Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 Kona Hoss Deluxe love the bike.. in the market to upgrade wheels for single track XC, nothing really hairy. I will keep the set I have and use the 2nd set for riding fast, the wheelset on it now is set up for DirtJump, Freeride etc.... Any suggestions???

I am 6'5" 280 hard... and I ride hard and fast as my lungs and legs will take for me for as long as they will take me.... Thanks....

·
Registered
78 Posts
No expert, but

I've been riding Sun Rhyno Lites with no problems. They're probably heavier than most but very clyde worthy (6'2"/225#) and less expensive too. I've also ridden Mavic 317 xc 32 hole rims with no problems( now called 517's I think). That's my story. Good luck.
Ride on,
Leonard

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
57clydesdale said:
I've been riding Sun Rhyno Lites with no problems. They're probably heavier than most but very clyde worthy (6'2"/225#) and less expensive too. I've also ridden Mavic 317 xc 32 hole rims with no problems( now called 517's I think). That's my story. Good luck.
Ride on,
Leonard
The Mavic 321s are supposed to be great as well, cheap and very strong.

If he was running rim brakes I'd suggest the Cane Creek Aeroheats (you can pick up a set for $250 ) which have stood me proud, but I think the Hoss Dee-Lux uses Discs.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Mavic XL's or Speed Dream

Blacklight Pro said:
I have a 05 Kona Hoss Deluxe love the bike.. in the market to upgrade wheels for single track XC, nothing really hairy. I will keep the set I have and use the 2nd set for riding fast, the wheelset on it now is set up for DirtJump, Freeride etc.... Any suggestions???

I am 6'5" 280 hard... and I ride hard and fast as my lungs and legs will take for me for as long as they will take me.... Thanks....
I run two wheel sets that I really like:

- Mavix XL Disc: Bomb proof. High quality. A little heavy but then again, so am I.
I've been riding these for about 2 years and theey've held up really well on my 5-Spot and before that, on my singlespeed.

- Custom Wheels by Dave Thomas, owner of Speed Dream (http://speeddream.com/) Bomb proof. Very high quality. Lightweight. Dave is a wheel building pro. He will interview you before building your wheels and then design a wheel set to match your riding style. I've been riding a set of Dave's lightweight (for a clyde) wheels for four years. They've never required trueing. I told him in no uncertain terms when I bought them that I was a masher, a clyde and I wanted wheels that were bomb proof and not lightweight. His comment to me was that I should expect his wheels to be bombproof AND lightweight. Four years later, I have nothing but good things to say about his wheels.

Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.