Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the 1992 Bridgestone bicycle catalog? I have the 89, 90, 91, and 93 catalogs. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
MB1 info needed

scurra said:
Anyone have the 1992 Bridgestone bicycle catalog? I have the 89, 90, 91, and 93 catalogs. Thanks.
Seeing as how your a Bridgestone info junky thought you might have info on a Bridgestone MB1 frame and componets I just picked up. It was listed as a 1986 version. Serial # C417180. The frame has stickers on it stating that the tubing is double-butted, 4130 CroMoly. Its lugged and made in Japan. Frame is a very, very dark blue color, with MB-1 letters on seat tube. The forks have a boxed crown and also are labled 4130 CroMoly. It came it a nice set of Nitto bullmoose bars made of alumunium, Shimano 600 headset, Sugino AT triple cranks, SR laprade seatpost, Shimano BL-M700 brake levers, and BR-MC70 cantilever brakes. Would you have any knowlege on this bike? Like what were the original componets, wheelset, etc. ? And what was the 1st year of the MB-1's? My email is [email protected].

thx
ken

·
Registered
184 Posts
kb11 said:
Seeing as how your a Bridgestone info junky thought you might have info on a Bridgestone MB1 frame and componets I just picked up. It was listed as a 1986 version. Serial # C417180. The frame has stickers on it stating that the tubing is double-butted, 4130 CroMoly. Its lugged and made in Japan. Frame is a very, very dark blue color, with MB-1 letters on seat tube. The forks have a boxed crown and also are labled 4130 CroMoly. It came it a nice set of Nitto bullmoose bars made of alumunium, Shimano 600 headset, Sugino AT triple cranks, SR laprade seatpost, Shimano BL-M700 brake levers, and BR-MC70 cantilever brakes. Would you have any knowlege on this bike? Like what were the original componets, wheelset, etc. ? And what was the 1st year of the MB-1's? My email is [email protected].

thx
ken
Sounds like mostly original parts, although I don't have the catalog available. The most recent Rivendell reader had a Bridgestone retrospective, here's what Grant says about the 1986 MB-1:

"1986: The first mountain bike with toe clips, quick release wheels, a racing saddle, narrow handlebars, "two-finger" brake levers, progressive geometry, and Ritchey tires. It was red."

You might want to e-mail or call Grant at Rivendell Bicycle Works and ask him if he can decode the serial number. He's a really nice guy, I'm sure he'd be willing to help you.

--Shannon

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
kb11 said:
Ken, that is an early B'stone. The first digits of the serial number tell you the manufacture date. Your s/n is C417180, which is ... C=March (a=jan, b=feb, etc.), 4=1984 (could have been '94 also, but unlikely based on bike color and components), 17=day of month made. So your bike was made on March 17, 1984.

I believe that Bridgestone USA was started in '84, making your bike one of the first model year bikes. Bridgestone had been making bikes for a long time prior to '84 however. They were a mjor builder of bikes in Asia, and subsontracing out to other companies (including Schwinns). Several years ealier they had attempted to enter the North American market under teh Bridgestone name, and not done too well. There is a series or road bikes with model names that are all named after stars (astrological stars, not hollywood stars). I'm not sure how long Bridgestone offered this line, but it eventually died out. In '84 Bridgestone USA (or was it Bridgestone America?) was reorganized and the more popular MB1, MB2, RB1, RB2, etc, models were offered. Grant Peterson was hired, but it took several years before he exerted the control that he had on later models.

Bridgestone USA was a subsidary ot Bridgestone (Japan). They designed and speced their own bikes, which were then manufactured in Japan or Tawian (depending on the model) by Bridgestone (Japan).

Most members of BOB (Bridgestone Owners Bunch) get excited about the later bikes which were more unique to the industry than the earlier bikes.

Also check here: http://search.bikelist.org/
Loook of search under internet-BOB for more B'stone info.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thanks for the info, I thought it was possibly an '84 or '85. Looks like another project bike for me, lol. I have a set of early shimano M700 shifters and derailleurs and an Avocet Touring I seat for this. Any idea of what wheelset would of come with this? Maybe Shimano HB-MN72 or Suzue hubs with Araya RM20 rims or a set of early Specialized Sealed hubs with Saturae HX22 rims?

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
kb11 said:
Thanks for the info, I thought it was possibly an '84 or '85. Looks like another project bike for me, lol. I have a set of early shimano M700 shifters and derailleurs and an Avocet Touring I seat for this. Any idea of what wheelset would of come with this? Maybe Shimano HB-MN72 or Suzue hubs with Araya RM20 rims or a set of early Specialized Sealed hubs with Saturae HX22 rims?
No idea. I keep track of the later model bikes, but don't know tons about the early ones. I currently have a '93 XO-1, and a '94 MB-1, and I used to own an '89 MB-1, and briefly had a '90 MB-2. My knowledge of earlier bikes is limited.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Is that the one with the baseball cards?

scurra said:
I think my wife worked on that catalog. She's a graphic designer. She definitely worked on the '93. That would be good to take a look at. If you find it, pleas violate some copyright and post it here.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thread grew!!! Awsome!

I started my obsession with Bridgestone back in 1993, with a new MB-5 in pearl white (looked like the MB0 I saw in magazine). Like everyone I sold the old to finance the new.I mean why would anyone want a 1993 mountain bike? I chucked all of my catalogs I drulled over. Back in 1993 I had a hudge crush on the Bridgestone MB-0, and a few years ago I got a chance to own one.

The bike is mint, with original everything, including tubes, tires, rings, and cables, which ae typically the first things to go. I have the owners manual, plastic bag, sales reciept, down payment reciept, June 1990 MBA, and the 4 years of catalogs I mentioned above.
I'm still a little fuzzy on the year (1990), because of the decals on the fork don't match the 1990 catalog. The June 1990 MBA shows the same Ritchey sticker on the side of the fork. The 1990 catalog is missing the sticker. If you look at the 1991 catalog the fork is the same but frame and parts are totally different. I guess I have a late model year bike, which has the newer fork then the catalog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.