Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Avidcyclist
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just bought a new 2018 trek roscoe 8 and decided to make it into a project for my nephew, he doesn't ride hard trails yet. It is something to get him around for now... the current drivetrain is a Sram xn 1x11 and I am looking for a budget friendly kit that I can buy to change it out. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,516 Posts
NX 11 speed is a budget friendly drivetrain that is great for beginners.
No need to change anything.
I do suppose that you could change the shifter to Grip Shift. (Yuck!)

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you want to keep it at 11 speed, you can upgrade it to a GX level which would be one step up or really mix or match any of the Sram 11 speed parts such as X1 or XX1, or you can go with a Shimano groupset such as SLX or XT.
Keep in mind you have Shimano freehub bodies so if you change cassette to any other Sram offerings, you would need to swap the freehub body to a XD driver

·
Rabid Lana Fan
10,214 Posts
Yeah, not sure why they didn't go with XD on the full line of their offerings. Probably something about not wanting to box themselves out of OEM sales.

You ever notice that lots of mid-range bikes with otherwise really good components spec seem to come with SRAM NX drivetrains?

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
Yeah, not sure why they didn't go with XD on the full line of their offerings. Probably something about not wanting to box themselves out of OEM sales.

You ever notice that lots of mid-range bikes with otherwise really good components spec seem to come with SRAM NX drivetrains?
Yup makes sense, good call. Also funny - they call it a 'non-XD driver freehub' on the site. You mean a Shimano freehub? :p

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
It's simply that there's no way to make an XD-compatible cassette as cheap as HG. The bottom cogs on XD don't have a spline to ride on, they have to be attached to each other and that costs more (XD was originally intended to be only for the high-end groups, it was never intended to replace HG. Marketing on the 10t cog was a little too successful).

·
jcd's best friend
3,399 Posts
There really isn't a need to upgrade the NX 1x11, especially when you are starting out as a rider. If you absolutely want to turn it into a project, just go for a SRAM NX Eagle 1x12. It would probably be overkill for a kid, but if the idea is to create a project as a form of bonding, then I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This thread made me realize that among my boys and me we currently have bikes setup with: 3x9, 2x10, 3x10, 1x11, 2x11, 1x12 not counting the two tandems, road bikes, unicycles, striders, etc! All of them work just fine as they are.

AM.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'd say keep the drivetrain, so many other upgrades could be done that would actually make a difference.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Would be nice if the OP chimed in, but

Maybe he wants to put the NX on a different bike and "down-grade" the bike for his nephew?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.