Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally new to bicycle restoration. This was a friends fathers bike and has been hanging in a barn for years. I'm going to take a shot at restoring it. Any suggestions on "howto" resources would be great. If anyone has any idea of the age of this model I'd love that too. I understand Wards Hawthorns were produced by a veriety of makers between 1934 and 1960 for Wards department stores.

I had never seen anything like this chain so I included a photo of it too. Pretty cool. I bet this chain ring will last forever!

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If I had to guess I would say pre wwII. Definately made for MW, but by who I don't know.

The chain is an inch pitch and you can still get them today.

Will look nice with some elbow grease and a new paintjob on it but it probably will not ever have alot of collector value. Will make a good parade bike though! Looks like all the parts are there to me. Tires and tubes shouldn't be hard to find either. Good luck with it.

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
Skip Tooth

nickv said:
I had never seen anything like this chain so I included a photo of it too. Pretty cool. I bet this chain ring will last forever!

Cheers!
The chain/chainring is often called a "skip-tooth" and was common on bikes from the 40's. Check the condition of the chain link side plates for cracks radiating from the pin holes -- I've had them break before. A replacement chain can be a bit pricy if you can find one.
I have a few old cruisers in the fleet. I prefer to make the mechanically sound (clean/grease/adjust bearings, carefully remove rust, new tubes and tires if necessary) and run them as-is. I believe the run down original look shows the bikes character. That being said, I also have one from the '70s that I've 'hot rodded' and will eventually get paint, but the rest remain as I've found them.

They're a lot of fun for trips to the store, park, around the block with the kids, etc.

Cheers! and have fun!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Definitely mid to late 30s. The giveaway is the way the rear dropouts face to the back of the frame. For some reason, bike manufacturers switched to the forward-facing dropouts after WWII.

I'd clean it up, make it mechanically sound, and ride it as-is, has more vintage soul that way.

Mark has a really good set of resto tips and instructions on his site:

http://www.bunchobikes.com/

Have fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.