Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a destination in the continental US for my wife and I to go mtbing this February.

Ideally, we’d like to find a place that’s warm, has rental bikes available, and has higher end accommodations available in the area.
Looking to ride moderate trails about 10 miles a day for 2 or 3 days.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
SR Suntour
125 Posts
Define warm? Bentonville jumps out at me right away, although it'll be good mountain biking weather most likely, warm might not be the term I'd use. If you're looking for a fun getaway with mountain biking available, I'd look at Sarasota/Tampa. We rented sweet bikes from AJs Bike and Boards and rode at Balm Boyette and Alafia. Both are excellent trail systems that have plenty of green trails, very approachable Blue/Black trails but also some pretty crazy gnar. Riding in Florida is kind of like riding on the moon (especially Alafia) and you won't soon forget it. Ride in the morning, beaches in the afternoon.

My next winter trip would be Vegas (cheap flights) and then heading up to Hurricane, UT for some sweet mesa riding on a couple IMBA epics and hitting some national parks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Warm - anything over 65. 60 in the morning would be ok.

I’ll check out Balm Boyette and Alafia. I know I can get a direct flight to Tampa from Milwaukee.
I’ll also look into Bentonville.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been hiking in Sedona but not biking.
Another good option.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I would stick with AZ. Sedona probably doesn't hit your mark of 65 but PHX and Tucson have legitimate shots. Florida may have the temperatures you're after but they have NO mountains. You might be on a bike on dirt but you aren't mountain biking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would stick with AZ. Sedona probably doesn't hit your mark of 65 but PHX and Tucson have legitimate shots. Florida may have the temperatures you're after but they have NO mountains. You might be on a bike on dirt but you aren't mountain biking.
That’s a good point.
PHX is on the list. I plan on making this an annual trip, going somewhere different every year.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
There are very few things I'll defend Florida on, but fun having fun MTBing is one of them. No mountains but they make great use of terrain and what little elevation they have. Plus the wildlife viewing, vegetation and environment are very cool. For a short trip there is more than enough in the Tampa area. Someone mentioned Alafia and Balm Boyette, then there is also Carter Rd aka Loyce Harpe Park near Mulberry. I did a work trip last year and took a couple days off to make for a 4-day weekend - trip report linked below. Carter Rd was my favorite ride followed by Alafia and BB. I thought Santos/Ocala was overrated and wouldn't bother with Hillsborough again. I'd definitely consider FL as a trip for February time frame. If you have more than a few days then yeah, AZ is the place to go. Temps will be cooler in the mornings though but warms up fast.

http://forums.mtbr.com/southeast-mi...report-riding-florida-feb-2017-a-1066048.html

·
Registered
237 Posts
Solid+1 the suggestions for Tucson. I've been going down there for the past 4 years and will continue to go any chance I get.

Super fun riding at TMP, Mt. Lemmon and along the Arizona Trail. Great cycling scene with friendly people. Amazing food, cool little downtown core, good beer if that's your thing. So many things I love with such contrasting differences to where I live.

Being such a cycling city Tucson has many great bike shops. Tracking down quality rentals shouldn't be an issue. I'd talk to the staff at Arizona Cyclist on Broadway, they'd be able to help steer you in the right direction.

I love Tucson!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are very few things I'll defend Florida on, but fun having fun MTBing is one of them. No mountains but they make great use of terrain and what little elevation they have. Plus the wildlife viewing, vegetation and environment are very cool. For a short trip there is more than enough in the Tampa area. Someone mentioned Alafia and Balm Boyette, then there is also Carter Rd aka Loyce Harpe Park near Mulberry. I did a work trip last year and took a couple days off to make for a 4-day weekend - trip report linked below. Carter Rd was my favorite ride followed by Alafia and BB. I thought Santos/Ocala was overrated and wouldn't bother with Hillsborough again. I'd definitely consider FL as a trip for February time frame. If you have more than a few days then yeah, AZ is the place to go. Temps will be cooler in the mornings though but warms up fast.

http://forums.mtbr.com/southeast-mi...report-riding-florida-feb-2017-a-1066048.html
Evdog, thanks for all your really great info.
We’ve decided on Alafia and BB this year.

Thanks again for your post.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Solid+1 the suggestions for Tucson. I've been going down there for the past 4 years and will continue to go any chance I get.

Super fun riding at TMP, Mt. Lemmon and along the Arizona Trail. Great cycling scene with friendly people. Amazing food, cool little downtown core, good beer if that's your thing. So many things I love with such contrasting differences to where I live.

Being such a cycling city Tucson has many great bike shops. Tracking down quality rentals shouldn't be an issue. I'd talk to the staff at Arizona Cyclist on Broadway, they'd be able to help steer you in the right direction.

I love Tucson!
Addy Marx, thanks for your suggestion.

We’ve decided on the Tampa area this year, but we’ll probably check out AZ next year.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your first-hand knowledge, it will come in useful.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Addy Marx, thanks for your suggestion.

We’ve decided on the Tampa area this year, but we’ll probably check out AZ next year.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your first-hand knowledge, it will come in useful.
Not a problem at all. Have a great time on your trip!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
if you plan on Tucson in feb next year you could always stop and go watch the 24 hours in the Old Pueblo. its a 24 hour XC race outside Tucson. Fun event to ride and watch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you plan on Tucson in feb next year you could always stop and go watch the 24 hours in the Old Pueblo. its a 24 hour XC race outside Tucson. Fun event to ride and watch.
Thanks for the tip, I’ll keep that in mind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts