Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why?

Save yourself a few hundred dollars and have some wheels built by your LBS(Red Jersey). If thats not an option, some guys on this forum will do a great job.(ie:Mike @ oddsandendos, Larry @ Mountain High )

I found that the bearings in my SL's didn't hold up to NH riding, so I sold the 1 year old set. With the proceeds, I had Mike make a lighter, stiffer, and more durable wheelset.

I had to learn the hard way but, IMHO prebuilt wheels aren't worth the high price tag. Give one of these guys a call and find the multiple of options out there.

Later, Rob

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
ryeder said:
Save yourself a few hundred dollars and have some wheels built by your LBS(Red Jersey). If thats not an option, some guys on this forum will do a great job.(ie:Mike @ oddsandendos, Larry @ Mountain High )

I found that the bearings in my SL's didn't hold up to NH riding, so I sold the 1 year old set. With the proceeds, I had Mike make a lighter, stiffer, and more durable wheelset.

I had to learn the hard way but, IMHO prebuilt wheels aren't worth the high price tag. Give one of these guys a call and find the multiple of options out there.

Later, Rob
Is it possible to build a reliable disc wheel as light as the Crossmax SL using Mavic 819 rims? Those rims are not very light and I don't see myself using a non-UST rim. I ask for me but maybe that's why he wants Crossmax SL disc. I'm wondering too except I would need a Lefty-compatible wheelset.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Is it possible to build a reliable disc wheel as light as the Crossmax SL using Mavic 819 rims? Those rims are not very light and I don't see myself using a non-UST rim. I ask for me but maybe that's why he wants Crossmax SL disc. I'm wondering too except I would need a Lefty-compatible wheelset.
You can get pretty close. I did a quick check and a 819/DT 240s/CX-Ray set is ~100g more than the XM SL claimed weight, is easier to repair and uses 32 spokes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Reliability?

Dan Gerous said:
When you say a "reliable" wheelset, I assume you mean it stays true and won't taco. I have never had a problem with bending rims, more of an XC guy. For me the Xmax stayed true enough but the bearings needed replacing far too often. Not reliable in my book.

I went with the Stan's Olympic/240s/DT Supercomp combo, came in at 1450g w/o skewers and tape. The Xmax SL's were 1700g on the dot. I realize these are not true UST rims, but for what this wheelset cost and a 250g savings, I'm willing to try them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.