Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a new Inbred on the way I find myself lacking in modern bicycle technology knowledge. I know everyone has favorite parts for varied reasons but I'm not afraid to ask for help and read pages (hopefully) of useful information.

Keep in mind the last new mountain bike(multi-geared) I bought was in 1995.

Also, while I'm not afraid to spend money, if something is cheap, light and effective I'll use it.

So here's the list of parts I need help with...

Disc brake Hubs. I'm inclined to keep it simple & light with V-brakes but I'd like to know if there's an overriding reason why I should have disc brakes. I'd ideally like to have it be a single speed freehub body, like on a DT hub. What's out there?

Disc brakes Vs. V-brakes. What's the poop? If pressed I'd buy a set of Paul's, Cane Creek or Avid V-brakes and get it done. But why not Avid Disc Brakes? I'm not really intersted in mineral oil system disc brakes.

Cranks. I see OEM ss cranks on bikes but there's got to be options. I'm anti-carbon too. If there's a crank & bottom bracket duo that is "the way to go" I'd like to kow about it.

Rims. Rim brake or Disc brake info needed. With that, is anyone running UST set ups?

Otherwise, I have the other parts covered.

Oh, and I'm not in a rush either. First race isn't until May 7th.

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
SS UST and Brakes...

Caffeine Powered said:
Rims. Rim brake or Disc brake info needed. With that, is anyone running UST set ups?
Built up a UST wheelset for my steel Monocog this year, Phil Wood hubs, DT Swiss butted spokes, brass nips and Mavic UST 819 rim brake surface rims. I run an Avid mechanical disk (7") on the front, and an Avid Single Digit SL rim brake on the rear. Fork is disk only so front Phil hub is disk (front rim has rim brake surface too), rear hub is non-disk freewheel BMX hub, so running a rim brake on rear, but frame has disk mounts that I can't use). Like the rim brake on the rear for easy brake pad adjustment when I change gear ratios anyway, and don't have to remove a rear disk caliper to pull the rear wheel. This is a horizontal dropout frame with chain tugs. If it were a vert. drop with an eccentric BB, I would probably have put a disk on the rear too.

I use (Maxxis) UST tires because I like the tread types, sidewall durability and ride and handling feel, but you can use any non-tubeless tires with Stans.

Speaking of disks, do it where you can. No mud/grit/snow/ice rim wear and performance hits in the weather. Avid mehanicals have great modulation and lever feel if you use the right brake levers. I use Avid Speed Dial levers. Or go Avid Juicy hydros, the easiest hydro disk brakes to bleed. I like the Juicy Sevens for their pad contact point adjustment (but i have Juicy Fives on one bike and like them too). Juicys use regular motorcycle DOT 4 or 5.1 fluid, use the same pads as the mechanicals and the '05s and newer work great and are not hard to set up. Avid mechanicals are great brakes and easy to work on, but in my opinion, if going disk today, only reason to go with them on a mountain bike is to match the lever type and feel if you are running one rim brake, or if the budget is the primary issue. Hydros are no more maint. intensive than mechanicals once you set them up, and the pads wear on both, just like all brakes do.

Cheers,

Dave

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
Here's my few pennies - take it for what its worth...

Caffeine Powered said:
Disc brake Hubs. DT Makes SS Cassette Hubs - http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=hubs.bikedetail&id=26 I run King 9 speed disc hubs with the correct amount of spacers to make my wheels SS.

Disc brakes Vs. V-brakes. - really up to you and where you ride... for me in muddy cruddy Ohio- discs are the best thing since selling my geared bikes. Its a personal preference - I doubt you'll ever find a person riding disc brakes complaining about how well they work... you can also go Avid Discs - as they are cable operated and no brake fluid and they work great. (I'm disc biased) - I currently have XTR Disc Brakes - but have run Hayes with no issues too.

Cranks. - totally open here also - you can use a SS Specific crank or use a geared crank. White Industries makes a great ENO SS Specific crank. I run a XTR M960 crank converted to SS with Jericho ring and Bash guard. No particular reason - liked the way it looked. If I couldn't have the XTR Crank - I'd have a White Eno on it.

Rims. Rim brake or Disc brake info needed. I'm running the Mavic XM819 on both wheelsets. Love the rim - very durable and they are UST. I had been running the Mavic X317s before that but they were converted to Stans No Tubes about 2-3 years before that - I love the UST stuff... only took 3 pinch flats on the trail before that to convert me. In my area before tubeless I couldn't ride a season without a flat - and now I'm on my second season without - I'll probably get one next time out for saying so - but I'm due. I also run Hutchinson, Schwalbe and IRC UST Tires with no issues.

QUOTE]

Hope that helps
FF

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Disc brakes offer consistent braking in all conditions. Decreased lever effort to reduce hand fatigue. Better modulation once you get use to them. Never wear through the rim sidewall.

The Avid cable discs are my choice because of their adjustability to get the exact feel I like.

Hub: The DTs are good. Lots of other good choices, too. If you get a FW hub get a White Industries ENO FW once you decide on your gearing.

Rims: If you already run low pressures and rarely pinch flat there is little reason to go with tubeless. If you do go tubeless get Mavic UST or Bontrager tubeless rims and use tubeless tires.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Disc brakes perform better than rim brakes. That said, if you have been happily riding the same bike since 1995 and it has canti brakes, you might not need to spend more money and add weight to your bike to acheive "better". I own mechanical disc and V brake equipped bikes, but my newest SS 29er has Paul Neo Retros and I am very satisfied with their performance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.