Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently on a 2013 fuel ex 9.8 and would need advise if i could change to a 2x10 (am a noob lol).

My current setup is a 3x10, cassette 11-36 and crank 42/32/24.
If i were to buy M785 XT 26x38 chainrings, do i only need to swap the chainrings and select the 2x10 option on the shifter and it works?

Or do i need to shorten the chain and get a new 2x10 front derailleur?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You can change to 2x10 by changing chainrings, but your chainline would be better with a 2 ring crankset. There are front derailleurs and shifters made specifically for 2x10, but in my opinion there is no need to change them - your existing front shifter and derailleur work fine.

You simply need to set the high gear stop on your derailleur so that the shifter won't move the chain past the big (now your middle) ring - so you won't be able to click into the top gear position on your front shifter.

You will likely want to shorten the chain a bit, but it really depends on how long your chain is now - the chain really just needs to be barely long enough to shift onto and off of the big-big combination. The shortest chain that works on all combinations is desirable because you will have more chain tension and fewer chain drops.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Great response. I have similar setup thoughts and wondering if I would need to raise the mount position on front der to accomidate taller first ring, or if the derailleur limit screws can be adjusted so it stops earlier for 26 and down earier for the 38 I.e. basically adjust hi/low for the new rings in the middle range setting on the 3x swing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I am running a 25-38 and I have the front derailleur height so that it just barely clears the teeth of the big ring. My setup is more challenging because I use Rotor Q-Rings (oval) so setup of the front derailleur is really finicky. You want it to just barely clear the big ring to keep it from dropping off - so generally you will lower it from your existing three ring setup.

You set it up so that what is now your big ring is indexed to the middle position on the shifter and the low gear adjustment screw is basically what indexes the small ring. The high gear adjustment screw will have to turn in quite a bit on your current 3x derailleur.

I love the 2x setup.....I wouldn't change back to a three ring setup, but a 1x might happen someday if the right components become available - I don't think it's worth the money right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.