Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to take a second and share an experience and an opinion. Since as long as I can remember I’ve always wanted to be on two wheels, and for two decades have enjoyed the rides and friends that I’ve made along the way. As a husband and father of two, my interest in safety gear for my MTB and Moto habit have changed…more specifically after seeing David Baileys youtube feature “Stand for Something”. Over the last couple of years I’ve started to use more protection and use it properly, making sure to take the time to get the right fight even if it might feel uncomfortable initially. As some of my friends always say “dress for the crash, not the ride”.

Well, yesterday in my second Moto of the local RMXA race I did what hopefully not many others will do, which is test the limits of my gear. After seat bouncing a downhill double my CRF450 decided it had other plans. I made the decision after trying to correct that it would be best to throw it away. It’s important to know that this is a jump that I’d done some 200 times before, and was completely comfortable with. I ended up breaking my helmet, my right knee brace, and even my Leatt-Brace.

I see a lot of DH riders these days who aren’t wearing much more than a helmet an often say “I’m just out cruising today”, “I ride this trail all the time, I’ve got it wired”, or “safety gear is too expensive” Well, today I can’t do much more than type and talk on the phone. I have a lot of pain, scrapes, and bruising….but last night after getting a lift home and getting cleaned up I sat down with my family and had dinner.

Please take the time to be protected….let’s all make sure that we get to continue with our great sport.

Darren

Attachments

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
I agree too many ride in fashion. I myself am wearing more and more protection equipment even if it is causing discomfort or make me look goofy . But to me it is more important to beable to continue supporting the family and being able to ride the next day

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Hey Darren....glad to see you are allright.....that broken neck restraint probably means you can walk today.......I always look like the pillsbury doughboy in my armour, it is hot this time of year....some people call it suffereing, but suffering when you can't walk away

Attachments

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Geez Darren! I'm glad to hear you didn't really frock yourself up. Your talents and company are still needed on this planet.
Obviously that Honda is too much bike for you. :rolleyes: I'll be up later in the week to take it off your hands. :winker:
Heal up!

·
Registered
342 Posts
William42 said:
I've never seriously hurt myself DH/FR'ing because I have FF, full armor, shins, etc.
Haha I have the same stuff... Guess I'm just unlucky. I was wearing a 661 pressure suit when I broke the arm.
But moral of the story being that you can still hurt yourself even if it's something easy that you've done a thousand times.

·
Registered
456 Posts
now that I've crushed my L1 and L2 vertibra about two weeks into the season this year ive been doing allot of thinking about that leatt brace. how restrictive is it to ride in??

-I am (have been) one of thoes riders that only wear a full face and gloves for protection thinking "bruses and scrapes heal" I am very lucky to be walking right now and am even more lucky that I will be on the DH bike in late fall. It is an awakining experiance to be in a hospital bed for three days with nurses waking you up every 30min to see if you are paralized. there are allot of people in our sport that have not been so lucky.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
last thing...

I am glad you were lucky, but it is sad that most people learn the hard way

how many people ride without helmets dirt jumping, or anything else....then they crash and it is just so bad

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't see the Leatt brace being much of a help if it's going to break on impact...
My Helmet broke on impact as well. These devices are designed to distribute the load and burn up the impact force at a loss of the product if the crash is large enough. It's my opinion that I wouldn't be sitting here typing today without the gear I had....I feel extremely fortunate.

One of my friends dropped off my bike here at PUSH this morning and I just got back from having x-rays to ensure nothing was broken. The upper bar mounts and rear subframe at least are a wash. My doc said that everything is in tact with me, but I'm going to have a pretty rough week in the pain department.

Darren

Attachments

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
Glad to hear that you're ok. Also, great to hear you were wearing full safety gear...likely saved your spine/neck.

Another "safety tip", percocet and vicodin go well with ice cold beer :thumbsup: ...although your liver may disagree.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
Glad to hear you didn't have to start a new branch of PUSH tuning the safety gear!

_MK

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Wha.....? I thought this title was about "safety meetings"?? ;)

Aaaanyway, glad to hear you're ok Darren....seriously. To be honest, the way that something can go terribly awry on a moto-x bike makes me weary of getting one again. I'm pretty sure I'd break myself.

We're in the Whistler bike park a fair bit and see a lot of kids (and adults too) that wear nothing but jeans, a skate lid and a t-shirt. Totally understand that they're solid riders (and, of course, slaves to fashion), but those kyle straight kneepads aren't gonna do shite for them when they go down at 40 mph. It's cool to see some racers starting to wear the Leatt braces and additional padding.

Cheers,
EB

·
Registered
164 Posts
you couldn't be more right

The whole time we were at northstar last week...I was the only person wearing the Leatt brace. It took some getting used to...mostly jumping with it...but whats 400.00 bucks and a little restriction compared to being killed or paralized!!!

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Hey Darren....glad to see you are allright.....that broken neck restraint probably means you can walk today.......I always look like the pillsbury doughboy in my armour, it is hot this time of year....some people call it suffereing, but suffering when you can't walk away
Nice drop SMT. Is that with your broken wrist or old pic?

·
Registered
778 Posts
lj426 said:
The whole time we were at northstar last week...I was the only person wearing the Leatt brace. It took some getting used to...mostly jumping with it...but whats 400.00 bucks and a little restriction compared to being killed or paralized!!!
Yeah, carrying a bit more weight and shelling out some money sounds like a hell of a good deal if it means less chance of being paralyzed in a crash. I'm definitely looking into a Leatt brace, anything I need to know? Different models? Where to get them? Et cetera....

·
Registered
164 Posts
leatt

It seems there are other companies bringing these kind of saftey devices for sale.....alpine stars and EVS. EVS has said for months that their product will be ready...I couldn't wait any longer! Leatt seems to have great price controls working.....because everyone had it for the same price.... reg 395.00 and carbon fiber 595.00. The little bit of weight savings of the carbon fiber is not worth 200.00 bucks in my opinion. I bought it at a local moto cycle shop and the counter guys helped me set it up...easy. I ride more moto then mtn bike so I set mine up to use my moto style chest protecter. It comes with a small body harness...I would use this because it keeps the brace from sliding forward...biggest problem I had adjusting to it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.