Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a jacket while commuting in 30 degree weather (thats the coldest it will get) that is breathable and preferably wind proof with some water resistance. Tried a Cirq Rowan but it got clammy and sealed in the sweat, although it did say it was breathable. I have a Pearl Izumi track jacket but it isn't wind proof and pretty thin. I don't ride in the rain but sometimes it get pretty foggy and end up pretty damp. Thanks for any help!

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
I have a north face apex android soft shell. It's warmer than you would think, rainproof and wind proof. I love the thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Get wool sweater 2 sizes too large for you, wash in hot water and then the dryer. It's called felting, works well.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
When *proof *tex membrane clothes are marketed as "breathable", they mean "more breathable than rubber", which is the older material for rain gear. They are OK if you only wear a light base layer underneath and don't ride hard.

Also look for something with zippered openings in the armpits. They help a lot.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I recommend a softshell jacket. I have one from MEC that I wear for mtb and a Patagonia Simple Guide for hiking and general wear. Either one would be a good choice. No BS fleece lining as I want a versatile jacket. I have mtb down to -10C with a couple of thin merino tops underneath and was quite comfortable. With just an unlined shell you can layer up or not to suit conditions. With a fleece inner lining sometimes it just going to be too warm. I often wear mine with 1 thin merino top underneath. Not too warm but protects from the wind and damp. Not good in steady rain but fine for light showers, drizzle, and fog. I went with a hood that fits over my helmet.
Patagonia Simple Guide Hoody Review - OutdoorGearLab

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
Awesome thank you! I found the Apex Bionic which looks the same but no hood.
yep all preference. i like hoods but no problem without. i wear a tshirt underneath, light fleece if its Baltic cold. i like to be able to move so the less layers under the better.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
A wool or silk base layer, with wool mid-layer and/or wool sweater, over that a mid-weight wool jacket, and a light weight waterproof layer for when it gets wet. This combination gets me from 50F down to around 0F. Of course, below 30F a wool scarf is highly recommended.

I don't want to shill for any one company, but Icebreaker is the best I've used in terms of comfort, warmth, and durability.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
A wool or silk base layer, with wool mid-layer and/or wool sweater, over that a mid-weight wool jacket, and a light weight waterproof layer for when it gets wet. This combination gets me from 50F down to around 0F. Of course, below 30F a wool scarf is highly recommended.

I don't want to shill for any one company, but Icebreaker is the best I've used in terms of comfort, warmth, and durability.
Love merino wool and have Ibex, Icebreaker, Patagonia, I/O Bio and Stoic and the order shows the quality. When skiing my 320 weight Icebreaker leaves me cold at 25 while my Ibex sweater has me warm at 10F. Personally I think Ibex is the best tested, but Icebreaker is softer while Ibex is a denser knit. But the Ibex is medium weight and I usually wear lightweight (Patagonia, I/O Bio) cycling unless below freezing. Stoic is the cheapest, poorest style and thinnest but still works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check out the review for this dude, the Eddie Bauer/First Ascent Accelerant Jacket:

Climbing magazine Editors' Choice 2013: Eddie Bauer First Ascent Accelerant Jacket - YouTube

Won all sorts of awards, and has long arms - perfect for riding. Sizing options include tall as well, and I think I'm gonna get one. Windproof, will shed some water, and has a hood that looks like it would fit under a helmet if you needed it too. *Winner of Climbing Magazine 2013 Editors' Choice Award - *Winner of Backpacker Magazine 2013 Editors' Choice Award. Not sure i would have thought that from Eddie Bauer, but you can't argue with results...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts