Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont really want to pay $20 bucks for a plastic Spec fender. Has anyone made a fender or wrap around protector? if so please post pics(if you can) and instructions on how to make it. thanks in advance

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
d365 said:
i dont really want to pay $20 bucks for a plastic Spec fender. Has anyone made a fender or wrap around protector? if so please post pics(if you can) and instructions on how to make it. thanks in advance
Considering the part that gets trashed cost $20 from Push, when they rebuild it for you, I don't see the point.

And this is coming from someone who took the time and trouble to make one. Not worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you do a search, you can probably find a guy who made one out of a black baby wipes container. I stumbled upon that one of my days drifting through these forums. But I have to say "Why?!" No disrespect, but come on. You just spent $2000 or more on a bicycle with the latest technology and you don't want to spend another $15.99 for an engineered part designed for our bikes? I just don't get it. Maybe I'm a sucker to spend the 16 bucks, but it works and looks good, it comes with the zip ties and it doesn't move or rattle......Sorry for the rant, just my .02. Good luck and welcome to the club.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
99rioredsnake said:
If you do a search, you can probably find a guy who made one out of a black baby wipes container. I stumbled upon that one of my days drifting through these forums. But I have to say "Why?!" No disrespect, but come on. You just spent $2000 or more on a bicycle with the latest technology and you don't want to spend another $15.99 for an engineered part designed for our bikes? I just don't get it. Maybe I'm a sucker to spend the 16 bucks, but it works and looks good, it comes with the zip ties and it doesn't move or rattle......Sorry for the rant, just my .02. Good luck and welcome to the club.:thumbsup:
I was the one that made it out of a black plastic container. Why, you ask? Because my design is simply taller and performs better than the $16 Specialized fender. It is secured with three zip ties and doesn't move or rattle. Not only that, I didn't feel like waiting a month for the Spec fender to arrive.

BTW, I spent the money I saved on a WTB saddle :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry Lumbee1, didn't mean to infer that yours rattles or anything. You're obviously quite handy and inventive. I guess I'm just lucky my LBS had them in stock. I wouldn't have even thought about making one myself. If I did, mine would have rattled for sure. I just see an issue and throw money at it. Like tubes, I don't patch them anymore I just buy a new one. Oh well.........

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
99rioredsnake said:
Baby wipes container? That's just ridiculous. I used the black plastic lid from 3lb Folger's coffee container. :)

Lou.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
upstateSC-rider said:
Baby wipes container? That's just ridiculous. I used the black plastic lid from 3lb Folger's coffee container. :)

Lou.
They were just wetwipes, not baby wipes.

My latest project is a flashlight holder made out of PVC, a handlebar reflector mount, gorilla glue, and velcro strips. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Search for Mud flaps

do a search for mud flaps on this forum you'll see pics of over 20 homemade fenders. I tried to make one it looked like crap. So I spent the money and never worried about it again. I've had it 2 years, no problems, no adjustments since I put it on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Unbolt the rear eye of the shock, take a piece of that tube that you're too rich to patch (2-3"), slip it over the end of the shock kinda like your condom, one zip tie around the shock just above the lip, presto and practically free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.