose on the trail? however you do it i wish you all the best. me and my wife have been together for 15 yrs (married for 8) and are having a blast together. even tho she doesnt ride with me she is the best thing that ever happened to my dumb azz.

just be yourself and like posted above it's ok to be a little nervous/clumbsy in your delivery:thumbsup: AND KEEP US POSTED PLEASE!!!!

·
knock-knock...
577 Posts
i would suggest lots of fireworks, exploding things and confetti. if possible, commission a song from a death metal band called marry me tonight. have them perform it on the dinner table. then, you parachute in through a hole in the ceiling, while some kind of chorus hails your many accomplishments. the parachute MUST self destruct on landing. combustion would be the best method. then, while earthquakes and thunderstorms rage around you, you must alter history forever.

yeah, that should be about sufficient. good luck with whatever method you choose though. hope its a happy evening for ya!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Clay said:
a coworker that lived in another state gave me my idea. Buy a journal, write in 1st person as your girlfriend. Describe everything she did that day - typical day, blah blah blah. Then get to the part of where you are going to take her and start to describe the proposal. Then take her to that place. Give her the journal and have her read it. As she is doing this get on one knee and have the ring ready. My now wife was in full tears (so was I when she said yes - i know i am a puss). She told everybody about the method and they loved it. It snowed that day and I took her down to the parkbench in denver where we first kissed to give her the journal. It was perfect with the snow and the cold weather gear and our dog. And she can use the journal to describe significant moments in her lives and let the kids read it later.

congrats dude.
ill b keepin this one in mind when my time comes around!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just keep it simple. The place where you fist met,(a park?) where you had your first kiss,( a restaurant) or where you both realized you were meant for each other ( the trail?) usually works. If you do pop the question at the trail, make sure you do bring a camera a take pictures!

·
Registered
851 Posts
For non-romantic reasons I would suggest you not give the ring as a Christmas present...

Good luck with engagement/marriage - I love my wife and I think marriage has worked out well for us. She even almost understands my muddy hobby; she just gets a bit worried when I come home covered in mud and blood.

Anthony

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I almost did it for Christmas last year, but I thought it would be kinda cheesy. I ended up doing it in February. I had all the plans of grandeur, nice dinners and all this sutff. We woke up on a Saturday morning and we were just in bed, are dogs were on the bed with us and we were hanging out. The subject came up, and I decided right then and there to do it. I got up without saying anything, went into the other room and got it, came back and got down on one knee and popped the question. She cried for so long she forgot to say yes. It was great.

Until we got dogs long before we were engaged, it was always my plan to get her a puppy and have the ring on the dog's collar. Are you planning on getting a dog? :)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.