Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
wanted: do all 29er/Ionic steelhead 29er

I am seeking a steel 29er frame. one that will allow disc or rim brake, single speed or a cassette, without a EBB, clearance for at least 2.3 preferably with some room to spare. I am gathering parts for a light build so the frame shoudnt be overly obese. x and most importantly it shouldnt be made in a sweat shop here or Europe would suit me. It seem there are only three after reading everyones suggestions and looking like crazy online. Soma Juice, Surly Karate monkey, Ionic Steelhead 29, Or opt for a couple year old On One inbred. The juice is not that appealing to me the KM and ON one are tanks but I like the geometry of the inbred. So for a reasonable $850 I get exactly what I want and for another 100 I can custom spec everything. And with the great riding and standover of a sloped top tube and super quality tubing and 4 lb frame set it wont give much up anywhere on the cross bike it replaces as a more versatile member of the family. I figure road, cross, cruiser, MTB all I need is a different wheelset and tires( I am much too lazy and picky to get by with 2 sets of rims and 4 sets of tires anyways Ill let everyone know how it goes think light....22 lb as a goal well see.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Second for Black Sheep, call James...he can do anything that one!!:thumbsup:

·
RYD W/ FLO
335 Posts
Sounds like you need a nice hand built Willits, Wolfhound, Blacksheep, Badger, or a frame from any of the other high end custom builders out there.

look around and pick your favorite artist!

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
My couple year old On-One Inbred meets the requirement of steel, V or disc brake, SS or (ooooh!) geared. :D

I'm not sure what size you are needing, but here is one on eBay (not mine).

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
If you want all of your frame requirements, and it needs to not be made in a 'sweatshop', then custom/boutique builder is your only choice.

"Sweatshop" frames that fit your description:
Surly KM - a bit portly, but very functional
Redline Monocog
On-One Inbred
Soma Juice

I don't really think the Taiwanese shops are 'sweatshops' like the places that make our Nike shoes, but you have every right to not want to buy a bike produced there. It is, however, going to limit your choices greatly...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks sound like a on one inbred it is thanks ihave a this and a that bike now i can have a what i want it to be this week bike and thats always good for spare part usage. any ideas or opinions on the weight or handling or anything else of the inbred?? I appreciate the help.these bikes are great if your a taller guy. Im glad i didnt have to buy the monkey...

·
Registered
13 Posts
The new (tan) inbred frame lacks v-brake mounts. Not that you will miss them. The between the stays brake mount eliminates the biggest hassle of running disks and horizontal dropouts.

Other than that, you have a reasonable frame weight, mech hanger, rack mounts in 19.5 and larger, and reasonable price.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
beeblebrox said:
any ideas or opinions on the weight or handling or anything else of the inbred??
One of the sweetest and best balanced bikes I have ridden in my time on mountain bikes. I bought my first mountain bike in 1979 from some crazy dudes up in Marin. I cannot remember how many bikes I'v had over the years, but the Inbred is my only MTB at this point.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The used inbreds are nice but Id really would like a new bike a little diet wouldnt hurt the inbred... I found Ionics sight and for 850 you get awesome geometry all the options you could hope for, another 100 gets you full custom spec either way you get top shelf steel. Ill order mine soon.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Don't sweat the weight of the inbred. It weighs exactly the weight of one bike, no more, no less.

·
artistic...
7,608 Posts
beeblebrox said:
evil that was worthless and moronic thank you.:madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: g
sooo... how long will take ionic to deliver?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts